Author Topic: Drive Chain adjustment INT650  (Read 10861 times)

Roshiba777

• Grease Monkey
on: September 04, 2019, 03:56:19 pm
Hello everyone my bike has run 6000 kms and in this period the drive chain adjustment has reached almost at end is this normal or there any problem with the chain otherwise the chain is in excellent condition attaching few pics have a look
Royal Enfield CI 500 (2000)
Royal Enfield STD UCE 500 (2010)
Royal Enfield Classic 500 (2011)
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 (2011)
Yamaha RD350 (1988)
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 (2019)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 06:41:45 pm
Hello everyone my bike has run 6000 kms and in this period the drive chain adjustment has reached almost at end is this normal or there any problem with the chain otherwise the chain is in excellent condition attaching few pics have a look

Looks like the axle is a little past 1/2 way back to me.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 10:19:55 pm
Same here. It looks like you have some adjustment left. That amount of adjustment used up in 6000km isn't sensational but RE aren't famous for using good quality chains. Just use it up and replace it with a Reynolds or DID chain.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 12:14:40 am
I say, replace it.

The original chain on my G5 was basically wore out by the time the motorcycle had traveled 3800 miles (6130 km). I always kept it well oiled and clean.

I replaced it with a quality chain made in the USA and that chain lasted for over 18,000 miles (29000 km) and even then it really didn't need replacing.

Buy a DID, RK, or EK chain.  It will last for many years and is worth the hassle of finding it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Roshiba777

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 04:19:38 am
The chain that comes on the interceptor 650 is DID 525 it's cleaned and lubed well every 500 kms
Yamaha RD350 (1988)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 07:43:32 pm
The chain that comes on the interceptor 650 is DID 525 it's cleaned and lubed well every 500 kms
I don't know if this applies to your chain, but I suspect it might.

When I replaced my G5's chain I thought to myself, "I'm going to get a GOOD chain.  I'll buy a Diamond brand chain that's made in the USA", and I did.  Like I say, it lasted for thousands of miles showing no unexpected wear.

Shortly after replacing the chain I got the old one out (I always keep old stuff), and cleaned it up.
Much to my surprise, the links carried the diamond stamping that Diamond stamps on each link. :o  Also marked on each link was the word, "India" showing that this chain was made in India.
This leads me to say, there are "Diamond" brand chains and then, there are "Diamond, India" chains.

Things like chains often have extensive heat treating on the steel parts.  If the Indian Diamond chain company screws this up in the slightest way, the chain will wear out and I suspect this is what happened to the OEM chain.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me to find that some place in India there is also a "DID, India" chain company who doesn't know how to heat treat the steel parts.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 07:55:49 pm
I don't know if this applies to your chain, but I suspect it might.

When I replaced my G5's chain I thought to myself, "I'm going to get a GOOD chain.  I'll buy a Diamond brand chain that's made in the USA", and I did.  Like I say, it lasted for thousands of miles showing no unexpected wear.

Shortly after replacing the chain I got the old one out (I always keep old stuff), and cleaned it up.
Much to my surprise, the links carried the diamond stamping that Diamond stamps on each link. :o  Also marked on each link was the word, "India" showing that this chain was made in India.
This leads me to say, there are "Diamond" brand chains and then, there are "Diamond, India" chains.

Things like chains often have extensive heat treating on the steel parts.  If the Indian Diamond chain company screws this up in the slightest way, the chain will wear out and I suspect this is what happened to the OEM chain.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me to find that some place in India there is also a "DID, India" chain company who doesn't know how to heat treat the steel parts.

Remember when Bausch & Lomb was THE place (like Starrett and Browne & Sharpe?) and now isn't a lot of their infomercial crap Chinese?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 12:58:12 am
Out of curiosity, do the 650s get an O-ring chain ?

Roshiba777

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 03:06:55 am
Out of curiosity, do the 650s get an O-ring chain ?

GlennF yes its Oring chain
Yamaha RD350 (1988)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 11:07:48 am

Interesting. The DID chain on my GT has needed 1 adjustment in 26,000km. It's well cared for but not treated sparingly. The oem chain lasted 10,000. Like arizoni said, I wonder whether DID has an Indian factory to make chains at a local price point? To avoid the 100% import tariff or something?

Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 05:27:34 pm
Back in 82 I met Dutch machinist who had been with Air Canada several decades working on their jet engines

He told me mostly all and best turbine blades available in the world were manufactured in India, that they had full
control over the process from raw materials to finished product and that everybody he was aware of purchased their blades  :)

I used to get custom made longer than stock Sportster triplex primary chain from the Diamond factory in Superior WI. Bulletproof chain!
Guy
19 Conti GT in Dr Mayhem paint 08/24/2019
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 11:00:45 pm
I don't know who the Dutch mechanic was talking about but, the U.S. jet engine company I spent 39 years working for never bought one turbine blade casting or cast bladed turbine wheel from anywhere in India.
They were all cast in the United States.

That also goes for the turbine stator castings that are used in the hot section of the engines.

All of these turbine parts are made from very  specialized alloys consisting of Nickle, Chromium, Cobalt, Molybdenum, Tungsten, Tantalum, Niobium, Aluminum and carbon.  A few of them have traces of iron.

I mention this because many of these elements are difficult to get and the melting processes involved in creating the alloys is in itself an exacting science.

The casting processes involved in making these parts is also very specialized.  Often the process is done in a vacuum or inert gas environment under precision controls to create things like directionally solidified blades.
Not that I don't think the Indian foundries couldn't make them but because the alloys are so specialized I don't think it would be profitable to even try to make them and compete with companies that have spent millions of dollars learning how to produce them.

For some names of these materials that might come in handy at a scrabble party when the conversations start to die, try, Astroloy, Waspaloy, Udimet 720, Hastelloy, Mar-M 247 DS and the old standby's, Inconel 738LC, 792 and 718.

Anyway, off of the high tech subjects and, back to the chains.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 11:51:40 pm
Haha, what about the names of those alloys and processes that you and I would never know for national security reasons?

My point being, just don't assume that metallurgical capabilities and products from any certain country to be automatically inferior to what's USA made  :)
Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 12:42:34 am

My point being, just don't assume that metallurgical capabilities and products from any certain country to be automatically inferior to what's USA made  :)

Obviously India can make very high quality products when they want to. They have a successful space programme and nuclear weapons after all. That high quality doesn't necessarily filter down to the man on the street who wants the most product at the lowest price.
Enfield could have spent a few extra rupees per bike on rubber components that last for years instead of months and I suspect chains are a similar thing. The chain I replaced the stock one with is the same size but it's a whole lot more robust. And probably overkill for this bike. I'd think about going smaller when it's time to buy new chain/sprockets.

IME,  a well cared for genuine DID chain should last many 10,000km's. Or at least several.  Anyway, that chain still looks like it has a bit of life in it. Use it up.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 12:58:13 am
I don't see much difference between building something to a price point and importing said inferior product from offshore.
I've seen some pretty crappy stuff on HD motorcycles and from the Germans over the years also

When it comes to chains I would go smaller offered a choice also! Based on my personal experience
Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning