Author Topic: Stock Interceptor vs my free-breathing Interceptor  (Read 18375 times)

cyril31

• Grease Monkey
Reply #75 on: August 15, 2020, 09:17:57 am
I’m not sure if that post was aimed at you or me or both of us Cyril! BTW , not doubting your knowledge or skills at all. Just cogitating on possibilities!👍
Cheers Steve
PS I totally agree with the comments posted about nastiness- civility is everything.

I am not a native english speaker so sometimes i have a hard time explaining myself, and some figures of speech do not translate well.

It is actually hard to reason, the human brain is not wired for that. It is wired to follow people that think the same, to create groups, because groups have a stronger chance at survival. Evolution takes time ...
This is a known process. When someone believes in something, he is more likely to accept whatever he reads or hear that support that belief, and only doubt what does not. I am no exception, it took a lot of work to doubt even when something goes my way, and sometimes stuff still goes past that mechanism. I have some videos that explain books about it, which really helped me to understand this, but they are in French so it will probably be useless to you. If you are interested i can try to get the key ideas and books the guy develops, there surely are other videos in english that do the same.

What I meant is that everyone should question stuff when it is said without any kind of proof, especially when it support your own belief, as this is the kind of stuff we tend to give a free pass.

We are humans, we all make mistakes, and I include myself in there. I have posted stuff that was wrong too. I believe there is no shame in getting something wrong, or saying "hey you are right i was wrong". It require putting the ego a bit to the side, which hurts, a lot the first time, less the next, and after some time it does not much.

Anyway this also applies to me; if i say stuff without backing it, or if the explanation I give feels incomplete, off, or if people just do not understand, do not hesitate to doubt and ask. Improving knowledge is all about removing what we think is wrong, and accepting new stuff (that can be proven wrong too later). What i mean is do not believe blindly  ;)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #76 on: August 15, 2020, 11:51:30 am
I am not a native english speaker so sometimes i have a hard time explaining myself, and some figures of speech do not translate well.

It is actually hard to reason, the human brain is not wired for that. It is wired to follow people that think the same, to create groups, because groups have a stronger chance at survival. Evolution takes time ...
This is a known process. When someone believes in something, he is more likely to accept whatever he reads or hear that support that belief, and only doubt what does not. I am no exception, it took a lot of work to doubt even when something goes my way, and sometimes stuff still goes past that mechanism. I have some videos that explain books about it, which really helped me to understand this, but they are in French so it will probably be useless to you. If you are interested i can try to get the key ideas and books the guy develops, there surely are other videos in english that do the same.

What I meant is that everyone should question stuff when it is said without any kind of proof, especially when it support your own belief, as this is the kind of stuff we tend to give a free pass.

We are humans, we all make mistakes, and I include myself in there. I have posted stuff that was wrong too. I believe there is no shame in getting something wrong, or saying "hey you are right i was wrong". It require putting the ego a bit to the side, which hurts, a lot the first time, less the next, and after some time it does not much.

Anyway this also applies to me; if i say stuff without backing it, or if the explanation I give feels incomplete, off, or if people just do not understand, do not hesitate to doubt and ask. Improving knowledge is all about removing what we think is wrong, and accepting new stuff (that can be proven wrong too later). What i mean is do not believe blindly  ;)

Well said, English speaker or not  :) :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Heavy Duty Mick

• Scooter
Reply #77 on: March 01, 2021, 02:44:33 am
Lots of differing opinions here.

I don’t care if anyone likes or dislikes what I have done.

This bike makes me smile every time I ride it and that’s all I care about.

If other people choose to use any info that I have shared, that’s another reason to smile.

If people choose to disagree, that’s good too. If we all agreed, it’d be a very boring world.

First post for seven months.

Looking at some of the posts made since then is ... errr ... interesting.

Update on my Interceptor.
Now fitted with S&S Cycle camshaft along with their 865cc kit.

Will from Revelry Cycles/Royal Enfield Sydney loaded a map into the Powertronics ECU to suit my stock, unmodified cylinder head and throttle bodies.

He recommended that I fit a Rekluse Torq Drive clutch at the same time but being stubborn, I didn't. Less than 50km later I realised why he had said that they include the clutch as a standard part of all 865 builds.

Before the clutch went zing, i found that the whole bike is just nicer to ride. More power everywhere.

Will update when new clutch is fitted.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #78 on: March 01, 2021, 10:09:01 am
First post for seven months.

Looking at some of the posts made since then is ... errr ... interesting.

Update on my Interceptor.
Now fitted with S&S Cycle camshaft along with their 865cc kit.

Will from Revelry Cycles/Royal Enfield Sydney loaded a map into the Powertronics ECU to suit my stock, unmodified cylinder head and throttle bodies.

He recommended that I fit a Rekluse Torq Drive clutch at the same time but being stubborn, I didn't. Less than 50km later I realised why he had said that they include the clutch as a standard part of all 865 builds.

Before the clutch went zing, i found that the whole bike is just nicer to ride. More power everywhere.

Will update when new clutch is fitted.
Thanks for the update, I was wondering where you had gone. Sorry about your clutch.
I notice that Rekluse uses the term "and tunable to handle high horsepower engines". Didi you have options whthin your choice?
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #79 on: March 01, 2021, 03:35:12 pm
I think an 865 build with related upgrades would be a fabulous ride.

