Author Topic: Need Head ;)  (Read 1523 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: December 14, 2019, 01:26:38 am
Looks like I have most of the engine for the iron barrel. I even found a local shop that isn't afraid to work on it. What I need is a complete cylinder head. OK, I need a carb and exhaust too but I won't need those until the engine is back together. I know Hitchcock's sells them new but if anyone has a spare used one I would rather go that route.

Thanks

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 04:20:37 am
All of mine are gone.
I still have a lot of other engine parts.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 04:42:41 am
I see that there is a separate forum area called "Wanted".  Not sure whether that posting and responding here is accepted, but, ...

I don't have a spare head myself, but I see that there is a bike breaker in Wash state offering one from a 2006:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-ROYAL-ENFIELD-BULLET-ES-500-OEM-CYLINDER-HEAD-TOP-END/202803467540?hash=item2f38075514:g:o8cAAOSwCgldq01N:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!60618!US!-1

Good luck finding the parts you need. 

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 01:33:27 pm
Be aware that later models such as e-start types like that 2006 will use different external oil lines and kick start only models such as 1998.
Not a big deal, but different oil lines and banjo fitting might be required, depending on what year head it is.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 08:02:57 pm
Be aware that later models such as e-start types like that 2006 will use different external oil lines and kick start only models such as 1998.
Not a big deal, but different oil lines and banjo fitting might be required, depending on what year head it is.
Thanks! I suck at eBay. If I search eBay I find nothing but if I search Google it links to eBay where I found a new, never used head. It should be here soon. I also need a carb but I may fork out for a new one to avoid a damaged one. Today'd decision is which UCE to start on. ???

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 01:41:12 am
Thanks! I suck at eBay. If I search eBay I find nothing but if I search Google it links to eBay where I found a new, never used head. It should be here soon. I also need a carb but I may fork out for a new one to avoid a damaged one. Today'd decision is which UCE to start on. ???

Since you don't need it, I am now wondering if I shouldn't get that 2006 head as a spare for my 2005. Having a spare one all squared away would be easier to just swap out for decoking, valve work and the like, such as I'm presently faced with.

Could you provide a direct link to the other head you bought on eBay?

Before I do anything though, I think I'll be getting in touch with our North American Parts Guru Tim at Western Cycle Supply for a little chat.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 01:43:50 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 02:27:14 pm
2006 and 2005 heads are a direct swap with no changes.

After doing head work on as many iron barrel heads as we have, I have had to inform a lot of people about this subject.

The main differences are external oil pipes and banjo fittings. The kick start models have the oil pipe feed from next to the tappet chamber, and the e-start models have the feed down by the front oil pump.
You can convert between them by cutting the oil pipe below the "y" junction, and splicing on the necessary top half or bottom half, as the case may be. A short rubber hose of correct diameter, and some clamps will work nicely to splice them together. Oil pressure is low in those pipes. If you prefer to solder instead, that works too.

Early model banjos are a different size than later model banjos.
Everything else is the same, regarding the actual heads themselves.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 02:32:58 pm by ace.cafe »

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 09:49:34 pm
The bike is a 2000. the eBay ad said it would fit. I'll know when it gets here. ???

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 03:23:57 am
The bike is a 2000. the eBay ad said it would fit. I'll know when it gets here. ???
All iron barrel 500 heads will fit on all other iron barrel 500 engines, with only the oil lines/banjos possibly differing, as stated. Easily dealt with, in any case.

A 1998 and 2000 are both kickstart-only models, and they should use the same banjos and lines.