Author Topic: Wanted Iron Barrel  (Read 6947 times)

nonfiction

• Bulleteer
  • New Bullet Owner/Longtime Bike Guy
Reply #30 on: March 24, 2021, 08:26:31 pm
@Parm, I believe the silver 4sp ES model that's for sale in central Cali (see craigslist links above) fits many of your criteria, plus, cheap.

Parm

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: March 24, 2021, 08:32:09 pm
@Parm, I believe the silver 4sp ES model that's for sale in central Cali (see craigslist links above) fits many of your criteria, plus, cheap.

I messaged him, he said it was sold.  :(

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #32 on: March 24, 2021, 10:38:06 pm
Further to my earlier contention in this thread that Iron Barrel Bullets may be able to communicate with their fettlers, submitted for your consideration (cue Twilight Zone  theme music), I offer the following evidence discovered in a recent video by our very own "Bullet Whisperer", Mr. Paul Henshaw, at: https://youtu.be/KoMbxPI4ppI.

Towards the conclusion, from about 22:50 into the film, he explains how the new toolbox lid had shaken open during the ride, during which he had noticed some charging issues and difficulty restarting after a planned en route stop to check for oil leaks. He soon goes on to explain the actually fortuitous nature of that side case opening on its own like that, since it reminded him of a fuse within that he had bypassed temporarily to perform some electrical work, but which he had forgotten about. That missing fuse, was, of course the cause of the charging issues and difficulty starting. Was the case opening on its own like that merely "luck" or "chance" or something else...in the Twilight Zone. You must decide for yourselves. For me, my comment left for that video sums up my thoughts best:

Regarding the toolbox just "randomly" popping open like that, thereby reminding you about that fuse bodge you'd forgotten: Don't you find it a tad weird it just doing that? I mean, flipping open the damned case? Really?! C'mon! That's some Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang grade antics there! I've said it before, and felt odd doing so, but I tell you those "Iron Belly" Bullets got a SOUL! If you but listen, they'll let you know what they want and need. Clearly in this Bullet's case it'll even reach out and rap you on the kneecap if you mess with it. Next it'll be crank calls in the middle of the night...

(Ringggg!...Ringggg!)
"Hello."
"My plug...It's dirty."
"Ummm...Who is this?"
"VERY dirty...You should SEE my dirty plug."
"Seriously, who IS this?"
"You know who this is, Paul. You've always known."
(Click!)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 11:15:27 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #33 on: March 24, 2021, 11:15:56 pm
True Dat!!  ;D ;D ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #34 on: April 05, 2021, 05:03:31 pm
I see that there is another forum member also interested in acquiring a RE Iron Barrel, who has opened a thread.  Since that person specified they aren't interested in going far afield, I'll post these leads here.

A 2007 model 65 is being offered up on the local Craiglist by a private seller:
https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mcy/d/oak-lawn-2007-royal-enfield-bullet-65/7301420694.html

And also there's this 2006 Electra Classic Chrome:
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/d/arlington-heights-2006-royal-enfield/7296483622.html

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: April 05, 2021, 07:40:43 pm
Thanks axmam88
I just called them. We shall see.

Charro
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Speed Triple
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: April 11, 2021, 08:03:49 pm
Well l know the unc needs probably less maintenance, but l want something with historic character like a preunit a trip back in time. I think in many cases the prices they ask are a bit rich, especially when you can get a brand new one for under four.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:08:20 pm by Karl Fenn »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: April 11, 2021, 08:21:31 pm
That's what Charro is looking at, a Pre-Unit. They were made until 2008. They have a bit of overlap with the UCE machines. Affordable Pre-Units are a crap-shoot, it all depends on the dreaded Previous Owner's behaviour whether of not you have to strip it down to the crank & start fresh. If you have a "Friday Afternoon" motor you may need to strip it anyway.

Charro is intending to spend more money up-front on the theory that THAT owner has already sorted the machine properly, not just flailed away randomly bolting on unrelated Hitchcock chrome bits. Those bikes are out there, it just takes a keen eye, time & money to find them.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: April 11, 2021, 09:06:53 pm
 AzCal Retred is right its been an interesting hunt for sure.