Where's the gripe with intelligently conceived and well executed hop ups?  I admire the commitment in time and resources.

I'm surprised that any one would object to such a build.  It's the OPs' bike, and his time/money.

One might suggest simply buying a more powerful bike at the outset but that narrow point of view ignores the entire history and intent of hot rodding.

I'd say any objections are out of envy.

Heavy Duty Mick

• Scooter
Reply #80 on: March 10, 2021, 03:13:03 am
My 865 was raced at Sydney Dragway last week by Will from Revelry Racing/Royal Enfield Sydney.

With a Rekluse Torq Drive clutch pack fitted, it held all of the available power.

While it was on the bench being re-clutched, the 15-tooth countershaft sprocket was replaced by one with 16 teeth. Along with the clutch, I recommend this change.

Horsepower and torque figures are unknown at this stage. In fact, I don't really care about those numbers.

For those that understand drag racing, it ran a pair of 12.8s, a couple of 13.0s and a 13.1-second pass. All of these passes were at 99 or 100mph.

Then I rode it home.

My 865 Interceptor is a bloody good thing. It's now easier to ride than a stocker and is a lot more fun in traffic. Most importantly, it makes me smile.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #81 on: March 10, 2021, 04:10:53 am
My 865 was raced at Sydney Dragway last week by Will from Revelry Racing/Royal Enfield Sydney.

With a Rekluse Torq Drive clutch pack fitted, it held all of the available power.

While it was on the bench being re-clutched, the 15-tooth countershaft sprocket was replaced by one with 16 teeth. Along with the clutch, I recommend this change.

Horsepower and torque figures are unknown at this stage. In fact, I don't really care about those numbers.

For those that understand drag racing, it ran a pair of 12.8s, a couple of 13.0s and a 13.1-second pass. All of these passes were at 99 or 100mph.

Then I rode it home.

My 865 Interceptor is a bloody good thing. It's now easier to ride than a stocker and is a lot more fun in traffic. Most importantly, it makes me smile.
Wicked great news !
Motorcycles are for the soul.
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #82 on: March 10, 2021, 02:46:32 pm
That's terrific news but how can a guy live without dyno read-outs? :)

wfdTamar

• Scooter
Reply #83 on: March 12, 2021, 08:26:32 am
Does anyone know how the Rekluse clutch compares to the S&S one?

Mick, are the maps Revelry did for your bike uploaded to PowerTronic (can anyone get access to them)?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 08:28:41 am by wfdTamar »
865, S&S cam, clutch, Revelry heads & 40mm throttle bodies, Powertronic with crank sensor, Verex 1.75” ceramic exhaust, Hitchcocks air delete. YSS.

Heavy Duty Mick

• Scooter
Reply #84 on: March 28, 2021, 05:54:03 am
Does anyone know how the Rekluse clutch compares to the S&S one?

Mick, are the maps Revelry did for your bike uploaded to PowerTronic (can anyone get access to them)?

S&S Cycle sell the Rekluse Clutch.

Yes, the map is uploaded to PowerTronic. Anyone who wants to pay Revelry to build their bike can have the same base map.
If you're asking will I share it? The answer is a definite no.

To complete the story, my bike needs to go back to Sydney Dyno for finetuning. Will I share that map? The answer is also no, but in capitals -- NO.

GordonH

• Scooter
Reply #85 on: March 28, 2021, 04:09:42 pm

Then I rode it home.

Brilliant!

Effektor

• Bulleteer
Reply #86 on: March 28, 2021, 07:51:13 pm
I think an 865 build with related upgrades would be a fabulous ride.

Where's the gripe with intelligently conceived and well executed hop ups?  I admire the commitment in time and resources.

I'm surprised that any one would object to such a build.  It's the OPs' bike, and his time/money.

One might suggest simply buying a more powerful bike at the outset but that narrow point of view ignores the entire history and intent of hot rodding.

I'd say any objections are out of envy.

This.

Not to mention, something like a Speed Twin is heavier, has more electronics, and is much more expensive both to buy and modify. Then in the end, you have a bike that still doesn't look as good.  8)

If you want a Speed Twin, buy one. If you don't want a Speed Twin it would be pretty foolish to buy one just because it has a few extra HP.

Marcsen

• Grease Monkey
Reply #87 on: March 28, 2021, 09:46:39 pm
Would love to do the big bore kit along with the cam and dyno tune . But sadly most RE mechanics around here can only do break pads and chain lube .

We have a HD dealer around the corner but they laughed at me when i said big bore and RE .
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 09:53:52 pm by Marcsen »
Isle of rügen, germany .
Wachau austria

BC AVIATION

• Bulleteer
Reply #88 on: March 28, 2021, 10:07:53 pm

If 650 cc is the problem...

850cc ain't the solution!

Cookie

Would love to do the big bore kit along with the cam and dyno tune . But sadly most RE mechanics around here can only do break pads and chain lube .

We have a HD dealer around the corner but they laughed at me when i said big bore and RE .

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #89 on: March 28, 2021, 10:32:52 pm

If 650 cc is the problem...

850cc ain't the solution!
Cookie
What is the solution? Seriously.