Author Topic: Virus kneejerk  (Read 19659 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 15, 2020, 11:52:12 pm
OK, I have been keeping quiet about the Corona virus and the way our politicians have been addressing the problem. But today I finally got fed up.  Our Illustrious California Governor held a news conference today and said that, in order to combat the Corona virus, he would be directing that all bars, wineries and breweries be closed and he wants all seniors (like me, who is 75) over 65 to lock themselves in their homes and not come out until the virus goes away.  Give me a break!  He also is demanding that restaurants remove half of their tables and chairs to increase the distance between their customers. BTW, good luck closing bars on St. Patrick's Day.

He also announced that the state will be buying hotels and motels to house the homeless.  I assume that will be via "inverse condemnation" if the owner doesn't want to sell, where the government takes possession of private property and goes to court later to determine the sale price.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 12:12:18 am by Richard230 »
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 10:54:15 pm
Today the entire 7 million people of the SF Bay Area counties have been ordered to stay at home until April 7 unless we are traveling to an essential service, like buying groceries, going to the bank, post office or a gas station. Oh yes, you can also walk your dog so that he can poop on someone else's property. I have no idea how I am going to last that long without leaving my home and riding my motorcycle.  If you get caught you will receive a citation.   >:(

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 01:04:48 am
Today the entire 7 million people of the SF Bay Area counties have been ordered to stay at home until April 7 unless we are traveling to an essential service, like buying groceries, going to the bank, post office or a gas station. Oh yes, you can also walk your dog so that he can poop on someone else's property. I have no idea how I am going to last that long without leaving my home and riding my motorcycle.  If you get caught you will receive a citation.   >:(

Just loop a leash with a collar onto the back of your bike, and, if pulled over, pretend surprise that your Yorkie's no longer attached.

What's making this old codger-in-training hornery is that constant flood of spammy "virtue signaling" by every business I've ever so much as bought a box of Tic Tacs from, who insist on informing me of the high esteem they hold for my well being and that of their minimum wage slave employees in these trying times--Just marketing assholery at it's clenchiest.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 01:12:27 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 01:09:24 am
Bless you, Bill!
Lurker on a Vespa

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 01:18:14 am
Bless you, Bill!

No, God bless YOU, Stanley. Now hold still while I hose you down with this Super Soaker full of Purelle.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 01:48:13 am
Thanks. I hope you and yours are well. Inconvenience is okay with me if it helps the herd.
Lurker on a Vespa

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 02:14:09 am
I could easily find projects around the house to keep me occupied for the next several months.  Unfortunately, we are being asked to carry on, and keep coming to work, where I'm sure it's just a matter of time before somebody brings the cooties in.   I'd love to take the next few weeks off and sit in safe isolation.  I just paid my internet bill.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 01:58:05 pm
Here is a hot tip for you: My daughter just bought 24 rolls (2K sheets per roll) of toilet paper from Office Depot. She got free shipping to her home and 15% off. And who says buying toilet paper can't be done without spending hours standing in line at Costco?  :)

In the latest EU news: European countries have locked down their borders and in France, everyone has been locked into their homes and can't leave without official written approval from the government, the form for which can be downloaded from the internet and then filled out by the resident who owns a dog who needs to take a shit on someone's lawn - right now.   :o  This is going to cut down the number of "yellow shirt" protesters on the streets of Paris.  Not sure if it will affect farmer tractor road-blocking protest parades, though.   ;)

Oh yes. One other thing! Our California State Legislature has just shut down and also is self-immobilizing themselves at home for at least the next three weeks. The have given the Governor authority to spend as much of the state's budget as he wants during the "crisis".  :'(
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:02:38 pm by Richard230 »

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 02:29:40 pm
Being retired, I have no right to complain but those in the workforce must be stressed.
The Madrid wing of the family has four doctors. One got the bug so far. I used to draw blood at Labcorp and can't imagine doing that now!
Stay safe.

Lurker on a Vespa

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 09:36:23 pm
Here is the latest from the San Francisco Bay Area. :(

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 02:13:33 am
A helpful antipodean government advisory video. NSFW.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb_title&v=Hks6Nq7g6P4&time_continue=164
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:14:29 am by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 12:30:18 pm
what about when two bus loads of city slickers arrive in your town - called vultures here-and trolly out the food/meat supplies from the supermarket before returning home to the big smoke in Sydney Australia. not just the one town hit either...actually several along the way. totally wiped out the supermarket butcher shop meat supply in one hit.
I don't think they will be too welcome back on their next return run. lots of disgruntled people here today!

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 01:03:55 pm
Saw that on the news tonight. Do they really think they'll be left to starve?
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 01:28:20 pm
It doesn't need much to bring out the worst in people these days, does it?  :'(

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 05:20:33 pm
We had 4 inches of snow this morning. So, I went out and shoveled each of my neighbors walk and drive.  The wife asked my why I did that. I replied that we may need to borrow a few sheets of toilet paper in the near future and I wanted to be on good terms with the neighbors.  Pre-planning helps in emergencies.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 09:42:32 pm
Borrowed toilet paper? Don't think I'd want it back in used condition.  :-X

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 10:10:31 pm
Touché.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 10:44:35 pm
Here is the future.  ::)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 12:35:32 am
We had 4 inches of snow this morning. So, I went out and shoveled each of my neighbors walk and drive.  The wife asked my why I did that. I replied that we may need to borrow a few sheets of toilet paper in the near future and I wanted to be on good terms with the neighbors.  Pre-planning helps in emergencies.

Well, that was awfully neighborly of you. I used to do the elderly couple's sidewalk and walkway before they moved on, not that that's typically much of a chore here in fairly temperate Virginia. You say you got 4 inches in one night. This year in Virginia we didn't get 4 inches all winter. These are truly the golden days of global warming, or whatever they're calling it. I'm sure we'll be paying for all those pleasant mid-winter riding days one day...

As for the whole prepping for societal demise and economic collapse thing, I caught a little break for my own prepper-bugout kit a few weeks back. We've got a lot of military folks living nearby. One of them must have been reassigned and was clearing out. I scooped up four still-sealed boxes of about 30 full MREs each with all the trimmings from the curbside. They're 3 and 4 years old, but if shit goes really south, at least we won't be fighting with dogs in the street for food or feasting on the neighborhood squirrels for a couple-few months. Whoever it was was also tossing a bunch of military-grade modular waterproof stacking crates, so the mice won't be getting even a nibble of that "Cheese Spread with Bacon", one packet of which I imagine might trade in the post-apocalyptic economy for about half a pallet of Charmin.

Preview of The Bilgemaster's Fall Outfit

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 12:36:49 am
Friends,
The virus is real and the personal risk is real. Please stay safe.

Global political ignorance and expediency, along with worldwide corporate greed and incompetent/delayed government responses marked the early stages, and now it is the packed spring-break beaches in the US and the unethical UK population experiment that will make it even worse. Can’t comment about Australia, but find it hard to believe that India only has 150 diagnosed cases.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 02:27:46 am
Friends,
The virus is real and the personal risk is real. Please stay safe.

but find it hard to believe that India only has 150 diagnosed cases.

Those poor buggers probably can't afford the cost to get diagnosed is all

Things are starting to shut down here. School sport, excursions, day options, that kind of thing are being called off for the duration.

My daughter's wedding in 3 weeks. Reckon she's freaking out?
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #21 on: March 19, 2020, 10:09:29 am
Tried to buy a few supplies at the supermarket today. Just the usual shopping. But there's no toilet paper to be had and we're down to our last roll at home. At the chemist, some f...tards have bought the place out of ventolin, leaving us who need it as much as them in the lurch. Thanks a lot. What a nation of f...wits. At least petrol is 99c a litre so I guess I'm taking the kids skiing on the weekend. Might bag me a kangaroo or a goat while I'm out there, make some apocalypse jerky.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 19, 2020, 01:59:14 pm
Bilgemaster, take if from me. Those MREs will last a long longer than their expiration date.  I still have some from the Y2K scare and they still taste fine when I use them during a camping trip.   :o

Around here (SF Bay Area), when the TP runs out at the stores, people will just buy anything that remains the shelves. Even the meat, paper towels, frozen dinners, tuna, candy bars and dog and cat food is all gone. They don't care what it is - just gotta have it.  And while they are doing that, everything gets touched and the required 6' stay away from anyone else requirement is cut back to 6" in the press to grab the last item on the shelves and stand in the long line at the checkout register.   ::)

When my dad was growing up in the Missouri Ozarks, they couldn't afford TP, so they used pages from the free Sears Roebuck catalog, which arrived every 6 months, and when those pages ran out it was back to corn cobs in the outhouse.  Those were tough days.   ;)

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #23 on: March 19, 2020, 02:13:11 pm
The grocery stores are out of TP around here, but I saw that the little Middle Eastern specialty store I stopped into to buy some tea and olives from had plenty.  A guy I work with said that's because for religious reasons, the followers of Islam can't use TP at certain times of the month, because they aren't allowed to touch their butt, but I don't know about that.  Anyway, there was a lot, at 89cents a roll.  I heard that another place marked it up to $1.99 a roll.  Profiteering bastards!

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: March 19, 2020, 02:50:13 pm
I don't recall anything about butt-touching in the Quran. ???
It's been proposed that TP hoarding might be.encouraged by the TV news footage where TP packs are the most recognizable item in shopping carts. Monkey see monkey do?  Once people fill the house with TP and beans I assume the shelves will be eventually restocked.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 03:40:07 pm by Stanley »
Lurker on a Vespa

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: March 19, 2020, 03:21:17 pm
My daughter was able to order 20 rolls of TP, shipped to her home, from Office Depot.  Smart move.   :)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 19, 2020, 04:31:30 pm
My daughter was able to order 20 rolls of TP, shipped to her home, from Office Depot.  Smart move.   :)

I'm a grubby hygiene-challenged slobbo at the best of times, so I'm pretty sure a copy of the Washington Post would do me for weeks. Maybe all this TP hoarding or "Charmin Fever" is a girly thing? Then again, my Muskovite wife, veteran of several years of that remarkably absorbent Pravda back in the "Deficit '80s", as she puts it, doesn't get all the furor either. On the other hand, with our Yankee-born daughter home from school, we now appear to be blazing through rolls of the stuff daily. Is she snacking on it? Reenacting Boris Karloff's classic 1932 film "The Mummy" in there? I tell you, it's baffling.

