Author Topic: Wanted Iron Barrel  (Read 6972 times)

Hondo

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: March 16, 2021, 04:22:02 pm
Not sure what your budget is but I have one done as a military bike. The top and bottom end was done by ACE Engineering here on the forum. It will turn 5500 rpms on the street and 6000 on the track. It will do 80 mph plus. I have over 11k invested in this bike. I'm asking 7000 k for it. I'll send pics if your interested. I have tons on documentation on the parts and upgrades used.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #16 on: March 16, 2021, 09:13:01 pm
Looks like that promising-looking one in Kanab, Utah must have sold as its ad has been "deleted by author".

I wonder if anyone here grabbed it? I had a sort of warm, fuzzy and optimistic feeling about that one.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: March 16, 2021, 09:25:49 pm
Hey Hondo,
I sent you a private message.

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Speed Triple
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

Hondo

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 06:31:43 pm
email sent

nonfiction

• Bulleteer
  • New Bullet Owner/Longtime Bike Guy
Reply #19 on: March 17, 2021, 10:23:53 pm
Pretty fresh looking 4sp ES model in Central CA for short money:

ROYAL ENFIELD 2003 - $1,500 (Livingston, California)

2003 royal enfield
condition: excellent
fuel: gas
odometer: 5000
paint color: silver
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
ROYAL ENFIELD 2003
Like New
Very low miles
Just need a battery
It has been seating for a while
As is sale
Pink Slip is clean
Sale PRICE $1500 obo
Call (916) 803-7372

https://modesto.craigslist.org/mcy/d/delhi-royal-enfield-2003/7292337030.html

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 10:29:14 pm
One of the very rare automatic transmission models!  ;D

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

nonfiction

• Bulleteer
  • New Bullet Owner/Longtime Bike Guy
Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 05:08:34 pm
Dang it, Adrian! I meant to point that auto transmission up-option out! :o

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 05:21:16 pm
That's the famous "Hyderabad-glide" model no doubt... 8)
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 24, 2021, 05:46:49 am
I don't own an Iron Barrel, but I can certainly understand why someone would want one. That is what I wanted when I first considered buying a Royal Enfield. I didn't even know they still existed. I stumbled onto the RE site by accident. I wanted one because it was a brand new vintage bike (not a "retro" bike that looks old but uses modern technology) at a decent price. That was back around 2002, and things kept coming up that kept me from getting one. By the time I was finally able to get a Royal Enfield (in 2013) the Iron Barrel was gone, replaced by the UCE. Now, I can deal with the UCE engine, it still uses very old technology, but it came with EFI and a cat con muffler the size of a small submarine. That I could not deal with. So I replaced the EFI with an Amal carb, and the cat con muffler with a much smaller lighter aftermarket muffler with NO emissions device in it. I'm still riding it (up to almost 14K miles now) but still have a desire for an Iron Barrel (and an Ironhead H-D Sportster)

I am completely qualified to own, ride, maintain, and repair one (if parts are available) I have been an auto/truck/heavy equipment mechanic for nearly 40 years. I have owned more than 50 bikes. I started riding and wrenching on motorcycles at age 8.

