Author Topic: Is the new Twin closer than we think?  (Read 9929 times)

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: December 25, 2017, 02:09:33 am
I would also like to see full alloy fenders on the Interceptor.  ;)

Royal Enfield people are good people

Cheers,
Bill

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 06:15:50 pm

Looks like RE heard our gripes about short fenders. The UK site shows the version they're getting in. 8) Sure hope the ones heading to North America ain't any different. ::)
[/quote]
They don't look any different to the standard mudguards on the UK and USA websites.
True, in some of the publicity and gallery shots they have have removed the black extended sections.
I think you'll find they are the same as the 535 GT items. I have removed them on my CGT. Favouring the short mudguard look.
On the Interceptor I'd be inclined to paint them silver to match the main mudguard.
Krusty

2015 RE Continental GT - Black
2016 RE Classic 500 - Lagoon Blue

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 11:04:29 pm
It definitely looked like the GT fender.  There seem to be a lot of GT bits in both the 650s....which is not always a bad thing.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 04:34:10 am
I stuck a mudflap on the end of my Electra's front mudguard. The amount of cr*p it catches (which would otherwise pepper the engine and frame front down tube) is phenomenal. In fact it is just about worn out. Hitchcocks do a deep valanced chrome front mudguard for an Electra / G5, which I have been sorely tempted by in the past. They come in at 105 GBP before postage. Maybe this year....

part 92820 FRONT MUDGUARD, CHROME, DEEP VALANCE, with fixings

The front mudguards fitted as standard on the twins are sorry little things - hardly worthy of the name. I hope there is sufficient clearance between tyre and fork slider / shroud to fit a proper mudguard in the fullness of time.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 07:01:18 pm
IIRC at least one of the twins at the NEC show had the fender extender fitted. That makes it similar to my Thruxton, to which I had to fit an aftermarket one by Pyramid Plastics. It’s still way less effective than the full valance one on my C5, though such mudguard would look silly on the Thruxton and the Continental twin. Perhaps RE should make a less sporty version of the Twin with proper mudguards, rather like those on the old BSA A10 twin. Such a bike would suit those who ride in all weathers and, for a change, would be a triumph of function over form. What about a full rear chaincase too - another functional goodie fitted to the A10 of the fifties? Equally there should be a polished alloy blade guard version. To me the two types on offer are a bit too similar. The cooking one would be better with silencers parallel to the ground so that decent panniers could be fitted. I do hope that more practical versions are launched as well as the “me too” versions..
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 10:26:38 pm
IIRC at least one of the twins at the NEC show had the fender extender fitted. That makes it similar to my Thruxton, to which I had to fit an aftermarket one by Pyramid Plastics. It’s still way less effective than the full valance one on my C5, though such mudguard would look silly on the Thruxton and the Continental twin. Perhaps RE should make a less sporty version of the Twin with proper mudguards, rather like those on the old BSA A10 twin. Such a bike would suit those who ride in all weathers and, for a change, would be a triumph of function over form. What about a full rear chaincase too - another functional goodie fitted to the A10 of the fifties? Equally there should be a polished alloy blade guard version. To me the two types on offer are a bit too similar. The cooking one would be better with silencers parallel to the ground so that decent panniers could be fitted. I do hope that more practical versions are launched as well as the “me too” versions..

Those modifications would appeal to me, also.  But they probably wouldn't garner very many showroom sales in today's market.  ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 10:35:16 pm
There is supposed to be factory panniers available as accessories at some point in time.   ???  I would definately want some kind of rear bags. ::)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 01:28:20 am
The interceptor would look great with Pea shooters, like the Vance and Hines that come on the Bonneville.  Triumph put the up swept silencers on the Street Twin and the Pea Shooters on the Bonneville. RE puts up swept on both of theirs. Doesn't show much thought going into that.

Silencers will be one of the first changes new owners of the Interceptor will make. Maybe when I'm ready to buy one (in 2019) they'll change it. ;)
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 03:49:42 pm
Your posts indicate to me that there is a rich business coming for accessories for the Twin. Makes me wish (sort of) that I was still in that business - but no one ever calls me to say that their sidecar won't start.

