Author Topic: 1956 woods man brake hdwe needed  (Read 5308 times)

actriumph

• Scooter
on: November 19, 2019, 04:45:37 pm
Bike near done , Have nothing to hook up front brake cables with, have double cable lever set up. Not sure what I am looking for. Bottom cables hookup plus top etc  Help really needed

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 06:02:52 pm
It sounds like your talking about the brake end at the bottom of the forks? The brake cables are held in position using a lug coming from the forks, similar to the mudguard stays. If you post a photo it may help us understand a little better.

I can post a photo of a dual sided brake setup on a bike I have here if you can clarify the area your having trouble with.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 12:12:04 pm
Here's the on-line parts-book page showing the twin-cable front brake lever.

https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbook-pages/3696

If you look at the left of the attached picture just over half way down (my old '57 500 Bullet) you can just see one of the threaded cable adjusters where it sits in the alloy lower fork leg, tucked in behind the central stay for the front fender/mudguard, same on both sides.

If you set it up right, it's still a surprisingly good brake.

A.

image upload
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

actriumph

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 10:29:28 pm
It sounds like your talking about the brake end at the bottom of the forks? The brake cables are held in position using a lug coming from the forks, similar to the mudguard stays. If you post a photo it may help us understand a little better.

I can post a photo of a dual sided brake setup on a bike I have here if you can clarify the area your having trouble with.
hello it appears I am missing the ferrules on the top and the bottom a picture would be helpful. I am referencing how you tension cable at both ends.I have the slotted barrels at the top but need something else I am sure      thank you Al

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 12:13:47 pm
Here's your front brake handlebar lever assembly from Hitchccocks' web site, their part number AM/18/675

These are your brake cables as supplied with adjusters at the fork end, part number 38702 :

You can see from my photo how they fit, the adjusters just screw into a carrier, which is basically an extended stud for the mudguard stay, this, screwed into the lug on the lower fork leg. Part number 3837

The ferrules appear to be supplied with the lever kits. There's a ball-ended lever too assembly too, part no. 92731

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

actriumph

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 07:14:04 pm
thanks for your help , my cables have no fixed ends  al

actriumph

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 04:47:19 pm
thanks for your help

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 06:46:34 pm
Did you get it sorted?

A.