As for me, the only hoarding behavior I've exhibited thus far is to buy a big bag of that cheap jailhouse-style rolling tobacco to toss in with those MREs, just in case EVERYTHING shuts down. Should probably lob in a bottle of vodka too...for medicinal purposes.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #27 on: March 19, 2020, 05:51:05 pm
If I'm still around, I'm all set to take advantage of the situation in another month, as all those free advertising flyers and copies of the US Today clog up people's main drains.

I got my power snake clean, oiled up, and ready to rod, at the low/low price of $150 a pop, I'll be rolling in it!

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: March 19, 2020, 07:52:22 pm
Here is the latest from around the World.  What I haven't heard is what is happening with the virus outbreak in India.  It seems to me that if it takes hold there it could be a real problem. ???

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: March 23, 2020, 12:46:11 am
Very "progressive" Marin County, north of San Francisco, just closed down all of their beaches, city parks, county parks, hiking trails and national parks. They said that too many people visited them yesterday and the residents didn't like it.  They believe that the visitors would bring the virus into their neighborhoods. So in response, the County closed down all recreational areas to keep everyone safe.  The County sheriff said that the virus was not a reason for people to take a vacation and they need to just stay home.  (And eat snacks while watching TV?   ::) )

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: March 24, 2020, 01:56:01 am
That sounds exactly like what happened in the UK at the weekend, and guess what... tighter restrictions here now too, as a result.

A.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: March 24, 2020, 05:15:24 am
On the brighter side, tomorrow's forecast is partly sunny in the high 50s, so I'm planning a nice long lonely cobweb-blowing snort through the hinterlands with my trusty hand sanitizer in the panniers.

Speaking of sanitary, since most virus transmission occurs by touching infected surfaces with one's hand, and then touching one's face, I've been training myself to use my left hand for any necessary operations like opening doors, credit card swiping and so forth on the theory that I'm far more likely to touch my face inadvertently with my right (dominant) hand. I'm hoping that favoring the left and frequent shots of hand sanitizer and washing will at least reduce somewhat the likelihood of goobing myself with that Wuhan Flu.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:17:45 am by Bilgemaster »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 24, 2020, 01:44:47 pm
On the brighter side, tomorrow's forecast is partly sunny in the high 50s, so I'm planning a nice long lonely cobweb-blowing snort through the hinterlands with my trusty hand sanitizer in the panniers.

Speaking of sanitary, since most virus transmission occurs by touching infected surfaces with one's hand, and then touching one's face, I've been training myself to use my left hand for any necessary operations like opening doors, credit card swiping and so forth on the theory that I'm far more likely to touch my face inadvertently with my right (dominant) hand. I'm hoping that favoring the left and frequent shots of hand sanitizer and washing will at least reduce somewhat the likelihood of goobing myself with that Wuhan Flu.

What do you do at the fuel pump?  That seems like a good place to pick up a virus, along with grocery stores, of course.   ::)  What I do is to use the windshield wiping paper towels that are usually available at gas station pump islands to hold the pump nozzle. Unfortunately, in California, you also have to use your other hand to pull back hard on the rubber gas-trapping billows to get the pump to work. But it is very unlikely that thing would have been touched by any of the unwashed public driving a car.

Of course, I don't have that issue as I plug-in my electric motorcycle when I am recharging it at home.   :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:47:40 pm by Richard230 »

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #33 on: March 24, 2020, 01:53:52 pm

Of course, I don't have that issue as I plug-in my electric motorcycle when I am recharging it at home.   :)

So you think that Corona crisis has been manufactured to promote the electric motorcycles which the whole world is apparently waiting for?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: March 24, 2020, 02:56:53 pm
What do you do at the fuel pump?  That seems like a good place to pick up a virus, along with grocery stores, of course.   ::)  What I do is to use the windshield wiping paper towels that are usually available at gas station pump islands to hold the pump nozzle. Unfortunately, in California, you also have to use your other hand to pull back hard on the rubber gas-trapping billows to get the pump to work. But it is very unlikely that thing would have been touched by any of the unwashed public driving a car.

Well, for now with the Bullet that's not an issue, since I tank up at home from fuel cans after every ride with ethanol-free 89 octane that I treat with StaBil 360 and a dash of Marvel Mystery Oil. I fill the cans in fuel runs every couple-few months to a station about 30 miles south where the EPA allows sale of the good stuff at the pump since it's supposedly a "rural, non-metropolitan" area (even though it's a big Wawa convenience store in downtown Frederiksburg, a fair-sized little city of about 30,000). Fortunately, here in Virginia we needn't struggle with those spring-loaded pump nozzle condoms. We had 'em for a time years and years ago, but no longer.

As for my cars that get the normal 10% ethanol spew, as well as doing the left-handed thing, I've got a huge box of those nitrile gloves, some of which I've divvied into a few ziplock bags for the glove compartments, panniers of the bike and so forth. Just one on the left hand will do you: Goop up with sanitizer, glove on left, tank up, peel off glove and discard, goop up again, and off you go.

This left-handing thing ain't magic, but if you've GOT to be pawing around out there in Crudsville, it can't hurt to lessen your chances of transmission, right? Stay fine, my man!

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 24, 2020, 03:34:25 pm
So you think that Corona crisis has been manufactured to promote the electric motorcycles which the whole world is apparently waiting for?

Well, with the price of gas falling like a rock, it seems unlikely that would be the case.  My electric rates are going up sky high due to our utility company Pacific, Graft and Explosion, being in bankruptcy court and just having admitted to in court to killing something like 84 people due to their equipment starting a fire and burning down an entire town.  Someone is going to have to pay for all of that damage and lawsuit claims and it will likely be us electric ratepayers.   >:(

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: March 24, 2020, 03:44:30 pm
I like this idea of what to do while you are stuck at home due to the virus.  ;D

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: March 24, 2020, 03:55:40 pm
"Howdy, my name is Rabindranath..."

A.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #38 on: March 24, 2020, 07:58:47 pm
 ;D ;D ;D
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #39 on: March 24, 2020, 08:04:05 pm
What do you do at the fuel pump?  That seems like a good place to pick up a virus, along with grocery stores, of course.   ::)  What I do is to use the windshield wiping paper towels that are usually available at gas station pump islands to hold the pump nozzle

Wear some gloves (dish washing ones will do, nitrile better) or use the alcohol gel. Washing hands with soap and water is the most effective way but you have to do it properly.

Suppose you could clean the pump handle before you touch it?
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 03:02:00 am
Wear some gloves (dish washing ones will do, nitrile better) or use the alcohol gel. Washing hands with soap and water is the most effective way but you have to do it properly.

Suppose you could clean the pump handle before you touch it?

CDC has a bunch of guidance online for making your own hand sanitizer, disinfectant spray, and so forth. I guess if you're in a car you could do everyone a favor and tote around a spray bottle with about 1 part bleach to 5 parts water, and just spritz those handles, fuel choice buttons and credit card terminals. An old Tilex spray bottle is ideal, since it's designed for it. Don't use a spray  bottle that held an ammonia solution, like some glass cleaners, unless you want to reenact the Battle of the Somme gas attacks in your Dodge.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #41 on: March 26, 2020, 01:28:22 am
Don't use a spray  bottle that held an ammonia solution, like some glass cleaners, unless you want to reenact the Battle of the Somme gas attacks in your Dodge.

This. When I was a kid my mom decided to mix cleaners. It almost killed her.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #42 on: March 29, 2020, 06:12:05 pm
www.thelocal.se/20200328/explaining-the-science-behind-swedens-relaxed-coronavirus-approach

Would I for once agree with the Swedish gov. ? I think so....

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #43 on: March 31, 2020, 02:18:03 pm
At least we British can get back to the one (Only) thing we are really good at...…..
Queueing!
outside all the supermarkets there are lines marked at 2m intervals(6'6") so we can be regimented  exactly the same distance apart, waiting for the small group of people allowed within the store do their shopping and leave, we then, maintaining our 2m apart shuffle forward 5 or 6 markings, until it's our turn to enter the shopping world, but only 1 person per family at any one time!........all good fun while it's sunny!
Most so called non essential stores are closed, we are only allowed to go out for exercise, get essential supplies, go to work if absolutely necessary or get meds.

Not to bad if you have land around your property but pretty horrible if you live in a block of flats or city.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: March 31, 2020, 03:35:38 pm
Along with DC and Maryland, our Virginia governor Northam finally issued a stay-at-home order yesterday. It's a tad on the wishy-washy side. For example, beaches are closed except for "exercising or fishing"...I mean why not "sandcastle building"? But all the same, I'm glad I got in that lovely long pleasure snort on the Bullet yesterday without having to lash some radishes or Advil to the handlebars to demonstrate my food and medical supplies gathering cred.

In the event that anyone might be interested in this or other Wuhan Flu related executive orders by our guv, here they are: https://www.governor.virginia.gov/executive-actions/ . Given the circumstances, I suppose we're sort of fortunate Northam's a medical doctor, with at least SOME clue of what a virus is or does, unlike some orange fellow I can think of whose extent of knowledge of viruses probably derives chiefly from that "anything goes" upper deck at Studio 54 back in the day, and who sends the stock market tumbling 1,000 points every time he mentions the damned things.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: March 31, 2020, 04:23:52 pm
Today's virus kneejerk discussion in the SF Bay Area is are construction companies an "essential" service?  Some politicians say they are if they are building housing, grocery stores, hospitals, or other things that happen to interest them, or that they have financial ties to.  Other politicians say that only construction firms building hospitals should be allowed to continue to operate. That is really going to make it tough on low-paid Mexican workers who seem to perform most of the construction labor in California. If hey get laid off, what do they do next?  The day workers lined up outside Home Depot have all slipped away.

