Author Topic: Newbie who has questions and needs advice  (Read 1445 times)

Henry2012

• Scooter
on: October 16, 2020, 06:52:30 pm
Hi all,
So I’m a newbie who just got a 2012 Royal Enfield classic 500 battle green with 1141 miles in fantastic condition and I’ve had many motorcycles over the years… But here are some of my basic questions…

-is there no “fuel on/off/reserve switch”? I’ve seen them on other RE models

-the fuel light stays on even with a relatively full tank? Why?

-I wanted to put new handlebar end Mirrors.....so I bought some (not delivered yet) but they say they need to have “hollow” bars. When I use an Allen wrench to take off the weights I still couldn’t get to a hollow bar end....advice?

-anything else I should know about this particular model?

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 08:11:58 pm
Hi all,
So I’m a newbie who just got a 2012 Royal Enfield classic 500 battle green with 1141 miles in fantastic condition and I’ve had many motorcycles over the years… But here are some of my basic questions…

-is there no “fuel on/off/reserve switch”? I’ve seen them on other RE models

-the fuel light stays on even with a relatively full tank? Why?

-I wanted to put new handlebar end Mirrors.....so I bought some (not delivered yet) but they say they need to have “hollow” bars. When I use an Allen wrench to take off the weights I still couldn’t get to a hollow bar end....advice?

-anything else I should know about this particular model?

Fuel injected engines use fuel to cool and lubricate the fuel pump. Occasionally running out probably won't harm anything but if you make a habit of it, like when you would switch to reserve, you will soon be buying a fuel pump. Thats why there's no valve. To ensure that you NEVER run out of gas the low fuel light comes on way too early.

Most bar end mirrors use an internally expanding plug to hold your mirror to the bar. If your bar has the threaded hole in the end (I think it does) then you can simply use the bolt from the weight to install the mirror.

Henry2012

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 08:56:11 pm
Excellent advice. Thank you. Why won’t the fuel light turn off? I’ve read a couple things..... you could put in some seafoam to see if it loosens up the bob on the sensor or even (I don’t want to do this if I don’t have to) take off the tank and clean the fuel sensor bob.... ideas?

Henry2012

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 09:05:09 pm
I mean...obviously it’s a 2012 with 1100 miles so it’s sat for a while (that’s why it’s like a perfectly new bike) and I’ve read and imagine fuel can (especially with ethanol) erode the fuel sensor....

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 09:45:27 pm
Hello and welcome! Probably get more traffic on this topic in the UCE section though, lots of clever folks there. Seafoam & Marvel Mystery Oil are old favorites, the certainly couldn't hurt. Better living through Chemistry, I say!  ;D  - ACR -
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 11:19:56 pm
My 2011 Bullet starts flashing its light after using about 2.5 gallons, with about 1 gallon left in the tank. Before that the light is out. If yours stays on all of the time you should probably check the float level's wiring to make sure that there is not a short somewhere.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 12:48:13 am
I have a Bullet less than 2 months old - same problem with the fuel light:

1st tankful - gone past 230 miles and the fuel light still hasn't come on at all. I smell a rat. I look under the tank and find the fuel level sensor isn't even plugged in and the connector is hanging loose. I plug it in and hey-presto the fuel light comes on!

2nd tankful - fuel light goes out and comes on around 180 miles around what I expected but a little on the over-cautious side.

3rd tankful - fill up and the fuel light remains on. 2 tank fills later and it's still on....
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

Henry2012

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 12:52:52 am
I guess I wasn’t clear....my fuel light WONT turn off.....not it doesn’t turn on.....

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 04:32:07 am
Not that I don't trust an idiot light...

But I top my tank every time I go out.  My light comes on between 220-240 miles (engine not stock).  If I'm not in my driveway at that point, I look for a place to gas up again.

Until you figure it out, I suggest that method.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 12:33:05 pm
I guess I wasn’t clear....my fuel light WONT turn off.....not it doesn’t turn on.....
That is now what my Bullet does too. If I hold the front brake on and pump the forks vigorously I can make the light blink off for a moment - so the sensor/float must be doing something down there....
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 12:37:47 pm
But I top my tank every time I go out.  My light comes on between 220-240 miles (engine not stock).  If I'm not in my driveway at that point, I look for a place to gas up again.
This is the sort of range I would hope for from a machine capable of 80-90 MPG (UK) and a 3.5 gallon (UK) tank, and I certainly wouldn't expect or want my fuel light to come on before 200 miles.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 04:29:44 pm
My old Iron Barrel has no fuel guage of any sort, but if a low level light is in an "always on" state or level meter needle stuck at "E", I'd suspect a wonky fuel level sender in the tank.

A search of the Forum Archives reveals that problems with the OEM senders across UCE models are fairly common. The float can detach, get fuel-logged or just get stiff, especially if it sits or has sat around for long periods.

There have been different types of senders used in various UCE engines of both lever and bob types. Our Forum hosts can certainly square you away with the right one for your bike. Just email them for guidance.

Or, you can just rock it "Old School", ignore or tape over the light if it bugs you, and simply fuel up every 100 miles or so. If it's just a stiff float or actuator arm pivot, it may sort of "fix itself" with more frequent use, and a little SeaFoam or Marvel Mystery Oil (an ounce or two per tankful) in the fuel, as "AzCal Retread" suggests, may help hasten its easing up, and wouldn't do the rest of your ride any harm.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 04:33:40 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 08:55:14 pm
When the float dissolves in the smog gas, the light goes out and stays out.  I am not sure what would cause it to stay on all of the time, other than either a short or the float sprang a leak and is no longer floating.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 04:33:17 am
Excellent advice. Thank you. Why won’t the fuel light turn off? I’ve read a couple things..... you could put in some seafoam to see if it loosens up the bob on the sensor or even (I don’t want to do this if I don’t have to) take off the tank and clean the fuel sensor bob.... ideas?

Because,as you indicate, it has sat for an extended time ... You might as well try a couple of non-invasive things fist if only to check the status of your karma.
   Use up some fuel so it is about half full. Seek out some pot holes.
   Go ahead and use a little bit of additive of Marvel or Seafoam. Ride it.
   Disconnect the battery and then reconnect it. Ride it.
If none of that works at least you've had some rides on your great new motorcycle.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R