Author Topic: Hitchcock's J-350 performance cam  (Read 12105 times)

Neil Samui

• Scooter
  • Koh Samui
Reply #120 on: October 17, 2023, 01:51:09 pm
Nice little update from Tiger Ness

https://youtu.be/kaUzgE9iFQk?si=wYlj5XQPyRQNzdIG

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #121 on: October 17, 2023, 03:31:46 pm
Nice video. He does make it tempting to buy that cam. Unfortunately, he perpetuates the "idle the engine to teach the ECU" myth. It is a procedure when replacing a sensor or an ECU, not a simple decat or air filter change.

davethumper350

• Scooter
Reply #122 on: October 17, 2023, 03:34:26 pm
I like his videos, I'm thinking of getting the cam for my hunter when they come back in stock this month

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #123 on: October 18, 2023, 12:16:31 am
We're basically spoilt in this day & age with all the great YouTube maintenance videos. The days of trying to work out what to do with the help of a Haynes manual - with its dodgy b&w photos - seem an age ago.
Don't worry, you can'y get Haynes motorcycle manuals now !  :)

Scooter MGee

• Scooter
Reply #124 on: March 23, 2024, 07:03:21 pm
That's exactly what I would have thought.  My experience with the DNA is that it has no detectable effect except to the noise level.  The DNA would only make a difference if the existing filter and cover were a strangle point on the engine, and the evidence we've got suggests it isn't, to any significant extent.  In other words, the DNA kit is fixing something that ain't broke.

As for ECU fudgers, really all they can do is tweak the mixture slightly, and in theory running richer should give a bit more power, but modern engine management is really pretty good and I would expect the gains to be very slight.  Especially when you realise that the FuelX is a horrible kludge that works by lying to the ECU about the engine temperature and the lambda reading.  Getting a consistent improvement is going to be quite a challenge when you are relying on fooling the ECU.

The proper way to do this would be to dump the existing ECU and start again with a new one.  There are several on the market, but you'd need to develop your own maps.  You'd probably need several hours on a dyno.

And I think it would be another waste of time.  From the available evidence, the existing camshaft is the limiting factor, it being strongly biased towards low speed torque.  We know the power drops off precipitously at higher revs, so there is clearly plenty to be gained from a more aggressive cam profile.

In other words, intake mods and ECU fudgers are tackling the wrong problem.  The major limiting factor is the valve timing and lift.  Start there for the biggest gains.  I do accept that the DNA might help when there's a new cam in the engine because the cam will increase the gas flow considerably, judging by the hike in the power curve.  Really the DNA is something to try after the new cam is installed.

I'll be adding in the cam here soon to accompany the DNA filter/box cover, Fuel X Lite and Free flowing Coffman's can. I will then be adding in the yet to be released Fuel X Pro+ to replace the Fuel X Lite. The manufacturer is claiming a 25% increase in power with the new Pro+ unit. With all that combined, and the 20 pound weight loss off the bike, it should make for a fun Hunter 350.
If I were to have been The Bandit, Sally'd have 8 kids.

Stephan

• Grease Monkey
  • Swizerland
Reply #125 on: March 25, 2024, 06:20:06 am
Don’t have the time to go through the 9 pages. Saw the vid’ from Tiger Ness yesterday and I’m very tempted.
But all claims only about the gain of hp. But how about the torque? If this performance cam a loss of torque at low rpm it doesn’t interest me anymore.
They aren’t strangers, only friends you haven’t ever met.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #126 on: March 25, 2024, 10:41:38 am
But all claims only about the gain of hp. But how about the torque? If this performance cam a loss of torque at low rpm it doesn’t interest me anymore.

See reply #21 - a dyno chart showing a slight reduction in torque below 3250rpm. Whether or not it's noticeable I wouldn't know.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 10:44:09 am by SteveThackery »
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

paulmh

• Bulleteer
Reply #127 on: March 25, 2024, 06:29:42 pm
Don’t have the time to go through the 9 pages. Saw the vid’ from Tiger Ness yesterday and I’m very tempted.

It does seem almost too good to be true but the losses at low rpm appear to minimal according to the chart.
Previous bikes:

MZ TS125 (chrome & red)
Honda CB 400F
Suzuki GS 550
Honda CBR 600FJ

Current bike: RE Classic 350 (chrome & red)

Stephan

• Grease Monkey
  • Swizerland
Reply #128 on: March 28, 2024, 06:25:35 am
See reply #21 - a dyno chart showing a slight reduction in torque below 3250rpm. Whether or not it's noticeable I wouldn't know.

Thanks ;)
They aren’t strangers, only friends you haven’t ever met.

Scooter MGee

• Scooter
Reply #129 on: March 30, 2024, 07:28:45 pm
As a side note.....it seems some think the cam cover bolts are a one time use deal. That is not true. Only the head bolts are torque-to-yield one time bolts. The cam cover bolts are re-useable. This was verified with my dealers service department.

davethumper350

• Scooter
Reply #130 on: March 30, 2024, 08:23:30 pm
This is incorrect, if you download the 350 service manual on page 150 it says in large bold type, caution rocker carrier bolts are a one time use only, DO NOT reuse

Scooter MGee

• Scooter
Reply #131 on: March 30, 2024, 08:46:27 pm
Carrier bolts....that I have not read. I was referring to folks questioning cam cover bolts. The carrier bolts makes total sense.

davethumper350

• Scooter
Reply #132 on: March 30, 2024, 08:53:15 pm
My mistake, I misread your post

Scooter MGee

• Scooter
Reply #133 on: March 31, 2024, 01:57:30 pm
Both the cam cover and cam carrier bolts are re-usable. It's the M10 head bolts that are not, which makes sense. Verified with Hitchcock's and the Classic 350 service manual. And I quote......

"M10 Cylinder bolts and washers are one time
usage only. Always use new head bolts and
washers during installation. Dispose old head
bolts suitably."

Scooter MGee

• Scooter
Reply #134 on: March 31, 2024, 02:46:49 pm
Here is another question for those that installed their cam....I have the cam TDC tool and a TDC indicator that is used in the spark plug hole. Will this suffice or do I need to get the crank lock tool?