My daughter just had the foundations of her home rebuilt and all of the workers spoke Spanish, except for the foreman, who spoke English and also had an extensive knowledge of Spanish swear words.  Fortunately, the work was completed just in time to miss the lock-down, but unfortunately the contractor has not had any success contacting the county building inspector to final the permit. The guy seems to have disappeared.  ???

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: April 01, 2020, 02:44:24 pm
The latest kneejerk news from California is that there is a push for everyone who ventures outside wear a mask as they do in some other countries. And if you can't find a mask, wear a bandana.  (How about a ski mask?) I bet the banks and gas station attendants love that idea.   ::)

And in the SF Bay Area, the latest news this morning is that the politicians are demanding that all nonessential construction be shut down. What they haven't said is why this is necessary and what construction is nonessential and what isn't.  ???
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:31:01 pm by Richard230 »

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #47 on: April 01, 2020, 05:07:31 pm
Do you wear rubber gloves for shopping?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:11:55 pm by Stanley »
Lurker on a Vespa

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: April 01, 2020, 07:04:49 pm
Do you wear rubber gloves for shopping?

I do. The same nitrile gloves that I use to change my B5's oil and filter.   ;D

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #49 on: April 01, 2020, 09:29:22 pm
The latest kneejerk news from California is that there is a push for everyone who ventures outside wear a mask as they do in some other countries. And if you can't find a mask, wear a bandana.

This despite it being widely acknowledged that wearing a face mask is only effective in the very short term (20min or so) and a bandana completely useless. Are they going to mandate positive thoughts next? Or perhaps they're hoping that the masks are a visual reminder for people to take care around each other. That's actually not a bad idea and therefore seems outside the scope of California government.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:23:10 am by gizzo »
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: April 01, 2020, 10:13:25 pm
I believe that the California Plan to defeat the virus is to shame it out of the state.   ::)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #51 on: April 02, 2020, 10:23:46 am
I believe that the California Plan to defeat the virus is to shame it out of the state.   ::)
;D
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: April 02, 2020, 02:13:53 pm
Today's news is that the mayor of LA is demanding that everyone in his city wear a mask or bandana when venturing out of their jail cells - before they plan to rob a bank or a gas station?  Time to break out my ski mask.   ;)

While there are some lame excuses for wearing a mask if you are feeling well, the primary reason seems to be as a symbol showing solidarity with the everyone else suffering the impact of being forced to stay at home and showing that you support your local nutty politician.   :-* Sort of like wearing colors on your leather motorcycle riding jacket.   ::)

And here is the latest news from the San Francisco Bay Area.  They are getting more draconian, especially with regard to traveling distances for recreation.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:31:19 pm by Richard230 »

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #53 on: April 03, 2020, 05:38:50 pm
I plan to wear a mask at the grocery store. One of the cashiers got the bug and the rest are understandably concerned. I see wearing a mask as a gesture to their peace of mind, even if the effectiveness is marginal at best.
Vanity begone!
Lurker on a Vespa

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: April 03, 2020, 09:56:19 pm
I'm not sure what I should do about my old towbeast V8 Durango here in Virginia. Its annual state vehicle inspection ran out at the end of March, but with our governor's recent Stay-at-Home Executive Order except for essential trips for food, medicine, or, oddly enough, fishing at the beach, I'm in a bit of a legal quandry as a civic-minded right-thinking citizen. Should I bring along my old Popeil Pocket Fisherman just in case if challenged? :-\

Perplexed in Panicsburg

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: April 03, 2020, 10:37:45 pm
That is the thing about this situation.  Every jurisdiction in the U.S. seems to have somewhat different rules regarding how to address the stay-at-home concept.  In my county, we are not supposed to travel further then five miles unless it is to get to an essential business. Other counties have no travel limits.  Essential businesses include, grocery stores, banks, hardware stores, gas stations, restaurants for takeout, your neighborhood sidewalks, and local hiking trails.  I am not sure if you can visit the city police station, though.  ;) 

I was at the bank yesterday and at the local Ace Hardware and the grocery store today.  Hardly anyone was wearing masks, gloves, or wiping down stuff with the disposable rags.  Not even the bank tellers were wearing masks or gloves. The bank was limiting the number of people in the building to 10 and had spaces marked out on the floor six feet apart, but when you reached the teller, you were only about 3 feet away.  Go figure?   ???

I just heard today on the news that a paddle board surfer, who was paddling in the Pacific Ocean by himself in Southern California was arrested and taken to jail for a few hours for violating the stay at home order.  I guess they were afraid that he might give the fish a virus.  ::)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: April 03, 2020, 11:29:34 pm
I wonder when we will all be required to wear burkas?  ::)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #57 on: April 04, 2020, 12:06:33 am
After you become a woman?
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: April 04, 2020, 12:18:12 am
I wonder when we will all be required to wear burkas?  ::)

Actually, there's your million dollar idea right there: "Plague Couture", like how 'bout some kind of filter-masked form-fitting burka-like getup with maybe an integrated solar-powered propeller beanie sanitizer mister that also plays The Police's "Don't Stand So Close to Me"? Hell, I'm already getting spammy email pitches for all sorts of virus goods from the far east. Remember, in another time of outbreak the sort of outfit shown below became the very height of fashion, known as the "Herr Doktor Schnabel" (= Dr. Beak)...

It's kind of sad when you think about it. A couple-few decades from now when they do one of those decade-by-decade retrospectives, while the other decades will feature fun iconic items like mood rings, pet rocks or flip phones, what'll the 2020s get? Hand sanitizer and surgical masks. If we're lucky.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:22:03 am by Bilgemaster »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: April 04, 2020, 01:13:36 am
Here is the latest filter idea.   ;D

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: April 04, 2020, 02:51:18 am
Richard,  I like that one.  I'm off to the parts store right now to get a supply of filters.  The filter can always be used on the car after the pandemic.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #61 on: April 15, 2020, 01:47:07 am
Every time Trump opens his cake hole he brings the US closer to making Idiocracy a factual film.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #62 on: April 15, 2020, 03:05:23 am
No arguments from me.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 03:33:54 am by Stanley »
Lurker on a Vespa

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: April 15, 2020, 05:30:50 am

Virilade: For when you realize it was a documentary all along.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 05:33:05 am by Bilgemaster »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: April 15, 2020, 10:29:38 pm
Attached is a cartoon from my local newspaper today.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: April 16, 2020, 02:45:29 pm
Today's San Francisco news is that the city's school district plans to give all of their students "A" grades in recognition of them not being able to attend school during the lock-down.  But will they have learned what was to be taught in those classes, or is this just a "progressive" way of not making students feel bad about not being able to attend school and their teachers not knowing how to teach via Zoom?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: April 16, 2020, 03:44:28 pm
I'd been wondering how long it would take for "Non-Participation Trophies" to become a thing...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: April 17, 2020, 06:04:08 pm
Now here is a plan for you homeschoolers.   ;D

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: April 17, 2020, 06:47:43 pm
Here is another sad, but likely predictable, virus kneejerk reaction news from the UK.  :o

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: April 18, 2020, 12:39:08 pm
I can't understand it, their virus works perfectly.

A.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: April 20, 2020, 10:30:34 pm
The latest kneejerk reaction in my town is placing a large illuminated construction-type message board, located about six miles from the city limits, informing drivers on the coast highway that "if you traveled more than 5 miles to get here, go back home".   ::)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: April 22, 2020, 02:19:03 am
First there was Covid...But are you ready for TOEvid?

https://youtu.be/WaBXQ1irNA0

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:33:56 am by Bilgemaster »

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: April 22, 2020, 03:50:30 am
The latest kneejerk reaction in my town is placing a large illuminated construction-type message board, located about six miles from the city limits, informing drivers on the coast highway that "if you traveled more than 5 miles to get here, go back home".   ::)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: April 22, 2020, 09:53:56 pm
More lovely virus ideas from California.   >:(

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: April 22, 2020, 11:40:41 pm
More lovely virus ideas from California.   >:(

The debatable ideas described in that 2nd article notwithstanding, I fear its author, Sherman, might well be an idiot if he believes the mayor of LA will be announcing his plans in Oakland, 400 miles away.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 12:19:31 am by Bilgemaster »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: April 25, 2020, 10:17:06 pm
As a taxpayer, I am not too thrilled about paying taxes to bail out big corporations and the very rich, as described in this article.  >:(

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: May 09, 2020, 11:08:54 pm
Meanwhile even Elon Musk has had enough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52601750

A.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: May 10, 2020, 01:44:24 am

A.

I saw that on the TV news tonight. I can't blame him. He has been really getting jerked around by the appointed County Health Officer, who seems to have it in for Musk.  He says that if they keep putting the screws to him he is going to pick up his marbles and head for greener pastures in another state. Needless to say, the local politicians are in a panic as he brings in a lot of taxes to the County and also provides something like 14,000 jobs to the local economy.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: May 10, 2020, 03:35:15 am

A.

I've long been a casual, albeit only semi-informed, admirer of Elon Musk, even since he founded X.com, a precursor to Paypal back in the '90s. And how could one not admire his subsequent accomplishments? He's like a real life Tony Stark. But in his latest interview with Joe Rogan he comes off like someone just shot him with a tranquilizer pistol:

https://youtu.be/ycPr5-27vSI

I hope that boy ain't going all "Howard Hughesy" on us, eating only Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable, searching for clues in those alphabet noodles, and saving his urine in jars.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: May 10, 2020, 02:05:29 pm
I've long been a casual, albeit only semi-informed, admirer of Elon Musk, even since he founded X.com, a precursor to Paypal back in the '90s. And how could one not admire his subsequent accomplishments? He's like a real life Tony Stark. But in his latest interview with Joe Rogan he comes off like someone just shot him with a tranquilizer pistol:

https://youtu.be/ycPr5-27vSI

I hope that boy ain't going all "Howard Hughesy" on us, eating only Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable, searching for clues in those alphabet noodles, and saving his urine in jars.