As for parts - Michael Baker and Tim Hirdler at Royal Enfield of Ft. Worth are the "go to guys" as far as I am concerned. They can get most anything and are one of the few dealers with some inventory on hand
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 30, 2017, 06:01:54 am
Those modifications would appeal to me, also.  But they probably wouldn't garner very many showroom sales in today's market.  ???

I also would favour full mudguards and an enclosed chain case, and I think that a full retro twin would gather its own customer following.  After all, these are brazenly nostalgia-themed machines, and there is precedent. On the face of it, why would anyone want a motorcycle that would not have looked out of place employed by the armed forces in the late 40's? And yet the 'military' C5's seem to sell well enough.

Are there stats for the relative sales of G5 vs C5 (regular and military) vs B5 vs CGT for any territory?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 30, 2017, 01:52:49 pm
I also would favour full mudguards and an enclosed chain case, and I think that a full retro twin would gather its own customer following.  After all, these are brazenly nostalgia-themed machines, and there is precedent. On the face of it, why would anyone want a motorcycle that would not have looked out of place employed by the armed forces in the late 40's? And yet the 'military' C5's seem to sell well enough.

Are there stats for the relative sales of G5 vs C5 (regular and military) vs B5 vs CGT for any territory?

Good question.  If there are any statistics like that I haven't heard about them.  My guess is that only the RE factory and the various distributors would have that information.  It seems unlikely that they would want that information to become public, just on general business principles.  ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 03:32:49 pm
There was a piece by Maynard Hershon in MCS&L a few months ago in which he commented that the CGT sales in the USA were small, an average of two per state in one year. My guess is that the B5 is the biggest seller overall. The Indians  don't "get" the cafe racer culture (which is essentially English in origin). In my view the CGT sales peak has passed. Most who wanted a new one will have bought one by now and in the fast-paced modern world a model nearly five years old is obsolete, at least in first world markets. The UCE single will remain a niche model here, but there is a fair chance that if it lives up to expectations the twin will have much longer sales life. Essentially riders want more performance than is achievable in a  single - that is why the original Speed Twin sold so well and spawned a whole dynasty of copies. The Hinckley Triumph twin lasted 16 years in  original form and still lives on with healthy sales in l/c guise, albeit with annual refreshes.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: December 30, 2017, 05:42:09 pm
There was a piece by Maynard Hershon in MCS&L a few months ago in which he commented that the CGT sales in the USA were small, an average of two per state in one year. My guess is that the B5 is the biggest seller overall. The Indians  don't "get" the cafe racer culture (which is essentially English in origin). In my view the CGT sales peak has passed. Most who wanted a new one will have bought one by now and in the fast-paced modern world a model nearly five years old is obsolete, at least in first world markets. The UCE single will remain a niche model here, but there is a fair chance that if it lives up to expectations the twin will have much longer sales life. Essentially riders want more performance than is achievable in a  single - that is why the original Speed Twin sold so well and spawned a whole dynasty of copies. The Hinckley Triumph twin lasted 16 years in  original form and still lives on with healthy sales in l/c guise, albeit with annual refreshes.

I wish that RE would use the vastly superior CGT chassis and rolling gear as a basis for a revised Electra / G5 model.  I am pretty long legged, and trying to squeeze onto a C5 / classic  is like an exercise in origami with my legs. Not good! A 535cc based Electra would hit the spot for me, probably even more so than a twin. They could even put real mudguards and a fully closed chain case on it - after all it is Christmas.......

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 31, 2017, 11:29:29 am
Yes, an update of the B5 Bullet would be nice with the CGT frame. IMHO though it would be better as a 500cc as originally designed and would need the footrests moving forward and higher ordinary (ie not clip-on) bars fitted. They really should do something about the massively heavy front fork yokes though - they weigh a ton. Incidentally I gather that the 650cc frame is not the same as the CGT one, though it is similar.