Author Topic: Newby needing some guidance.  (Read 4482 times)

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #30 on: October 05, 2023, 09:53:05 pm
Hi Steelaway, welcome.

I’m possibly your nearest RE neighbour. Just northwest of Worksop.
Paul W.

Steelaway

• Scooter
  • How f**king much. -- The Yorkshire war cry
Reply #31 on: October 05, 2023, 10:36:07 pm
Hi Steelaway, welcome.

I’m possibly your nearest RE neighbour. Just northwest of Worksop.

You are probably right.
We are gathering together a group of us , just three at the moment, and calling ourselves the Enfield Erberts.  :D ;D
One has just bought a 2005 500 Bullet personal import from India
We are a group of old bikers who regularly have meetings at Wizard motorcycles in the Wicker on a Saturday morning for bacon sandwiches. It's all very relaxed and very flexible.
If you want to make the trip let me know and I'll let you know when its a good day.
You might just become an Erbert.
Alex
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 10:43:32 pm by Steelaway »

Steelaway

• Scooter
Reply #32 on: October 10, 2023, 07:10:56 pm
I  fitted the new free flow exhaust system today -Its  Loud! ;D

I did buy the 10 degree kick it piece and had to shorten it but, I'm happy with the result

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #33 on: October 11, 2023, 07:01:53 pm
I think the "Exhaust past the tyre" really says "A Long-Stroke Engine lives here"! Looking GOOD!
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Steelaway

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: October 11, 2023, 07:07:55 pm
I could still cut an inch or two of the down pipe.
What do you think? Would it be better? How much shorter would you make it?
Thanks for the reply  ;)

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #35 on: October 11, 2023, 07:59:20 pm
Looks perfect to me!
Paul W.

Steelaway

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: October 11, 2023, 08:44:25 pm
Thanks guys.

I'm going to have a go at fitting the carb next. I need a throttle cable altering to work with the twist grip and carb but my mate at Wizard motorcycles has a stock of cable bits.
He should be able to modify the one supplied in the factory spare parts that came with the bike when new.
It also came with a tool kit, clutch cable and an inner tube --- love it  ;D

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #37 on: October 12, 2023, 11:16:28 am
I'd leave that exhaust as it is. Once you start adding adapters for an upswept silencer that will make the overall set-up longer, but it looks fine. Seeing short silencers on short pipes looks wrong, to me.

Getting your carb sorted is important, that free-flowing exhaust will now mean the existing carb is too lean if it's on standard jetting. Your post suggests you're going for a different carb rather than trying to tune that one up.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Steelaway

• Scooter
Reply #38 on: October 13, 2023, 05:41:47 pm
I'd leave that exhaust as it is. Once you start adding adapters for an upswept silencer that will make the overall set-up longer, but it looks fine. Seeing short silencers on short pipes looks wrong, to me.

Getting your carb sorted is important, that free-flowing exhaust will now mean the existing carb is too lean if it's on standard jetting. Your post suggests you're going for a different carb rather than trying to tune that one up.

A.

Thanks for all the input on the exhaust and I'm going to leave it for now.
The angle of the photo make it look longer- From square on it come to about the middle of the tyre.

Well I've fitted  the carb but its far from happy.
It was quite simple fitting it with a new rubber adapter stub and the spare cable was just long enough so all it needed was a smaller nipple fitting at the carb end.

When I blip the throttle its kinda running on like there is air leak but I cant imagine where from -----or to much fuel.
I did find that the pilot air jet did not have an hole through it?! -  I've took it out completely at the moment. It made a difference but its not cured it.
I have a lot of small drills but I need to find out the size of the hole or buy a jet if ---- I new the size jet I need.

Oh well onwards and upwards
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 05:52:51 pm by Steelaway »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #39 on: October 13, 2023, 07:30:52 pm
I did find that the pilot air jet did not have an hole through it?!