He just had a son by his girlfriend who he is not getting along with very well.  They are trying to name his son a name that would be illegal in California because the name contains random letters and numbers.  Plus, he says that he wants to sell his 10 homes and become homeless.  Apparently, Musk is going off the deep end right now.  ::)  Hopefully, he can recover before he does something to harm himself or his companies.  The "poor" guy need a little help.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #80 on: May 10, 2020, 02:45:35 pm
I'm more worried about his somewhat radical fans who can't afford a Tesla and than buy into some electric crap made by Toyota or China, subsidised by the nanny.    :(

Toyota donates than in return the taxpayers money to questionable organizations that torture anyone with a standard petrol or diesel vehicle. Rather walk than putting my ass into a Toyota ever.  >:(

Google it if you don't believe it, there is nothing else to do anyway in this Covid times.  ;)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 03:07:41 pm by Joe_535i »

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #81 on: May 10, 2020, 03:51:44 pm
Just how do they torture the petrol users? Do they recite poetry with grammar and spelling errors? How about a link to the web page?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #82 on: May 10, 2020, 04:00:33 pm
It's the standard procedure, restrict rights for somewhat older car users, prohibit them to enter certain areas, send out warnings...

...this worked out fine as long as the time frame was 5-8 years. Now who can go and buy a new car every 2nd year? And even if you can would you want to?

Just how do they torture the petrol users? Do they recite poetry with grammar and spelling errors? How about a link to the web page?

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&pto=aue&rurl=translate.google.de&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://m.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/auto-verkehr/deutsche-umwelthilfe-bekommt-geld-von-toyota-14256098.html&usg=ALkJrhjJ7-HXn6z-N__0b-AoESor7yaL6Q

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&pto=aue&rurl=translate.google.de&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://m.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/auto-verkehr/deutsche-umwelthilfe-die-diesel-hasser-14246048.html&usg=ALkJrhjNY_ifNb4SVlDyyhzNAXYj_uWASg
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:17:12 pm by Joe_535i »

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: May 10, 2020, 04:24:28 pm
I guess the torture was psycological when our European cousins realized how naive they were buying into that clean diesel nonsense. I still can't understand how that happened. What were they thinking?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #84 on: May 10, 2020, 04:38:14 pm
They were NOT thinkig at all, it's the regulations which made them buy it, diesel is chep and if you travel a lot it has the benefit of high mileage. At the same time it is driven by the CO2 reduction agenda as simple as that, lower consumption equals lower CO2 output. Tax petrol more than diesel and people will go to diesel, the average consumer doesn't have neither the technical nor the regulatory background to understand the driving forces. At the same time it's about jobs, higher variaty equals more jobs, that comes to a halt latest when every car sold is a custom built, but before that happens the company is gone bust long time ago.  ;)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #85 on: May 10, 2020, 04:43:17 pm
I guess the torture was psycological when our European cousins realized how naive they were buying into that clean diesel nonsense. I still can't understand how that happened. What were they thinking?

IMHO the hybrid proponents are atleast equally naive, most of them are sold only due to tax incentives. If no petrol cars get sold there probably won't be hybrids either.  ;) - no one left to be taxed.  :(

I like Musk "because" he was naive enough to go full battery car when no one else would dare such a bold step, that made Tesla cult which the other EV manufacturers won't be able to replicate ever imo no matter how hard they try as there is too little benefit in an EV. That's just my opinion, may I be proven wrong.  :)

Older firms like Harley or BMW might be better off to go the RE way and review their roots and heritage and keep the EV dreams bit smaller at present times, if the socioeconomic environment permits and if the virus is ever defeated.  :(
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:24:14 pm by Joe_535i »

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #86 on: May 10, 2020, 05:07:32 pm
IMHO the hybrid proponents are atleast equally naive, most of them are sold only due to tax incentives. If no petrol cars get sold there probably won't be hybrids either.  ;) - no one left to be taxed.  :(
Agreed, the Hybrid peeps probably more naive. These technologies need a lot more time to bear fruit. Right now not so much.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #87 on: May 10, 2020, 06:40:07 pm
Musk should bring Tesla to Tennessee. Very friendly state for automotive factories and parts factories. Low taxes, right-to-work, lots of available labor.
VW has a factory in Chattanooga, my wife works at the largest automotive seating company in the world, Denso fuel injection is down the street, and NGK spark plugs is 10 miles up the road.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #88 on: May 10, 2020, 06:57:47 pm
Agreed, the Hybrid peeps probably more naive. These technologies need a lot more time to bear fruit. Right now not so much.

What the hybrid peeps don't understand if you want to sell a product it has to be best in something, Tesla may suck in many aspects but it has probably the best acceleration of any street leagal car and some other aspects that make it desireable to some customers. Now if you make a hybrid atleast combine the benefits of the two worlds and make an hybrid that accelerates like an Tesla and has the range of an diesel and is as much fun to drive like an Mustang GTO with manual transmission and you get some people to go WOW I want that car. Maybe than you have a chance to conquer some market share. However as long as the polititians keep messing in it and the design is purely to minimize CO2 emissions, it won't ever happen.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 07:10:13 pm by Joe_535i »

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #89 on: May 11, 2020, 11:17:56 am
Musk should bring Tesla to Tennessee. Very friendly state for automotive factories and parts factories. Low taxes, right-to-work, lots of available labor.
VW has a factory in Chattanooga, my wife works at the largest automotive seating company in the world, Denso fuel injection is down the street, and NGK spark plugs is 10 miles up the road.

Peeps infected wife with corona couple of times, would need now probably about a hundred pushrods to fix it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 11:38:28 am by Joe_535i »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: May 11, 2020, 02:14:26 pm
My daughter owns a typical CA subdivision home built in the 1950's on a 50 by 100 foot lot. She told me yesterday that her husband cut back a large hedge along their side yard fence and when he looked over the fence he noticed a row of tents in their neighbor's backyard.  She said that they had seen a number of strange cars parked in the street lately that they didn't recognize and (when her chickens were not clucking) had been hearing a many different strange Spanish-speaking voices coming from the house and yard.  She thinks that her neighbor is renting out his backyard as a low cost apartment complex using tents instead of rooms.  She has been in the home before and it has three bedrooms, two bathrooms and one kitchen, just like hers. She also says that the people living there seem to do most of their cooking on a patio gas grill.

I guess that is why they don't complain about the chicken noise coming from her yard and the flies that they attract. They would likely prefer that the county not notice what is going on in their home, either.  Kind of creative, but I imagine that only undocumented Mexicans would be able to live for very long under those conditions and living arrangements.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #91 on: May 11, 2020, 08:27:04 pm
Ya, I got it.  ;)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #92 on: May 11, 2020, 08:46:00 pm
Peeps infected wife with corona couple of times, would need now probably about a hundred pushrods to fix it.

Maybe not, maybe someone just wants that crazy apparent I live in. That could explan why sometimes cycles disappear from the storage. ::)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 08:54:37 pm by Joe_535i »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #93 on: May 12, 2020, 01:14:50 am
In today's "show me the money" news: California's Governor, Newsom, said at his daily news conference that he and some other state governors have sent Congress a letter asking for one trillion dollars to reimburse the states, counties and cities for the costs of dealing with the corona virus.

Not to be outdone, Kalma Harris, who would like to be Biden's VP running mate, is asking Congress to provide $2,000 a month for every "needy" family household member for as long as the virus crisis lasts.

And so it goes. Another day, another trillion dollars and more. After all it just grows on trees, so who cares what the amount is?  Gotta keep those printing presses running.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #94 on: May 12, 2020, 07:00:45 am
Where are they going to get the money? Borrow it from China? Hold on a minute......
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #95 on: May 12, 2020, 09:35:08 am
And what about the parasitic debt slaves that occupy usually the big firms with zero productivity to finance their new homes?

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #96 on: May 12, 2020, 09:38:01 am
Where are they going to get the money? Borrow it from China? Hold on a minute......

The more important question might be how it's spent...

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #97 on: May 12, 2020, 11:58:19 am
The more important question might be how it's spent...

Meth amphetamines and big screen TVs,  silly...
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: May 12, 2020, 02:40:42 pm
I heard more details regarding Harris's plan this morning. She wants every family making $120K or less to receive $2,000 a month for each family member and child up to three children. This money would be sent to everyone in the country until the virus has been defeated, the crisis is declared over and everyone is back to work.  I also heard that she is the front-runner to be Biden's VP.

The talk show influencers are already starting to push her plan, or another plan like it, for a monthly government paycheck.  Supposedly this would give people money to buy stuff and that would bring back the nation's economy.  What no one talks about is that many people receiving a big check every month might not want to return to work as many businesses would not be able to pay them as much as a tax-free handout, which is what is happening right now in California with the combined state and federal virus unemployment insurance payouts.

Meanwhile, Trump is also kicking around a plan for another trillion dollar bailout.  No doubt he is trying to decide what kind of plan would enhance his chances for reelection.

Not once has anyone even mentioned a possible plan for funding these free-money payouts or how the current and future trillions of dollars of deficits might be paid back (with interest) in the future.  For some mysterious reason no one seems to want to use the words "taxes" and talk about the "children/grandchildren/great-grandchildren", who would be paying back the loans that the federal and state governments are taking out to pay for the bailouts.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #99 on: May 12, 2020, 03:18:56 pm
Maybe they finance it with the 1 trillion $ coin, debt free?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillion-dollar_coin

...i don't find that idea too ridiculous, how it's spent might be more important. Probably better than a destructive deflation.

To avoid the workforce issue, there was the idea of the universal basic income even if you have a job. A issue many working people face is that the government paychecks are higher than the income from a job. The universal basic income would deal with this issue, in THEORY.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:28:35 pm by Joe_535i »

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: May 12, 2020, 03:33:29 pm
All the variations of socialism work just fine until you run out of someone else's money.  ::)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #101 on: May 12, 2020, 03:38:21 pm
All the variations of socialism work just fine until you run out of someone else's money.  ::)

Ya, but where does socialism end and where does it start exactly? I don't think anyone would complain if the gov. spends bit on infrastructure or infrastructure maintenance. Or do you expect Musk to do it too?