Seen some really good ones, and some not so good ones. But what amazed me is some sellers have disappeared when I asked for more photos.

I'm patient and have time, I'll find the right one.

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Speed Triple
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: April 12, 2021, 12:22:58 am
Well l think l will go for the half broken in stallion. Black one please.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: April 12, 2021, 12:30:40 am
Well this is a good point you make, the cranks do have a history and it's not fictional, of course he is right not to rush and buy a money pit, as l understand the engines can be unpredictable in terms of longevity, and then there's others that have covered over 30,000, l think to get a good one you definately need done your hunting gear.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: April 12, 2021, 01:10:10 am
If I was spending real money whatever I bought would already have a very recent Hitchcocks crank with steel rod and a forged piston sliding in an alloy barrel. That way the guts are pretty invulnerable as long as you keep oil in it.

I'm partial to the long stroke with the 84mm 6.5/1 forged slug. Effective CR is around 7.5/1 - 8/1 with no spacers and should make a very nice daily driver. Even more "tractory" that the standard Bullet and guaranteed "bulletproof for 30K - 45K miles, way more than anyone is likely to use it.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: April 12, 2021, 02:52:40 pm
So what do you think is the best bullet to buy in terms of reliability.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: April 12, 2021, 04:04:44 pm
I assume you are talking about the pushrod 500 singles? I think the "Electra" was the Swan Song of the Pre-Unit. It had the nice gear oil pumps, a crank-triggered CDI, working electric start, the new 5-speed and a front disc brake. I believe the crank had a needle bearing con rod also. All the stuff that many owners were doing to the Pre-Unit Bullet anyway. It would be my 1st choice.

The UCE should be an even better daily driver, but you'll need to bulletproof the fuel pump with supplemental filters and defang the auto primary chain tensioner so it doesn't overtighten. Other than that it has all the bells & whistles. The EFI works well (usually) if you keep out the solids. "Normal" tank rust is a killer on the EFI. You can always retrofit an Amal with the H's conversion, depending on where you live of course. A 10 micron filter easily keeps out carb-clogging solids, but the UCE's EFI needs way better filtration, likely 5 micron or less. If you could get the fuel pump out of the tank it's be easier to keep it alive with a real industrial pre-filter.

I like my '99 Pre-Units, but they are fun machines for me, a window into back to the 1950's. The ratios of the 4 speed determine your pace. The engine won't be hurried, and if you do it's at your peril. The hardware determines a large fraction of the pace of ride. The UCE & Electra are less so, more "Honda-like" in their usage, a bit more "gas 'n go". Their "Electric Leg" gets more important every year, eh?

My red Bullet, Krasny Oktobyr, sports an alloy barrel, forged 6.5/1 slug and H's "sticky" front brake shoes. The barrel was really worthwhile for me in SoCal, as was the forged slug. With 110 degrees Fahrenheit ambient summer air temps, heat rejection capacity is now increased, piston reliability concerns are reduced, and I can now stop reasonably. All the cables are H's H.D. variety and it makes a noticeable difference in feel & function. The transmission was converted back to right hand shift to eliminate the bodge. This was both a functional change and a retro preference. Right side shifting is an acquired skill for predominantly Japanese-machine riders, lucky for me I live way out in the sticks. 

But if you weren't talking about the pushrod 500's, I'd get the Himalayan. It's a user-friendly clean sheet design, easy to live with, keeps up with the traffic we're likely to encounter, & a bit lighter than the Interceptor. The trail geometry & suspension soaks up jolts from potholes & random road debris better. I'd save up the cash and have an H's 460 kit setting around for whenever I felt the top end needed attention, and make a good bike even better.

If you are primarily a highway/road rider and the weight isn't a concern, obviously the Interceptor is the way to go. 47+ HP, a 6-speed box and good road manners make that no contest.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: April 12, 2021, 04:17:59 pm
Yes it's the push rod version l want, the Electra sounds a good buy especially with the needle rollers, what years did they make them and what year would you suggest being a pre unit l would be happier with that the fuel filters are only superficial, l presume the chain is not a difficult task, anything else to look out for.