Author Topic: Bar end mirrors  (Read 24106 times)

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #31 on: November 24, 2019, 03:50:29 pm
I put the bunny ears back on. I couldn't stand how wide these mirrors were. I want bar end mirrors that go up, not out.

Kind of a pain to get those plugs out of the OEM mirror holes also! Had to drill them out - good grips!
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #33 on: November 24, 2019, 07:43:09 pm
Thanks - think I might have discovered this on my own, as I did get it tighter this morning. But not yet ridden to confirm it's as tight as I want.

Any issues with the width? The bike's a full foot wider than it used to be now. I don't plan on lane-splitting so that's not an issue, but just wanted your impression.

Can't split lanes here so that's not an issue. These don't stick out much, maybe 4" beyond the handlebar. I did have a set on a Triumph that the stalk was spring loaded to stop in a few different positions. You could fold them in when clearance was needed and pop them back without messing up the adjustment. 

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #34 on: November 26, 2019, 12:09:39 am
Got new mirrors, more the style I wanted. Best part - no need to take the lumps off the bar ends, no modification of any kind required! What I did was take the bar ends off, insert into the mirror mount, and use a rubber mallet and a muffled punch to push the lump to the inner end of the clamp. Then matched up with the offset on the bar end, and tightened down. Worked perfectly and seems plenty secure. Road test coming up soon.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: November 27, 2019, 02:50:10 am
For my taste, these look really nice on a 650 INT.   I think I got the same ones...put on my Honda Super Cup.  Gives the bike a lower in front look.

Are they tinted blue?  Mine are.  Can't decide if I like that, or if it make the view too dark.  Only paid I think $12 or $16 for the set...so I may look for a set in clear glass.

Only issue is that they still get a good portion of my arm in the view.

Those fancy, all aluminum ones I lust after are $117    each!!!!!!!!!!!!

On my Cafe racer..I have the bar end mirror which sticks out and down....gives a good full view, but makes the handle bar plus mirror too wide IMHO.

Cookie

Got new mirrors, more the style I wanted. Best part - no need to take the lumps off the bar ends, no modification of any kind required! What I did was take the bar ends off, insert into the mirror mount, and use a rubber mallet and a muffled punch to push the lump to the inner end of the clamp. Then matched up with the offset on the bar end, and tightened down. Worked perfectly and seems plenty secure. Road test coming up soon.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #36 on: November 27, 2019, 06:08:02 pm
I had the bar end from Cycle Gear that was in an earlier post in this thread, but took it off because I didn't like how wide it made the bike. Totally agree on that point. These are tinted blue, yes, supposedly for anti-glare. But we have a lot of bright sun here in Texas so I think they'll be fine even if they darken the view a bit. I think I have them so my arm is not too much in the view, but we'll see.

And yes, the expensive non-glass polished aluminum ones are lust-worthy. Just don't know if I can justify the cost for this particular bike, but if I come into money, watch out :)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #37 on: December 01, 2019, 11:37:37 pm
Many years ago I had bar end mirrors that I could flip out of the way for tight parking or lane splitting, but then pop them back without the need to adjust them. I was just perusing some old posts and found them. I think it was a brand name but others are selling the same thing. Napoleon bar end mirrors.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: December 02, 2019, 01:32:20 am
Many years ago I had bar end mirrors that I could flip out of the way for tight parking or lane splitting, but then pop them back without the need to adjust them. I was just perusing some old posts and found them. I think it was a brand name but others are selling the same thing. Napoleon bar end mirrors.

My daughter has those on her R65LS and they do work well.  That folding back feature is very handy - especially when parking in a tight spot and when splitting lanes of traffic.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

KiwiGT

• Scooter
  • NZ
Reply #39 on: June 12, 2020, 10:30:13 am
Been about 6 months since last post here, any chance people can throw up some pics and/or recommendations of bar end mirrors on 650GT? Cheers.
2020 Continental GT 650

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #40 on: June 12, 2020, 11:49:43 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NYQ834N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are about $40USD / barley add any width / sturdy, no vibration
I saw a tip from another member regarding installation; I left the OEM threaded plug (inside the handlebar) as is. I got a longer bolt. As for the "notched" plug that locks and locates the RE bar end cap, I took one flat washer and cut it in half so as to level the surface. That way I can return to stock.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 12:00:27 pm by NVDucati »
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: June 12, 2020, 02:41:47 pm
I have those mirrors....LOVE 'EM...love 'em, love 'em !!!!  You can actually see behind, not just a view of elbows and shoulders!  As said below, once installed correctly they are stable, stay in adjustment, and don't vibrate...

I prefer the clear lenses....some like the blue tinted ones...

Slight mod needed (to the mirror mount, not the bike) needed to get a pro install.

I make a notch on the mirror side to coincide with the notch inside the handle bars...this way they cannot rotate once snugged down.  The 1/2 washer may work just as well...either method can be returned to stock as the mod is to the mirror side, not the bike side.

BTW somebody here said that the bar end weights are removable.....this is true for the GT650 which has clip on bars, but not true for the INT650...the bar end weights are welded in.  But they have the threads necessary for install of the bar end mirror....so you don't want to remove anyway...

Cookie

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NYQ834N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are about $40USD / barley add any width / sturdy, no vibration
I saw a tip from another member regarding installation; I left the OEM threaded plug (inside the handlebar) as is. I got a longer bolt. As for the "notched" plug that locks and locates the RE bar end cap, I took one flat washer and cut it in half so as to level the surface. That way I can return to stock.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #42 on: June 12, 2020, 06:24:42 pm
My wife has the same ones on her Monster. She loves them too.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Greytop

• Grease Monkey
  • UK 2019 Interceptor
Reply #43 on: June 12, 2020, 06:40:25 pm
Here's the bar end mirrors that I've fitted.
I ordered two Halycon830 mirrors with the Triumph T120 fitment option here https://classicpartsltd.com/bar-end-fitting-for-new-triumph-t120-range.html
I removed the standard bar end finishers, carefully removed the step in the bar inserts (hacksaw and finished with a file). Then simply fitted the mirrors with the T120 adapter and M6 cap head supplied.
If I ever need to replace the standard bar ends, I will fashion up a couple of crescent spacers to occupy the milled out recess in the bar ends.

Pictures of the result below.
Previous bikes: FS1E, TS185, KH250, RD250D, CB400N, RD350LC, GSF600 Bandit, CB900F, FZR1000.

KiwiGT

• Scooter
  • NZ
Reply #44 on: June 12, 2020, 08:16:04 pm
Thanks a lot guys - great info. I've got a mr clean GT coming in a couple of weeks and think those halycon ones would look the ducks nuts. Thanks Greytop for the info and photo's (nice bike by the way - I used to have one of the older iron barrel 500's). Without my bike here currently - do you think those 830's would fit on/in the GT650's bars easily enough?
2020 Continental GT 650