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #102 on: May 12, 2020, 04:05:26 pm
Thats the Federal Governments job, to pave roads deliver mail, and defend America . Last time I checked...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #103 on: May 12, 2020, 07:06:27 pm
Maybe Trump could suggest a plan to Gov Newsome for a few dollars reward for every illegal alien verifiably deported to their original home country?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #104 on: May 12, 2020, 08:32:46 pm
On the Virus front... apparently, Corona leads to Kawasaki syndrome in some children, who would have thought.  :D :D :D

...might be related to Toyota too? Who knows... :o

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/health/kawasaki-disease-children-die-in-new-york-from-coronaviruslinked-syndrome/news-story/0e51dee62e03cd0d1f2dd02cb8dcb461

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #105 on: May 12, 2020, 08:35:25 pm
Maybe Trump could suggest a plan to Gov Newsome for a few dollars reward for every illegal alien verifiably deported to their original home country?

That has beed tried in couple of EU countries, basically it didn't work because to put it in simple words some people would throw themselves infront of the train.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #106 on: May 12, 2020, 08:37:43 pm
Trump ceded powers to the governors for reopening.
Lurker on a Vespa

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #107 on: May 12, 2020, 10:27:48 pm
In today's news Speaker of the House, Polosi, was quoted as saying that she was working on another bailout bill. This one would be three trillion dollars and would be split between governments and the country's needy residents (note that I didn't say "citizens").  She wants to see it passed by this Friday. Whereupon it will head for the Senate and they will likely want to go "double or nothing".   :o  I imagine that Trump will want to jump on this bailout bandwagon, too.  ::)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #108 on: May 13, 2020, 02:04:56 pm
One more comment: The Democratic proposed virus bailout bill has 1800 pages and will be submitted to the House today.  They plan on voting on it on Friday.  How many of you could read 1800 pages of legalize and understand what it means in just two or three days?   ::)  And the interesting thing is that I heard that no one really knows who wrote the law and who was involved in its creation.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #109 on: May 13, 2020, 09:02:59 pm
One more comment: The Democratic proposed virus bailout bill has 1800 pages and will be submitted to the House today.  They plan on voting on it on Friday.  How many of you could read 1800 pages of legalize and understand what it means in just two or three days?   ::)  And the interesting thing is that I heard that no one really knows who wrote the law and who was involved in its creation.

The Senate won't pass it. It will be sent back. It's another Democrat payback of old political IOUs the same as obama's stimulus package that totally disappeared $800,000,000. The Democrat bill is mostly vote-buying and has nothing to do with debts incurred or any kind of "rescue" of taxpayers injured by the coronavirus. She knows exactly how to buy votes and hold this country hostage while she does it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 09:05:04 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #110 on: May 14, 2020, 03:04:18 pm
1800 pages, wow, might have been written by some chinese ghostwriters.  ;D They might be writing for the EU too, who knows.  :o

Certainly rather drink myself to death than move a finger to enrich one of these commie f#$&s.  >:(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 03:34:14 pm by Joe_535i »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #111 on: May 15, 2020, 01:13:15 am
Today's virus lock-down protest news is that thousands of churches throughout California plan to start up their operations starting May 31. They say if the Governor will not approve their resumption of in-person services, they will go ahead and hold them anyway and they don't care what the Governor does to try to enforce his edict. Governor Newsom says that he will not relent and the churches must remain closed. Stay tuned for the fun starting June 1.  :o

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #112 on: May 16, 2020, 08:06:19 pm

That's the mothods, 10 years man, 10 years.....you know if you want the coordinates.  ;D

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: May 16, 2020, 09:10:45 pm
That's the mothods, 10 years man, 10 years.....you know if you want the coordinates.  ;D

I have no idea WTF you're on about. Does anybody?

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #114 on: May 16, 2020, 10:29:27 pm
Getting bored of the corona. ;)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #115 on: May 16, 2020, 10:29:45 pm
I have no idea, either. But my newspaper today said that Musk is heading for Texas and will be building a new factory there to manufacture the Model Y and his futuristic pickup truck.  I think he has had it with California.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #116 on: May 17, 2020, 05:59:50 am
Tesla will be interesting to watch.

It would be pretty easy for Musk to move the corporate headquarters along with the majority of the engineering department to just about anywhere but, moving something as big and complex as an automotive assembly line with all of its supporting storage and equipment would cost a fortune.  That's not to mention what shutting down the entire production of cars until the move is complete would do to sales.
The company doesn't have the kind of money that would take laying around.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #117 on: May 17, 2020, 03:10:26 pm
My daughter hasn't worn a mask, gloves, or sanitizes anything, including gas pumps, (unless she has to to enter a store) since the scare started and she does all of the shopping for her family. Plus, she raises chickens and blows dried chicken poop around the yard with a leaf blower and doesn't wear a mask then either. (I would be wearing a hazmat suit if I did that!) So far this year neither she nor her family have been sick.

I rode up to Alice's Restaurant with three friends yesterday. We all brought masks with us as they won't sell you takeout food unless you are wearing a mask.  There were a number of motorcyclists that arrived after we did, none were wearing masks or practicing social distancing.  Shortly afterward a sports car club drove up and started to congregate in the Restaurant's parking lot (not a mask in sight), until the owner ran them off.

Yesterday I watched a new Itchy Boots video. She is riding around the Netherlands on her new Himalayan showing off her country, until she can return to South America to finish her trip. During the video she said that the Netherlands was pretty much open, including schools, playgrounds, hair and nail salons, massage parlors and just about everything else - except for bars and in-dining restaurants. So why are the Netherlands, or many other countries in Europe, different from the U.S. and its various states, which all have different random rules on how to live with the virus?

So I have to ask myself, which is worse, the chance that you might become sick from the virus or the fear of getting sick of the virus? The news media, politicians and local health officers are certainly pushing the fear angle as hard as they can. But in the meantime the economy is collapsing, Congress, both Republicans and Democrats, are using the fear of the virus to hand out free future taxpayer money to their various constituents in the hopes that will get them elected this November.

Meanwhile people are becoming jobless, have no income and are starting to be kicked out of their homes for lack of money to pay rent. They are becoming homeless and perhaps even starting to wonder where their next meal is coming from. Rome is burning and it seems as if there is little being done to put out the economic fire that will keep the fire under control for more than a few months.  People and businesses need to return to work this summer so that they can feed their families and go on living their lives.

As an example: Two weeks ago my county said that its residents could not travel more than 5 miles from home to exercise. Last week they changed that to 10 miles.  But what is the difference between 5 miles and 10 miles from one week to the next that will keep you from getting or spreading the infection. If you are actually sick it is unlikely that you will be out jogging miles from home. Plus, it is the only county to have a rule like that. Why are the rules so different from one political jurisdiction to the next? Isn't the virus the same everywhere? Another crazy example is that different Bay Area county health official says that it is OK for large groups of people in his county to meet in a parking lot as long as they stay in their cars, but it is not OK for motorcycle riders to congregate in a group. That is the only time I have heard a rule like that before.  ::)

The economic situation caused by the fear of catching the virus is becoming catastrophic and I think it is about time we gave that some thought. I think we should all take common sense personal precautions against picking up the infection, but let's not make rules that are so draconian and mostly unproven (except in various health officers imaginations) that the world comes to a stop.  :(

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #118 on: May 17, 2020, 03:15:52 pm
Maybe you should become a rebbel finally.  :o

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #119 on: May 17, 2020, 06:12:22 pm
Just some blathering from an old fart:
I believe the virus is something to avoid for people my age, considering old age's inevitable ailments are challenging enough.
My family has had four cases of it and my wife and I are lucky so far. I appreciate that people are suffering from depressing isolation and crippling unemployment, but also feel concerned for the doctors and nurses in my family.  Working in a hospital made me keenly aware that intubation must resemble being crushed by Lizzo. The granddaughter just became a physician in Spain, where we usually vacation. I hope to feel safe flying there again. Whatever you do, be well.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 06:21:46 pm by Stanley »
Lurker on a Vespa

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #120 on: May 17, 2020, 07:15:18 pm
Also, keep in mind these rules are made and advertised by people with steady incomes.Thats the part that bangs me.....

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #121 on: May 17, 2020, 08:53:57 pm
Also, keep in mind these rules are made and advertised by people with steady incomes.Thats the part that bangs me.....

I agree. I was really surprised to hear that a local county health officer ramped up her staff to over 10,000 public employees to track and manage the county infections. Why would you want to give that up?  Right now that county is the only one in the SF Bay Area that has not allowed any loosening of their shelter-in-place and other regulations.

Meanwhile, hospitals in the area are laying off medical employees, like doctors and especially nurses, because there are not enough patents that need money-making elective surgeries to fund their operations, since they are required to keep 35% of their beds empty in case there is an uptick in virus cases that need medical attention.  I believe I heard the other day that Stanford Hospital recently laid off over 200 of their staff due to budget problems.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #122 on: May 17, 2020, 09:25:46 pm
I agree. I was really surprised to hear that a local county health officer ramped up her staff to over 10,000 public employees to track and manage the county infections. Why would you want to give that up?  Right now that county is the only one in the SF Bay Area that has not allowed any loosening of their shelter-in-place and other regulations.

Meanwhile, hospitals in the area are laying off medical employees, like doctors and especially nurses, because there are not enough patents that need money-making elective surgeries to fund their operations, since they are required to keep 35% of their beds empty in case there is an uptick in virus cases that need medical attention.  I believe I heard the other day that Stanford Hospital recently laid off over 200 of their staff due to budget problems.