Ahhh - the joys & wonder of a $60 knock off part! :o  Hopefully there won't be any more blind passages in there. That $100 Wassel or PWK is looking better & better...and possibly that $300 Mikuni or Amal might too after more hiccups & time lost head scratching. Life's too short, best to get what works and just go riding. Good troubleshooting effort though!  ;D ;D ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: October 13, 2023, 07:38:17 pm
Right, time to do some research on the forum archives, there was quite a lot posted about best carburettor settings, possibly under the iron barrel (old Bullet) section, but since your Electra-X is now running unrestricted those settings will be pretty close. I think settings were being quoted for both VM and TM (flat slide) carbs.

Alternatively see if you can find what the Yamaha XT/SR500 guys are using by way of jets on a VM32, similar engine config will be on the right lines subject to a bit of tweaking. You might be able to find a bit of radiator hose to reconnect to the airbox, it will squish down a little bit with good jubilee clip.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Raymond

• Grease Monkey
Reply #41 on: October 14, 2023, 09:49:32 am
. . . when I blip the throttle its kinda running on like there is air leak but I cant imagine where from -----or too much fuel . . .

Check the throttle cable is fully free - on my 500 Iron Barrel it's easy to get the cable trapped or pinched twixt tank and frame giving that result. Even a tight curve can make the cable stick open.
In the garage:
2007 Kawasaki W800 SE Polly
1978 Yamaha XS650 Miss November
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #42 on: October 14, 2023, 12:26:07 pm

Well I've fitted  the carb but its far from happy.

When I blip the throttle its kinda running on like there is air leak

I did find that the pilot air jet did not have an hole through it?! -  I've took it out completely at the moment. It made a difference but its not cured it.
I have a lot of small drills but I need to find out the size of the hole or buy a jet if ---- I new the size jet I need.

What jet are you referring to (above) when you say "pilot air jet"?

The fuel/air Mixture Screw has no hole in it.

I can't understand how the Pilot Jet could not have holes in it??

You need to pull the Pilot Jet, get the number and order at the least one # higher & one # lower.

When you've dialed in the best # Pilot Jet, it should idle just about perfect with the fuel/air Mixture Screw turned out (CCW) right around 1 and a 1/2 turns. 

The Fuel/Air Mixture Screw is only for idle. Almost everything else is done with the Pilot Jet, the Needle Height & the Main Jet. 

If I've just told you stuff you already know, I'm sorry, but you've confused the hell out me with the "pilot air jet with no holes in it" comment.

PS: running on for longer than normal before dropping down to idle speed sounds like a hair lean on the Pilot Jet to me.

Do you hear the slide click closed when you off the throttle?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: October 14, 2023, 01:04:40 pm
I just checked the Niche Cycle website, Mikuni air jets ARE a thing, in addition to the pilot jet. If there's just an unintentional brass plug where there's supposed to be a jet then it's obviously right to flag this up as a source of woe.

https://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/categories/carburetor/mikuni-parts-by-category/jettting-tuning/air-jet.html

Both the VM32-33, which is what the Chinese copied, AND your genuine TM32-1 use an air jet from the BS30/97 range.

A.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #44 on: October 14, 2023, 06:36:37 pm
I just checked the Niche Cycle website, Mikuni air jets ARE a thing, in addition to the pilot jet. If there's just an unintentional brass plug where there's supposed to be a jet then it's obviously right to flag this up as a source of woe.

https://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/categories/carburetor/mikuni-parts-by-category/jettting-tuning/air-jet.html

Both the VM32-33, which is what the Chinese copied, AND your genuine TM32-1 use an air jet from the BS30/97 range.

A.

I didn't in any way mean to compare my TM 32 to the VM.

My comments were only asking or answering in general terms how carbs work & I think we'll get into a morass of semantics & terminology down the line.

I wish Steelaway would answer because it sounds to me that the air/fuel mixture screw is being called something else. I'd never attempt to help Steelaway dial in the VM. They're totally different animals (or fruits)  :) Just general stuff.

Anyway. I was just curious 'nuff sed -  they are apples & oranges - I'll steal away now  :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 06:42:23 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.