But for several years I have been watching the local Craigslist, and nothing suitable has shown up. Did all of them fall apart and get scrapped? It looks like if I am going to find one I am going to have to get serious and spread my search farther away from home, and to places other than Craigslist.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 24, 2021, 11:55:57 am
I get the attraction, Suitcasejefferson. Don't get me wrong: I'd give a UCE a good home and like 'em fine, but there's just something about those much-maligned old "Iron Belly" engineering fossils that "scratches that itch" others can't reach. They're almost luridly pretty, for one thing. Another aspect I've been noticing lately is that if it is feeling "fussy" about something mine somehow lets me know almost telepathically. It's actually a little spooky. For example, day before yesterday on the homeward trek from one of my "Mental Health Jaunts" it began running just a little rough and choppy. The following day I just sort of sat with it, giving it nice wipedown, as one does, when it suddenly occurred to me to check the positive lead connection to the battery. Sure enough, it was a little loose. One couldn't really tell visually that this was the case, but sure enough it's running sweetly again. Before that it was a loose connection to the coil, and before that a slightly loose head steady bolt that was emitting a buzzing only at speed, at least such as that concept exists with on older model Bullet. In each case I just suddenly somehow knew  precisely what and where the issue was without the typical diagnostic slog. So, a little sympathetic intuition and not just "letting things slide" goes a long way in ameliorating their reputed "unreliability" and happily nursing them along. I'd be the first to suggest that they ain't for everyone, but given your background, and with the right sweetly-dispositioned bike, I do believe you're the right sort to make a go of it, clearly hearing your bike's mechanical "Manitou" (soul of the seemingly inanimate, see: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manitou). Sounds flakey, sure, but there you have it. I just suspect an "Iron Belly's" more solely mechanical and primitive guts might make a louder and clearer "squeak" than more latter-day designs.

As has already been mentioned in this thread, David Blasco's fine "Royal Enfields for Sale in the USA" site at https://royal-enfields.blogspot.com/ is a good place to keep a weather eye out for likely "Iron Belly" candidates for adoption near you, like that recent promising-looking one in Utah. I would only mention that if you're using a mobile device browser, for proper display you should either tick the "Desktop Site" option (under the three vertical dots icon at upper right) or just delete that "?m=1" business at the end of the web address or URL. Otherwise, you won't really be able to view it properly. Presently there aren't any Iron Cylinder Engined ones on there, but they'll be around again...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 02:51:29 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: March 24, 2021, 01:08:07 pm
You have to remember the dealer network during the IB days was spotty at best. So, not many outlets to sell a motorcycle that interested few people.

I got mine on FB Marketplace. It seems to be where most of the stuff we used to see on C-list is now offered. I've probably found a half-dozen on there just browsing my neck of the woods over the last couple years. Most people shy away from them because antiquity and reputation so IMO it's a buyer's market.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 24, 2021, 03:40:38 pm
You've made a good point, 'ddavidv'. Since craigslist instituted that $5 charge for motorcycle listings last spring, it's had something of a chilling effect on listings...not entirely a bad one, since it seems to have also driven off many of the chancers, scammers and multiple listings spammers. But perhaps David Blasco might consider adding those Facebook Marketplace ads to his listings the way he often does with eBay ones. Another suggestion for Mr. Blasco and prospective buyers might be to take a good look at bikes listed nowadays under craigslist's "Motorcycle Parts" category. There sure are a LOT of very sound-looking "For Parts or Restoration" bikes being found in there nowadays, where there's no $5 listing charge. Might be some real bargains there, since I don't think many buyers have factored in that whole immense $5 hurdle into sellers' calculus just yet.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 03:44:16 pm by Bilgemaster »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #27 on: March 24, 2021, 04:12:45 pm
Suitcase Jefferson - Operators are standing by.... ;D ;D ;D

A 3 day round trip, a mini vacation for the significant other & yourself?

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: March 24, 2021, 06:31:35 pm
Suitcase Jefferson - Operators are standing by.... ;D ;D ;D

A 3 day round trip, a mini vacation for the significant other & yourself?

What's interesting is that the bike's not actually in Livingston proper, but just north of it in the little townlet of Delhi. So, I guess you could tell folks you imported it to Arizona from Delhi. As for the town of Livingston, it was supposed  to be named after Dr. Stanley Livingstone, the famous British explorer of Africa of "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" fame. But they screwed up the Post Office application and left off the final "e".

Parm

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: March 24, 2021, 06:37:45 pm
I have been looking for an iron barrel for quite some time now, If anyone has one for sale please reach out. Preferably around the bay area I am willing to as far as L.A. Just a nice running example that is in good cosmetic condition.