That's how you treat those "Front Line Medical Heros"...You give 'em the good old "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out" and directions to the nearest food bank. Meanwhile, Morton, detailed from the county's Solid Waste Statistics Office to the Public Health Office for the duration of the emergency, is busily "working at home" in his bathrobe by tapping that [F5] key every hour or so to refresh an otherwise untouched spreadsheet so as to seem "active" while actually on a 'Jersey Shore' binge-watching marathon. Your tax dollars at work.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #123 on: May 17, 2020, 11:29:32 pm

As an example: Two weeks ago my county said that its residents could not travel more than 5 miles from home to exercise. Last week they changed that to 10 miles.  But what is the difference between 5 miles and 10 miles from one week to the next that will keep you from getting or spreading the infection. If you are actually sick it is unlikely that you will be out jogging miles from home.

Because there's the 2 week incubation period where you can be infectious but not sick. A tour group to a local wine region caused an outbreak just like that. The whole district was locked down for that.

The rest of it (gatherings in carpark etc) maybe that's why the population as a while is being treated like children. It happened here. Infections dropped off so beaches were opened. People started behaving like before the flu so beaches shut again.

Anyway you'd imagine 90,000 deaths so far would be a food indicator things are not OK.  The economy side of the problem sucks. I don't think anyone wins that argument.

Things are looking pretty good in Australia. 98 deaths so far. Shops are open and we're back to dining out, albeit outside only and max 10 people per venue.  Best of all,  track days are back!

I'm glad your daughter and family are well. Guess that getting sick is a matter of luck to an extent and if you don't come in contact with an infected person you're pretty safe.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #124 on: May 18, 2020, 01:36:41 am
It may be in our genes. I haven't had a fever, much less a flu, in over 50 years. Maybe a cold every couple of years.  My mother never got sick, either. She lived to 94 and passed away due to dementia. Same with my grandmother and grandfather, although they passed away shortly after breaking their hips.

Jumboism

• Neophyte
Reply #125 on: June 11, 2020, 01:48:42 pm
Our state finally started opening, now I can go find more stuff to add to my collection of knives.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #126 on: June 11, 2020, 02:33:46 pm
Our state finally started opening, now I can go find more stuff to add to my collection of knives.

You must not live in California. I think there is a law against owning knives here. They only let us have plastic ones, made from recycled organic soda bottles.  ::)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #127 on: August 27, 2020, 05:05:47 pm
Around 30% economy wiped out globally, all doctors discredited except of those few who are out of job by not confirming to the bullshit. Same thing that happend to the engineering profession after the idiotic diesel scandal. NOT a great job who ever was involved, the gap is closing on you.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #128 on: August 28, 2020, 01:34:33 am
As a cantankerous reclusive old dude who hates people anyway, I am not personally seeing a lot of difference. 

Some of my younger millennial relatives whose hobby the past few years has been nightclubbing and having sex with as many different people in a week as possible are feeling it though.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #129 on: August 28, 2020, 07:11:55 am
And the workforce, tortured by psychopathic control freaks that has been tortured by drug tests, social engineering experiments, idiotic group activities, ridiculous salaries have to additionally comply to corona  rules, wearing masks 8 to 10 hours a day, being monitored 27/7 for compliance without any time off, videotaped, followed by secret agents hired by their corporation. No time off, they feel it too. Soon there will be only clueless kiddies working, why does this remind me of the end of some famous event couple of decades ago.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #130 on: August 28, 2020, 01:29:08 pm
As a cantankerous reclusive old dude who hates people anyway, I am not personally seeing a lot of difference. 

Some of my younger millennial relatives whose hobby the past few years has been nightclubbing and having sex with as many different people in a week as possible are feeling it though.

Our restrictions lifted a while back. a mate who works in retail in a camping store says he's never been so busy.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Lothario

• Neophyte
Reply #131 on: August 30, 2020, 07:55:27 pm
If pubs are not open, I can just drink at my house. Just make do of what we can do at the moment.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #132 on: August 31, 2020, 06:21:17 am
If pubs are not open, I can just drink at my house. Just make do of what we can do at the moment.

https://youtu.be/iEWobZTR5Rw

....probably for the rest of your life, it's the chinese doing it.  ;)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #133 on: September 12, 2020, 12:08:17 pm
You must not live in California. I think there is a law against owning knives here. They only let us have plastic ones, made from recycled organic soda bottles.  ::)

Who is your state's personal lunatic Newsom going to blame the fires on next? I remember when Jerry Brown was head loony tune and wondering "How much worse can Califernya get"?

Have you figured out a way to "Escape From California" yet?  ;)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #134 on: September 12, 2020, 02:40:25 pm
           Who is your state's personal lunatic Newsom going to blame the fires on next? I remember when Jerry Brown was head loony tune and wondering "How much worse can Califernya get"?

Have you figured out a way to "Escape From California" yet?  ;)

All of the politicians and most of the media reporters here blame President Trump for everything bad that happens. He gets blamed for not protecting everyone from the pandemic and I think they are also blaming him for the fires started by lightning bolts.   :o  Regarding Newsom, he sure likes to hear himself talk. Almost every day he spends an hour holding a press conference to discuss whatever is on his mind at that time and telling the residents of the state that if they don't follow his orders they will be condemned to Hell - or at least that is the way he makes it sound. And then everything he says is repeated by the media for the next 24 hours until he comes out of his kooko clock again when the hands strike noon.  ::)

As for me, I am too retired and just coasting along with a fully paid off home and minimal living expenses, so I don't have any plans to move out of Dodge. But if I was younger and needed a job I would go elsewhere where I could keep some of the money that I earned instead of giving it to the state so that it could be redistributed to the less fortunate who don't want to work for a living.   >:(

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #135 on: September 12, 2020, 06:05:00 pm
All of the politicians and most of the media reporters here blame President Trump for everything bad that happens. He gets blamed for not protecting everyone from the pandemic and I think they are also blaming him for the fires started by lightning bolts.   :o  Regarding Newsom, he sure likes to hear himself talk. Almost every day he spends an hour holding a press conference to discuss whatever is on his mind at that time and telling the residents of the state that if they don't follow his orders they will be condemned to Hell - or at least that is the way he makes it sound. And then everything he says is repeated by the media for the next 24 hours until he comes out of his kooko clock again when the hands strike noon.  ::)

As for me, I am too retired and just coasting along with a fully paid off home and minimal living expenses, so I don't have any plans to move out of Dodge. But if I was younger and needed a job I would go elsewhere where I could keep some of the money that I earned instead of giving it to the state so that it could be redistributed to the less fortunate who don't want to work for a living.   >:(

You see more humanshit than birdshit now in Kookoo clocks.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #136 on: September 12, 2020, 07:57:02 pm

Better don't ask them to work too much. They already figured that the china like masks don't work which is why they came up with this.  ::)

Supposedly the politicians buying this stuff in the thousands. Big business. You got to be almost an idiot trying to build something intended to succeed on the free market.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #137 on: September 13, 2020, 12:08:56 am
The Covid-19 response mostly revolves around numbers. At an average 1% kill rate, it's 10x more of an issue than the yearly flu. There is also a neurological component in some infections, as well as lung & other tissue damage not seen in regular flus. In a mixed age/gender population, 100 exposures yield about 5 folks sick enough to be hospitalized. About 40% of those exposed are asymptomatic spreaders feeling zero effects. The rest of the 55% see a spectrum of symptom intensity. Of the 5% actually hospitalized, about 2%-3% end up in the ICU. Maybe half of those admitted to the ICU survive.

These ICU numbers suck up hospital bandwidth, and effectively crash the system if left unchecked. Regular accident/medical emergency victims then can't get admitted, and if they do are at high risk of picking up C19 also. Italy was the best example of this, with folks triaged in corridors left to to die if there was a younger person in similar distress. New York wasn't too far behind. Regular flus generate about 10% of the C19 ICU numbers, so hospitals can still cope.

The C19 just sees people as mobile breeding opportunities. Resistance depends on heredity & general well being. 40% feel nothing, they just serve to spread infection. Folks 55-65 who show symptoms are in a 30% kill box as opposed to maybe 5% - 10% for 20 - 40 year olds. Oldsters 70+ can be in the 50% group.

Blocking retransmission is the only cost effective way around this. Masks stop you from efficiently transmitting to others. It would take some fancy breathing filter hardware to filter out virus for yourself. Masks reduce infection rates. But the virus enters through the eyes and open wounds as well as through the respiratory system, which is the point of the eye shields & "moon suits" worn by medical responders. They are exposed constantly around patients, so need a higher level of protection. Lose enough doctors and you are back to the "crawl away to live or die" strategy.

Medical authorities have stated that if everyone masked up we could be out of this in a month. True enough, if active cases didn't retransmit, then C19 would just run out of hosts organisms and stop. The problem seems to be that lots of us US Ctizens have convinced ourselves that any inconvenience is intolerable, so right now the USA is "#1" in this thing with no end in sight. If EVERYONE was exposed all at once, in 30-50 days we'd have about 3,500,000 bodies to deal with, and maybe 35,000,000 folks with well chewed lungs & other bits. Right now we're at nearly 200,000 dead, only about 6% of the way to "heard immunity" final solution. It'd be way cheaper for everyone to wear a $5 mask for 30 days and wait for a vaccine. - ACR -

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #138 on: September 13, 2020, 04:28:58 am

Blocking retransmission is the only cost effective way around this. Masks stop you from efficiently transmitting to others. It would take some fancy breathing filter hardware to filter out virus for yourself. Masks reduce infection rates. But the virus enters through the eyes and open wounds as well as through the respiratory system, which is the point of the eye shields & "moon suits" worn by medical responders. They are exposed constantly around patients, so need a higher level of protection. Lose enough doctors and you are back to the "crawl away to live or die" strategy.

That is pretty much the reason for the Aussie anti-mask response. No idea about the US but here it translates to "Who gives a shit if the masks stops transmission to others, it is not doing a good job of protecting ME and hence the whole mask thing is a con, if there is nothing in it for me personally you cannot make me do it, it an infringement on my rights".

