Author Topic: Norton  (Read 5978 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: March 12, 2021, 02:31:45 pm
Well, that Jubilee does look rusty, err I mean rustic.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #31 on: March 12, 2021, 04:02:01 pm
That's "patina" son, patina. Very valuable. It takes many years in a garden shed to properly form. Except in Orygun.  ;D ;D ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 13, 2021, 03:08:36 pm
I wonder if you could do it with a hose pipe, could be a money making opportunity.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: March 13, 2021, 05:17:42 pm
How to make a small fortune:
1) Start with a large fortune.... :o
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: March 13, 2021, 05:19:42 pm
That's "patina" son, patina. Very valuable. It takes many years in a garden shed to properly form. Except in Orygun.  ;D ;D ;D

patina ...

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 14, 2021, 02:04:10 am
I bet the bloke who first bought that bike thought he was ar the edge of cutting technology and proud as a peacock when he rode it.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: March 14, 2021, 10:34:41 pm
Mind you the isolastics were a good idea l used that trick on BMW  clocks because they used to break up due to the pot holes, mounting them on rubber cured the problem, in fact l used it on many things even mudguards on my old T140, and battery boxes.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: December 05, 2021, 05:36:01 pm
https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/bsa-motorcycles-reveals-new-gold-star-650-2022-preview-event
"I am determined to make Norton big and successful’ says new CEO ; 12 November 2021
With a spanking new factory comes a fresh start and expectations of spanking new bikes as the world’s attention turns to what will roll out of Norton’s high-tech new Solihull factory.
CEO Robert Hentschel showed MCN around the facility stationed in the heart of the Midlands and revealed: "We are all about craftmanship and plan to build bikes that we and our customers can be proud of."
Norton’s forward-thinking boss proudly showed off the new assembly line as pre-production machines were being bolted expertly together.
The new V4 SV, a re-engineered version of ‘old’ Norton’s V4 SS, is very close to going into production with a limited run of 200 planned. Owners of the original V4 have been offered the new machine at a ‘very special price’ of £10,000, with the return of their original machine – which was found to have 35 defects – a condition of the offer.
"We don’t want to have unsafe machines in the market," explained Hentschel. And with the new V4 SV expected to cost close to £44,000, he feels this is a major show of loyalty to customers of the previous Norton company, despite new owners TVS having no legal obligation to replace or fix the original machine.
With just 200 of the SV models being built, Hentschel expects about 70 to be up for grabs once existing customers and deposit-holders have been served. "We are all about process-guided craftmanship now and I am determined to build Norton into a big and successful company."
Hentschel also plans to pull the covers off a derivative of the V4 SV at December’s Motorcycle Live as the company begin to ramp up production. MCN predicts a naked V4 streetfighter… hold on tight!
But with Euro5 compliance on new Nortons probably two years away, Single Vehicle Approval, means numbers will be fairly limited to begin with. "Once we have Euro5 in place, the doors will really open," added Hentschel. "We think we can build 8000 bikes a year here [at the new facility] and we will be ramping up production towards the end of 2023 and 2024."Hentschel also revealed that despite earlier suggestions of the Solihull base being temporary, that he sees it as a longer-term solution.
"It’s too good to be a short-term thing. We want it to be more than just a factory. We want it to be a whole Norton experience. A place where people can look around on a tour or see bikes being worked on and really embrace what Norton means."
Once the V4 SV and Commando 961 orders have been fulfilled, attention will turn to getting the Atlas models ready for production. Beyond that the Superlight 650 twin will be revisited and then new models revealed. Hentschel confirmed that an ambitious 10-year product plan has been signed off and there has already been talk of an electric Norton motorcycle.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: December 05, 2021, 10:06:19 pm
But will they suffer the Norton curse and have the business fall apart after a while like it has off and on since the early 1970's?  :-\
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: December 08, 2021, 04:26:58 am
But will they suffer the Norton curse and have the business fall apart after a while like it has off and on since the early 1970's?  :-\

More the curse of British motorcycle brands I think.

Not everyone is happy with triumph either ...

https://youtu.be/rlnsYYypEps?t=277

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: December 08, 2021, 09:08:39 am
More the curse of British motorcycle brands I think.

Not everyone is happy with triumph either ...

https://youtu.be/rlnsYYypEps?t=277

This sort of thing has kept me away from Hinkley Triumphs. In my area I know of three people who bought them new and two of three have had chronic problems with them with multiple trips back to the dealer for repairs both in and then out of warranty. One was a touring model the other was a big dualsport, the third was a Bonneville that has been trouble free for ten years. The consensus I get on other motorcycle forums is with the new Triumphs you either get a good one or a bad one. Me witnessing a two out of three ratio leaves me not considering one either new or used.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #41 on: December 08, 2021, 09:22:25 pm
This sort of thing has kept me away from Hinkley Triumphs. In my area I know of three people who bought them new and two of three have had chronic problems with them with multiple trips back to the dealer for repairs both in and then out of warranty. One was a touring model the other was a big dualsport, the third was a Bonneville that has been trouble free for ten years. The consensus I get on other motorcycle forums is with the new Triumphs you either get a good one or a bad one. Me witnessing a two out of three ratio leaves me not considering one either new or used.
I had two Hinkley built Triumph triples - both bought when they were a few years old and any teething troubles had been sorted out. Both were really well made and totally reliable - apart from the factory fitted alarm which I had to eventually remove on one.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: December 25, 2021, 11:25:25 pm
I was going to buy one once a commando, following my mate over Wroxham bridge his suddenly dropped the mains, that changed my mind forever no Norton’s for me.