Author Topic: First service cost  (Read 1199 times)

Chasbo

• Scooter
on: June 22, 2021, 07:05:30 pm
My dealer is asking for $320 for the first service. Is that reasonable?

Also looking at the maintenance manual it seems like a crazy amount of stuff. I'm just planning on changing the oil once a year with the couple of thousands miles I do.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 07:12:02 pm
My dealer is asking for $320 for the first service. Is that reasonable?

Also looking at the maintenance manual it seems like a crazy amount of stuff. I'm just planning on changing the oil once a year with the couple of thousands miles I do.

If they do what they're supposed to, which includes adjusting the valves it's reasonable. Most dealers in my area get between $90.00 and $125.00
per hour for labor, so given the job should take between 2-3 hours, depending on the experience and skill level of the mechanic $320.00 sounds about right. Our local dealer, whom I trust gets $300.00 Plus parts for a first service.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 08:23:28 am
Dunno where you are mate, but that's about what I paid here in Australia (in Aussie pesos of course).

As zimmemr says, if they do what they're supposed to, and don't just give it to an apprentice, it's not an unreasonable labour charge. I'd be more concerned about a shop charging significantly less (that tells you they aren't doing it properly)
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 02:34:51 pm
When I had my KTM's 600-mile 3.5 hour  :o servicing performed a little over a year ago at the San Francisco Royal Enfield dealer, I was charged $168 an hour. I have heard from a friend that the local motorcycle shops have upped their game to around $180 an hour this year. I recently read a newspaper article that claimed that auto dealerships in the area were charging $250 an hour. At least I won't be paying that as my Saturn dealer went out of business (along with the company) years ago. So I do my own oil and filter changes once a year.

Now I wonder why so many middle-class California residents are heading east looking for greener pastures?   ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 01:44:44 am
When I had my KTM's 600-mile 3.5 hour  :o servicing performed a little over a year ago at the San Francisco Royal Enfield dealer, I was charged $168 an hour. I have heard from a friend that the local motorcycle shops have upped their game to around $180 an hour this year. I recently read a newspaper article that claimed that auto dealerships in the area were charging $250 an hour. At least I won't be paying that as my Saturn dealer went out of business (along with the company) years ago. So I do my own oil and filter changes once a year.

Now I wonder why so many middle-class California residents are heading east looking for greener pastures?   ::)

Yikes that's stiff. FWIW I'm in Connecticut, even the local Kenworth dealership "only" get's $200.00 an hour.