Though there is also a distinct right wing element stirring up trouble and pushing the idea that we need tough laws and police to crack down on that "other lot" (in Australia the "other lot" is currently indigenous Australians, Chinese and all refugees) whereas "people like us" have a god given human right to do what they please without interference :D

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #139 on: September 13, 2020, 11:19:10 am
That is pretty much the reason for the Aussie anti-mask response. No idea about the US but here it translates to "Who gives a shit if the masks stops transmission to others, it is not doing a good job of protecting ME and hence the whole mask thing is a con, if there is nothing in it for me personally you cannot make me do it, it an infringement on my rights".

Though there is also a distinct right wing element stirring up trouble and pushing the idea that we need tough laws and police to crack down on that "other lot" (in Australia the "other lot" is currently indigenous Australians, Chinese and all refugees) whereas "people like us" have a god given human right to do what they please without interference :D

So you don't think the whole mask thing is con?  ;D

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #140 on: September 13, 2020, 12:22:03 pm
200,000 dead, only about 6% of the way to "heard immunity" final solution. It'd be way cheaper for everyone to wear a $5 mask for 30 days and wait for a vaccine. - ACR -

Sorry - I just have to correct this to read Herd immunity  :)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #141 on: September 13, 2020, 07:47:15 pm
It's just numbers, not an opinion. Too much objective data to reasonably dispute. C19 has 40% - 45% of us acting like mobile incubators but with zero effect on the host organism, which is the best reproduction solution - it maximizes distribution. Physical reality is remarkably indifferent to attitude or opinion, it just is. The best way to avoid testing your personal immune system response is to minimize exposure opportunities. If you are 20 - 45 years old and in good physical shape, not carrying a lot of excess weight, your "kill rate" if exposed is in the 0.2% - 0.5% level. Almost 1/2 of those folks won't have any effect whatsoever from infection. For us geezers, the odds are way worse. The good news is that Estate Lawyers will see booming business, and the economy will bounce as all the inheritees look for investment opportunities. Not all bad news, eh?  :o  - ACR -

2CV - Good catch!  - ACR -
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #142 on: September 13, 2020, 10:42:21 pm
I wonder how the 250K attendees who attended the Sturgis rally, and later their families, are doing?  :'(

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #143 on: September 14, 2020, 04:08:36 am
Good "Wired" article here - ACR -
How Does a Sturgis-Sized Crowd Affect Covid? It's Complicated
That paper on the South Dakota motorcycle rally had flaws, but it's not useless. And it shows the US needs better data collection.
https://www.wired.com/story/how-much-do-crowds-contribute-to-covid-its-complicated/

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #144 on: October 07, 2020, 02:40:45 pm
California continues to drive me crazy. :'( The Governor has established rules for counties that allow them to move from various levels of pandemic restrictions depending upon the number of people tested and are found infected, number of people with Covid-19 in hospitals, etc. As an example: most indoor business activities, such as restaurants, gyms, hair salons and religious activities, are not permitted for counties in one phase, but are permitted in areas with a lesser phase of virus infection and transmission, with certain improvements in reported data.

Just as many counties in the San Francisco Bay Are were about ready to move to a lesser set of restrictions, the Governor added a new one this week that upset their plans. The requirement had been that virus infection and transmission reductions were measured as an average for the entire county. But he just changed the rules to require the published standards to also specifically apply to any economically disadvantaged and/or racially diverse neighborhoods within each county, which typically are more impacted by the pandemic than most other areas of the counties where the residents have smaller families and can work from home. Those new requirements are now preventing all of the counties in the Greater Bay Area, other than the city of San Francisco (which has huge and expensive social programs), from relaxing their business restrictions as most of the people in their local "disadvantaged" neighborhoods either will not or can not follow virus prevention guidelines.

Now the counties are wondering how they can make people comply with social distancing and proper hygiene requirements inside their homes when many of these people have to live in crowded conditions due to their economic and other situations. In other words, the state is trying to force local governments to impose its social engineering concepts onto their residents without the state government needing to take the heat for doing it. Good luck with that. In the meantime, businesses are rapidly going broke and their customers are continuing to suffer by not being able to take advantage of their services.  >:(

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #145 on: October 07, 2020, 03:57:49 pm
I wonder how the 250K attendees who attended the Sturgis rally, and later their families, are doing?  :'(

"attendees who attended"  ??? ??? That's not like you :) :) ;)

But I kant help mentioning that you critique on impure, impractical reason in kalifornia is spot on  :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 04:05:14 pm by tooseevee »

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #146 on: October 07, 2020, 08:41:55 pm
If it cheers you up, you are not alone, the whole europe is f#$÷ed up. I just wonder how many people a politico would engage if he/she found a loose screw on the motorcycle.

Except of Sweden, they don't do much against Covid-19 as it's not necessary since that country already turned into nirvana a decade ago or so, everyone works either for the gov. or is on benefits.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 08:56:54 pm by Joe_535i »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #147 on: October 07, 2020, 10:17:10 pm
The upside to laissez faire C19 management is that we'll clear out the Medicare rolls about 20% and the estate lawyers will do a booming business. The economy should surge as all those inheritors deal with newfound money in a buying spree and (hopefully) some actual investing. Until the death rate gets close to 20%, people don't really think a threat is real. The whole game is to keep the hospitals from having to shove patients into the halls to die like Italy did, allocating bedspace to younger, hopefully more survivable patients. We deal with invisible threats all the time, like IDLH confined spaces, toxic chemicals, radiation, machines that crush you in an instant if not locked out/tagged out properly. None of those threats give a whit about our attitude, cheerfully killing us if we don't adhere to proper safety protocols. Like Redmond said - "This whole thing could be over in a month if we all just wore masks". Break the transmission chain, the virus dies out from lack of host organisms. The "I got mine, Jack" mindset just prolongs the debacle. About 40% of us are completely unaffected by C19, but we still function to propagate the virus. If that's your intent, understand up front the implication of unrestricted viral retransmission. Look at the White House - the smartest guys in the room are awash in C19 because it was more important to look macho without a mask than do what's required to run the country. C19's overall kill rate is 1%; that's 3,500,000 folks dying by drowning in their own lung-juice if nothing was done, and since it's a virus, not much can be done once it has a grip on you. Many other developed countries have death rates 1/60th of ours per capita, but they had a science-based plan & worked it. Freaking Africa has "S _ _ t-Hole" countries doing better than us. Personally, I'd like a better reason to shout "USA - We're #1!!" that our C19 daily death toll stats. A vaccine is still far off for 90% of us. A $3 mask is a tool that will get us where we need to be, if we have the conscience to use it.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #148 on: October 07, 2020, 11:35:22 pm
The latest odd virus regulations in San Francisco is that they are permitting movie theaters to open up but they are not allowing their concession stands to operate.  Theater operators say that they obtain 60% of their income from the selling of snacks and drinks. As usual, no justification is being provided for this new regulation.  ???

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #149 on: October 08, 2020, 12:19:52 am
Fortunately, Google allows quick searches for anyone interested in objective data:
https://abc7news.com/covid-movie-theater-safety-theaters-reopen-cinemark-reopening-california-guidelines/6419541/

Looks like the theatres aren't giving up a 60% revenue stream after all, despite views to the contrary. You can still see the new Bond film, enjoy a $12 popcorn along with a $6 soda and not be crowded whilst doing it. Science marches on...just keep wearing that mask!  ;D  -ACR -

Any changes to concessions?

Yes, but don't worry you can still buy popcorn!

However, there won't be anymore grab and bag candy stations. Only packaged food and candy items will be available for purchase.

Also, no more self-serve beverage machines. You can still buy a beverage, but in California theaters a staff member will fill it and serve you directly over the counter.

What is a movie bubble?

This is new slang for new seating arrangements.

"When you buy a ticket here, you automatically get separated... two seats in front of your group and behind your group... so you're really put into an environment where you all feel comfortable," said Zoradi.

For theaters that have reclining seats, two seats will be empty on either side of your group.

"Our biggest theatre has 400 seats... at 25% capacity, the maximum number of guests we can accommodate would be 100," said Zoradi. "But chances are it will be a little less than that because of how people situate themselves."

How will the experience look different?

At first glance, you'll notice green circle markers that remind people to social distance by standing 6 feet apart.

At second glance, you'll see plexiglass at every ticket counter and concession area.

At third glance, lots of sanitation and hand washing stations scattered on each floor and around each theatre. In addition to sanitation wipe stands that are around each individual theatre.

What steps is Cinemark taking to be clean?

The short answer is - staff will be sanitizing.Sanitizing again and again.

According to Zoradi, every morning staff will be spraying disinfectant on every seat in each theatre. In between movie showings, staff will come and wipe down every seat used.

The company has also improved air filtration systems.

"Every morning we refresh all of the air throughout the whole building," said Zoradi. "Every auditorium has their own air conditioning units, so you're not sharing air from one to the other."

Plus, keep your eyes out for the "Chief Clean & Safety Monitor" - he/she will have a hat and badge!

"It's a Cinemark manager that is fully trained and specializes on making sure all common areas, bathrooms, concession stands... all stay sanitized and clean," Zoradi said.

What else will be new?

You can buy a single ticket - or buy a private watch party will your friends.

"So you can you rent an auditorium here... for $99 with 20 of your friends and it's your trusted group," said Zoradi. "People can come and feel very confident they're in that auditorium and it's only with their group."

Cinemark is one of 385 different companies involved with the CinemaSafe initiative. The program represents over 3,000 theater locations nationwide. The program's guidelines are set by epidemiologists to support a safe experience returning to movie theaters.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #150 on: October 08, 2020, 06:39:49 am
The upside to laissez faire C19 management is that we'll clear out the Medicare rolls about 20% and the estate lawyers will do a booming business. The economy should surge as all those inheritors deal with newfound money in a buying spree and (hopefully) some actual investing. Until the death rate gets close to 20%, people don't really think a threat is real. The whole game is to keep the hospitals from having to shove patients into the halls to die like Italy did, allocating bedspace to younger, hopefully more survivable patients.

