Author Topic: 2019 Himalayan stalls whenever throttle is released completely, post mishap  (Read 18971 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
  Well , good for you that you got a new bike out of the deal . ;)  But ... my gawd ?      ::)      What does that say about the dealer mechanics ?!    Sounds like they were clueless !   How about a little trouble shooting here ?!   Maybe even  going to the trouble of hooking up a gauge maybe ?    Geeeezz....   It may have just been crap from rotten gas that was laying in that fuel system for god knows how long it sat at the dealership or in storage somewhere...
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
I think TAG said he had 400 miles on his bike so I don't think it was from crap in the tank but, you never know without looking.

Now that he said this was a stop and go in heavy traffic situation, the idea of a pressure building up in the fuel tank is a possibility.  I know my 2011 G5 has the California sealed tank system on it and if the tank gets hot because of the heat coming off of the engine at long waits at the stoplight, pressure does build up in its fuel tank. 
Every time this happens, suddenly I'll hear a sound that sounds just like the bike is letting a big fart.

It doesn't seem to bother the engines running but I guess it's possible that if the pressure valve wasn't releasing the pressure it could over-pressure the fuel injector.  I'd think that would just make it run rich but who knows?  Maybe there is some sort of shut off built into the injector?

As far as the fart sound goes, I can easily identify with that noise.  Kinda like two old farts having fun on a motorcycle, voicing their thoughts on the world around them.  ;D 8)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

TAG_Foto

• Scooter
Jim, I said to the shop owner that it seemed like she was running rich but he countered with "the O2 sensor would pick that up." I dunno. At 61 I just wanna ride! If I can resolve this, I'm good to go. I really love everything else about this bike. Thanks for weighing in Bro.
--

2022 Royal Enfield Meteor - Fireball Red
2020 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
When Itchy Boots was riding though the Middle East she didn't seem to have any problem finding someone who could work on her bike and keep it running.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
The shop owners are really good guys and they are just looking out for me. I appreciate that but I have misgivings about having a bike that no local guys can wrench on. It is a bit anxiety provoking. Still I hope all goes well. I'll see you in the streets. Ride safe Brother and thanks again.

If a gauge was hooked up between your fuel pump and your injector... your dealer could tell you if it were in fact getting the correct fuel pressure as he cranks it over and runs it.   And also, he could see if the fuel pressure held pressure when the motor was shut off.   If he lost pressure  right away ... that pressure is either going back into the tank from a faulty check valve in the pump, or through the injector.... which  should shut down completely and not leak when it's off. If it doesn't ?   Fuel drips or runs into your chamber.  Or if your injector is dripping away no matter what your throttle position is ? ...   and he thinks that  it was running rich.  Ummmmm....    Excess fuel in the chamber  CAN do that .     Crap in the fuel system ... like balls or bit's of varnish from old fuel , can tend to jam up the works and things don't always re-seat so well  .    A Narrow band 02 sensor would be overwhelmed if excess fuel was pouring into the chamber.  And seeing how and where you ride ... in the city there across the river..... your  EFI system may not even be getting into Closed loop , where the 02 sensor makes corrections.  Because you are constantly on and off the throttle in traffic  most of the time.     Closed loop systems with a narrow band sensor , usually operate in a fixed and steady throttle position.   So with the way you ride, it may not be correcting anything ... much less air and fuel. 

And just because new fuel has been added does not mean it is going to clean up that varnish.... if that is what it is.   It maybe washing it all into the fuel pump screen and beyond.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 03:06:54 am by gashousegorilla »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
  Just shooting in the dark without trouble shooting brother.    And I'd just scrap that stupid Evac system.... unless they look for it at inspection in NY ?    No such problems over here on the other side of the Arthur kill .  I LOVE the Blues !.. WBGO at 2pm everyday.   AND beer !  Maybe a little Jamesons even ?   ;D    Let me know how you make out  !  If you get that new bike by Sunday... let me know. Some of us are heading west .  Some mountainous, wilderness adventure that 9 fingers has planned deep into the wilds of PA somewhere  ?   Who cares !?   It should be fun.. .   
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 01:13:26 am by gashousegorilla »

ShortRider1

• Neophyte
Hello, new here. Just got a 2020 Himalayan, and I am at 400 miles. Had my first service already but its having the same issue with stalling you had. Did you ever get yours resolved, if so what was it?

Many thanks