Author Topic: Bent Break Lever  (Read 2761 times)

Juaquine

• Scooter
on: November 03, 2020, 08:16:42 pm
Hey friends, I just bought my first Himalayan and I think the break lever might be bent (see photos). It tends to get stuck under the heat shield on the exhaust. It doesn't engage the break but I don't like it rubbing like that.

Should I remove the lever and try to bend it back into shape? I've got a vice and some serious plyers so I'm confident I can do it, but being a new owner I am looking for the wisdom of wiser guys than I.

Also, I'd like to make sure all my fasteners are at the correct tightness. Where can I learn the correct tightness for all the fasteners?

Thanks! :)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 11:07:24 pm
It is supposed to bend not break :D Sorry, spelling humor. Your BRAKE pedal is made from steel which can be bent many times. Just jam a crowbar in there and bend it out a bit. Put something behind the bar so you don't scratch the bike. Also make sure the heat shield hasn't been bent from all this.

Juaquine

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 11:12:15 pm
Thanks. Just needed to hear someone else say this is not going to break my bike.  ;)

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 11:23:12 pm
From where I'm sitting it looks like the pedal is straight. It's just fouling on the shield, I'd first try putting a little muscle to the shield and recontouring it to clear the pedal. If you remove the shield and use a piece of pipe as a mandrel it should be an easy fix. You may even find that there's enough room in the mounting the holes to reposition the shield enough to get the required clearance. Tight is tight and to tight is broken, Himalayans are prone to stripping threads so I'd just snug the small 6 mm and 8 mm bolts up by feel. Unless it's a critical fastener I wouldn't use a torque wrench. All of the torque settings are listed in the shop manual and there are dozens of torque charts that specify the recommend torque for a given thread diameter and grade of fastener online. They won't be dead accurate but they'll get you in the (safe) ballpark.

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 07:44:16 am
Take  it back to the dealer to have them fix it under warranty!
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Juaquine

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 02:53:43 pm
Thanks for the help there friends. I'll talk to the previous owner and see if it is still under warranty (3rd rider on a 2018 model). After that I'll try moving the heat cover around to get a better angle. Then if that still doesn't work I'll try bending the arm back into place.

Thanks!

snailracer

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 12:22:38 am
Sorry about being late to this post. In case you haven't corrected the issue, the wind recently knocked  my bike over and bent the brake lever while it was sitting in my driveway. was able to bend it away from rubbing against the heat shield just using my hand without any problems. the metal isn't robust.

Juaquine

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 04:06:36 pm
Thanks for the tip. I already got it fixed. I put the break lever in my vice and bent it out a bit, then bent the heat shield in a bit. Works great now. Thanks though.

snailracer

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 08:18:48 pm
your welcome. next time I'll try and not be so tardy.  :)

Juaquine

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 09:49:39 pm
your welcome. next time I'll try and not be so tardy.  :)

All good man. We're all here to help each other. :)

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 05:48:21 pm
That pedal looks definitely  bent you could bend it out using a large adjustable on the bottom of the foot pate also check that shield has proper fittment, becareful where you lever as not to do any damage, to protect paint wrap some rag round it, you need pull in opposite direction of bend, you could take it off and use a vice which would be my preferred method, all the torque settings you require you can obtain from any good manual Haynes always gives them but l don't know if they yet do one for that bike, when l had my motocross bikes dealing with bent peddles was common place.

Juaquine

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 06:24:06 pm
That pedal looks definitely  bent you could bend it out using a large adjustable on the bottom of the foot pate also check that shield has proper fittment, becareful where you lever as not to do any damage, to protect paint wrap some rag round it, you need pull in opposite direction of bend, you could take it off and use a vice which would be my preferred method, all the torque settings you require you can obtain from any good manual Haynes always gives them but l don't know if they yet do one for that bike, when l had my motocross bikes dealing with bent peddles was common place.

Yes, this is near exactly what I did. I removed the break lever, put it in my vice and bent it out a bit. Then I bent the heat shield in a bit. Works great now. Thanks.