I can't see how real estate can possibly drive the economy. Everything is relatively even the value of real estate. Whom exactly are the inheritors going to sell the real estate with so many out of job and income additionally you have a demographic pyramid that stands upside down in most western countries with the worst example being Japan. In the 70's you could buy a house in the UK for couple of hundred pounds, getting there imo, the sooner the better.  Only then the estate market could move again.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 07:28:17 am by Joe_535i »

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #151 on: October 08, 2020, 09:51:26 am
Another perspective from a generation who has grown up after the flower power crack pot heads. You know I've got so much "free" stuff in my life which I've never asked for and got so well paid for anything I did, I just can't wait to give it back. ;)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #152 on: October 08, 2020, 02:21:02 pm
I can't see how real estate can possibly drive the economy. Everything is relatively even the value of real estate. Whom exactly are the inheritors going to sell the real estate with so many out of job and income additionally you have a demographic pyramid that stands upside down in most western countries with the worst example being Japan. In the 70's you could buy a house in the UK for couple of hundred pounds, getting there imo, the sooner the better.  Only then the estate market could move again.

I don't know what it is doing to the overall economy, but real estate sales in my neighborhood have been going crazy this year. I live in a middle-income area where your basic two-story ticky-tacky homes (built by a subsidiary of Alcoa Aluminum) sold for $35K 50 years ago. Last year the homes around here were selling for an average of $1.1 million. This year the typical price is about $1.3 million, with some going for more, but I haven't seen any homes that are less than $1.1 million. Two bedroom, 1/2 bath, townhomes, built in 1971, which originally sold for $20K, are now selling for $750K. But the shocking thing is that they sell within a few days of coming on the market.  A home just down the street from me put up a "for sale" sign last week and three days later the sign was changed to "sale pending". The news media has been reporting that in some areas of the San Francisco Bay Area there are bidding wars between people wanting to purchase a home with as many as 20 buyers bidding against each other and driving the asking price up substantially.

The only explanation that the media has come up with for this trend is that people are moving out of big cities, San Francisco was specifically mentioned, and are returning to the suburbs to get away from high local taxes, roaming homeless populations, property laws that are not being enforced or prosecuted (in SF an average of 21 homes are being broken in to each day, even when the residents are home) and many people are discovering that they don't need to live in or commute to the city anymore to be employed. They can now do that from a larger home with a big yard via the internet from a distant and more pleasant living area.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 02:34:15 pm by Richard230 »

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #153 on: October 08, 2020, 04:24:15 pm
Well you said it, bidding war = speculation is driving the price.

Free vaccines are coming too, sheep are probably already lining up. What mortality rate this upcoming vaccine is going to have? ...Ah, doesn't matter says the EU & the manufacturing company.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-eu-astrazeneca-idUSKCN26G0O0
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 04:33:30 pm by Joe_535i »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #154 on: October 08, 2020, 05:45:45 pm
"I can't see how real estate can possibly drive the economy." Hmmm....I know you were around in 2005....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_housing_bubble#:~:text=The%20United%20States%20housing%20bubble,reached%20new%20lows%20in%202012.

"Free vaccines are coming too" So what's your vaccine strategy going to be? Be first in line, or wait 'n see what happens to others, or go without & hope for the best?

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #155 on: October 08, 2020, 06:05:15 pm
People are selling out and leaving California at such a rate the home prices are crazy high.
With a nod to Yogi Berra, "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Gimme a science-approved liberal pinko commie radical left vaccine like the ones that eliminated the smallpox and polio that disabled my schoolmates. Oh the good old days....
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 06:14:24 pm by Stanley »
Lurker on a Vespa

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #156 on: October 08, 2020, 06:57:57 pm
In my parents generation, everyone knew someone with polio. Vaccines work, despite the best efforts to convince people to the contrary by the GRU driven Qanon bots. Good on you, Stanley. - ACR -

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #157 on: October 08, 2020, 08:12:18 pm
"I can't see how real estate can possibly drive the economy." Hmmm....I know you were around in 2005....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_housing_bubble#:~:text=The%20United%20States%20housing%20bubble,reached%20new%20lows%20in%202012.

"Free vaccines are coming too" So what's your vaccine strategy going to be? Be first in line, or wait 'n see what happens to others, or go without & hope for the best?

Ya, I've been around in 09 too when real estate tried to correct like all markets do. I feel closer to 09 than to 05, I don't know why, although covid sure could push some more people into estate, eventually that powder will also dry out.

Covid vaccine strategy? About the same as with the closed loop o2 control system on my RE. It was not good for much other then to satisfy some clueless checklist tickers at some cash hungry eu emissions department.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:17:31 pm by Joe_535i »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #158 on: October 08, 2020, 08:58:03 pm
I have to admit that I am concerned about the number of people who, according to polls, say they do not plan to get the Covid-19 vaccine when it becomes available. Apparently it is a very large percentage of people living in the U.S. My daughter and her family never get the flu vaccine and so far have never been sick with the flu. She lives in Marin County, CA, which is apparently the epicenter of anti-vaccines thinking. I always get the flu shot and I have never had the flu in over 50 years. So I think it does work and in any case, I can't see that it could hurt to get the shot, be it flu or Covid-19. Besides, by the time that I get it, it will be well tested and if there are any problems a lot of people would have already said if it is safe or not.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #159 on: October 08, 2020, 09:05:41 pm
. Is Azcal referring to Real Estate, or just Estate?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 09:14:36 pm by cyrusb »

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #160 on: October 08, 2020, 09:31:27 pm
. Is Azcal referring to Real Estate, or just Estate?

Maybe only estate? ...should the be a big divide between the two?

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #161 on: October 08, 2020, 10:10:44 pm
From reply 141.. For us geezers, the odds are way worse. The good news is that Estate Lawyers will see booming business, and the economy will bounce as all the inheritees look for investment opportunities. Not all bad news, eh?  :o  - ACR

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #162 on: October 08, 2020, 11:13:40 pm
Estate - all the money and property owned by a particular person, especially at death.
"in his will, he divided his estate between his wife and daughter"

I'm always impressed by the cavalier attitude evinced by the recipients re the departed's property. My "estate" planner said that there was never any "guns or gold" found in the houses of the departed. I witnessed a prime example of such a s _ _ t show a few years ago across the fence when my long time neighbor died.

Mostly all the treasures the departed accumulated over a lifetime are immediately liquidated, including collections that took years to accumulate. That's how my brother gets to buy pocket knives cheaply - the uninterested/uninformed offspring peddle the booty ASAP for whatever they can get on e-bay. My brother was unsettled when he realized that the same paradigm would eventually apply to HIS collection...!

The moral for us was to distribute your treasure amongst the proposed recipients whilst YOU are still alive and have some say in the matter. Get free of "stuff" you aren't really using anymore, none of it will fit in a coffin.

Right now, real estate is selling, mask use is minimal and there are orders of magnitude more unmasked, churlish, asymptomatic spreaders than there were in January. When beloved old Tio Sancho dies and leaves you the retirement house in Sun City, clean out, cash out & run will be the order of the day. As always, those at the spear point of the charge will do best. The banks and Top 5% folks are always up for a good deal if you wait too long. Hey - if you got it for free...some is better than none.

I think Richard230 did a nice summation of the vaccine situation. Until "they" get around to us folk near the end of their tethers, about the best we can do is avoid crowds & mask up. The good news is that Walmart is generally pretty empty before 8AM, and as retirees we have flexible hours, eh? - ACR -

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #163 on: October 09, 2020, 08:22:11 am
People are selling out and leaving California at such a rate the home prices are crazy high.
With a nod to Yogi Berra, "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Gimme a science-approved liberal pinko commie radical left vaccine like the ones that eliminated the smallpox and polio that disabled my schoolmates. Oh the good old days....

Ya, your gov. loves you, freeing you from deadly diesel & petrol emissions, giving you free experimental stage vaccination instead, locking you at home and providing free online porn including amazing quality daily brainwash on the television, what more can anyone possibly ask for. Flower power crackpot global warming heads, deprived me of the fruits of my work twice, because they needed to sell it to the consumer - financial gurus, marketing, sales, management wa$#kz. The "good" news is, when everyone sits at home wan#$z won't have a market for it to sell it to.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:55:20 am by Joe_535i »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #164 on: October 09, 2020, 07:07:27 pm
Fresh from the only trusted news source:
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigan-whitmer-trump-militia-kidnapping-plot

Some seriously deranged "plottin' 'n scheme-in' " going on here. Thirteen "militia men" seriously decided to take over Michigan all by themselves. The other 300+ millions of us are left going "WTF were these guys even thinking?" 1/30,000,000 isn't very good odds. Apparently they never read any history: Waco, Ruby Ridge, Ed & Elaine Brown, etc. Plots/ideas like this show a decreased ability to objectively process information. It's unlikely that going down an incestuous paranoid rat hole will enable useful objectives, but it is a lot of fun for the folks doing the "plottin' 'n scheme-in' ". Maybe not so much fun now though. As long as we pay attention, participate & vote, the "gummint'" is us. Lose interest in the process and other players move in to fill the vacuum. Vote early & vote often, I say. ;D

Similar news from different sources:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gretchen-whitmer-michigan-governor-fbi-kidnapping-plot/
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/politics/fbi-plot-michigan-governor-gretchen-whitmer/index.html

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #165 on: October 09, 2020, 10:27:31 pm
My daughter tells me that her two college-age daughters have already voted and mailed in their ballots. I asked her how they managed to do that considering that there are at least nine local and state politicians being elected and 14 significant state propositions, all of which deserve some time to consider before you cast your vote.  She told me that the kids only voted for President and Vice President and didn't vote on anything else. Kind of makes you wonder in which direction our future generation is heading?  ???

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #166 on: October 09, 2020, 11:29:26 pm
In my parents generation, everyone knew someone with polio. Vaccines work, despite the best efforts to convince people to the contrary by the GRU driven Qanon bots. Good on you, Stanley. - ACR -

Seems like most people believe tinfoil hats are more efficacious than masks or vaccines. Thanks for going in to bat for facts and science, ACR.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #167 on: October 10, 2020, 05:28:22 am
Gizzo - Thanks for the kind words.  :)   - ACR -