Author Topic: What did you do to your Iron Barrel today ?  (Read 73941 times)

Noodlees

• Scooter
Reply #360 on: October 24, 2022, 11:16:41 am
Did a really nice trip last two days, in my region "Abruzzo". Had a lot of road (almost 600 Km), with good friends, met really nice spot and mountain pass.

The bike was running really good, smooth and really comfy. Also the new seat I fit it's perfect for long trips (the american chief from Hitch). The only negative aspect is the lights: they are really low and not really bright in the night (I don't know if it's because of some electrical issue or they are just like that).

Today I will bring the bike for a regular check up, and after I will take care of the electric wiring. Hope u will enjoy the pics

Raymond

• Grease Monkey
Reply #361 on: October 24, 2022, 12:17:56 pm
Great pictures, Noodlees. You live in an inspirational part of the world.

I am just glad to be able to use the Bullet nearly every day as we approach the end of October.

Today was just a quick eight-mile loop through a nearby village. The main hazards are damp road, mud left by farmers, wet leaves and low Sun. But hey, late October and it's still mild. Here in Scotland!

In the garage:
2007 Kawasaki W800 SE Polly
1978 Yamaha XS650 Miss November
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #362 on: November 02, 2022, 11:39:41 pm
A beautiful Indian Summer day in the Sangre de Cristo mountains of NM for November 2nd, sunny and 64 degrees F so I went out for a short ride as it may be the last of the season with snow in the forecast for the next two days. All good things including riding season must come to an end. After sitting unused for a month it started second kick and off I went. The odd vibration I've been getting seemed a bit more pronounced but didn't interfere with the ride. When I got home I did find the source, the front engine mounting bolt had lost its nut and washer and on this ride had worked itself half way out of the front cradle. :o Why I didn't see that before I don't know but at least now I'm on my way to fixing it with some Blue Loktite . Anyone know offhand the size of the metric nut is for that bolt? The bike will spend the off season up on the lift for cleaning, detailing and some other small projects giving me some fun shop time with it. With it's trials tires and relatively light weight it will be the first bike to make it down my dirt road and out to the highway next Spring!

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #363 on: November 03, 2022, 01:11:53 am
Anyone know offhand the size of the metric nut is for that bolt?

I don't think it's metric.

Hichcocks list it as 1/2" BSF.

Or do you mean the smaller crankcase stud that goes through the engine itself which is M8 x 1.25 (standard course pitch) on later models.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 01:14:57 am by stinkwheel »

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #364 on: November 03, 2022, 01:50:54 am
No it is the large, long bolt that passes through the frame plates at the bottom of the down tube. My Bullet is a 2006 and it does have metric hardware on it but I don't honestly know these machines as well as you and some of the other members here and I do think there is mix on this bike. If push comes to shove I'll just replace the entire bolt. The other alternative is go through my dreaded "Hell Bucket", A five gallon pail of nuts and bolts that I've tossed in there for 20 odd years. Dumping that on the floor and pawing through it is the equivalent of root canal work for me and my last choice. ;D

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #365 on: November 03, 2022, 10:54:22 am
No it is the large, long bolt that passes through the frame plates at the bottom of the down tube. My Bullet is a 2006 and it does have metric hardware on it but I don't honestly know these machines as well as you and some of the other members here and I do think there is mix on this bike. If push comes to shove I'll just replace the entire bolt. The other alternative is go through my dreaded "Hell Bucket", A five gallon pail of nuts and bolts that I've tossed in there for 20 odd years. Dumping that on the floor and pawing through it is the equivalent of root canal work for me and my last choice. ;D

My '08 also has a combination of all three (or 4?) thread specs so it makes it interesting to say the least.

This doesn't help you, I know, but I'm lucky enough to have a really well-stocked Ace Hrdwr. 10 minutes from my house. They have a huge selection of not only nuts, bolts and screws, but a whole McMaster-Carr catalog of tray after tray of goodies to look through.

There are also mockups of male & female threads & pitch gauges, etc.,  that you can match your part to. There is also tray after tray of EVery kind of washer imaginable EXCEPT the copper crush for my main oil drain plug. Go figure  :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 10:58:00 am by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Yinzer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Reply #366 on: November 07, 2022, 05:26:25 am
Disassembled & cleaned the rear drum.
Apparently, some chain lube got in there.
Dad reported an exciting ride down the steep gravel driveway next to the barn :o
I didn't know you had to be that careful about something as simple as chain lubrication on the Bullet.
We had a great ride after that on a very warm November day in Western Pa.
2022 Interceptor MkIII (My bike)
1998 Iron Bullet 500 (Shared bike)
2023 Hunter 350 (Dad's bike)

Yinzer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Reply #367 on: December 26, 2022, 08:12:45 pm
The bike is a one or two kicker but Santa gifted a device in case there is an issue in the future.

Has anyone used one?
The instructions say to put it in 2nd gear w/ clutch in. Then hit the starter & release clutch momentarily, until it starts. (hold front brake)
I'm thinking maybe 3rd???

Afraid of doing a wheelie into the side of the garage if it jumps off the rollers ;D
Any chance of this or am I being paranoid?
2022 Interceptor MkIII (My bike)
1998 Iron Bullet 500 (Shared bike)
2023 Hunter 350 (Dad's bike)

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #368 on: December 26, 2022, 09:00:57 pm
Never used one but I wonder if you'd be better getting it turning the engine over in gear then releasing the decompressor rather than doing it through the clutch. Would be a lot less hard on the primary drive. Probably wouldn't be in the instructions because so few bikes have a decompressor these days.

It'll be great for priming the oilways after a rebuild too and I'm sure I've seen a video of bullet whisperer using one as an ersatz drum skimming device with enery paper attached to a set of old brake shoes

Flaekingr

• Scooter
Reply #369 on: December 26, 2022, 09:46:04 pm
Rode it for the first time!! ;D
2004 500cc De-Luxe
Just getting to know this one. Many UK adventures await!

2004 Bullet Sixty-5
Cooling it's heels in a storage unit for the foreseeable future!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #370 on: December 26, 2022, 10:19:33 pm
@ #367: An automated bump-start? That's waaaay improved from the inflatable hills that JC Whitney used to sell in over in their Harley section.  ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #371 on: December 27, 2022, 08:22:16 pm
This morning I repaired the broken front guard centre stay, and ordered new better stronger one’s from H’s.
Also cleaned  the air filter .
Next is to take the Mrs out for lunch at the country inn about 50km return trip , normally only take her out on the bike once or twice a year, motorcycling is way more fun with the boys  ;D

Clean air 👍

AndyMcP

• Scooter
Reply #372 on: December 28, 2022, 09:37:48 pm
This morning I repaired the broken front guard centre stay, and ordered new better stronger one’s from H’s.

Heavy duty or not, they still break!😉

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #373 on: December 29, 2022, 02:00:57 pm
Just like on my old BSA.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #374 on: December 31, 2022, 04:06:21 pm
Made a longer brake lever for the 350 trials bike. Tricky compound curves. I really need to get a proper oxy-propane torch. My welding is shit and I can't get enough heat into the larger pieces with the MAPP torch to braze them. Paint will cover it though.