Author Topic: Lost Ace Super Fireball Big Head Resurfaces!  (Read 1444 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
on: December 05, 2019, 03:06:11 pm
Interesting story!

So, a number of years ago, we made 4 very special Big Head projects which we called Super Fireball Big Heads. These heads were done at Mondello's, and they were large ported(36mm) and fitted with our custom Ace 1.45:1 roller rockers and our custom valve spring package good for .600"lift. Very high performance head. A variation of this head was on the bike that won the 2015 British Historic Racing Series Championship for season points.

Anyway, I sent one of these heads to a gent in Australia named Guy Brown, who was one of the original principals in the Carberry V-Twin Bullet project. Guy had decided to go racing, and was building a race bike to take to the Phillip Island vintage racing bike event, which is a very prestigious event. He ordered one of these heads to put on his race machine.

Then, things took a strange and dark turn. I got word that Guy had suffered a fatal heart attack, very unexpectedly. All the race bike stuff was tied up in some sort of battle about who would get what, and apparently during that time, some things went missing out of the garage. I asked about the Big Head, and it was not there, and nobody knew anything about it. It was a dead end, and I had to consider it a lost head with a mystery. I wondered if anyone would contact me in the future for parts or info on that head, but nobody ever did.

Fast forward a number of years, and I get contacted by a gent in Tasmania who I had previous contact with on some parts deals, and he was also involved with the Carberry project, and knew Guy Brown very well. He decided that he wanted to go racing now too, and he wanted to know if I had any of my hot stuff remaining. I did, and I sold him my last remaining Ace GP head kit that converts a stock head to roller rockers with custom rocker housings, etc.. He would use that on his racer, and he researched it to be legal for his class, in his opinion.

So, now the real big twist comes!
Turns out, he had bought all of Guy Brown's bike stuff from Guy's widow, but there was no Big Head there. His plan was to finish Guy's unfinished racer, and thus he wanted a head from me, which I mentioned above. I was discussing details for the build when I got an email from him with an amazing message in it.

He had found that a relative of Guy Brown had the lost Ace Big Head in her possession since Guy's death. They somehow made contact, and she told him that she had the head STILL IN THE BOX I SHIPPED IT IN MORE THAN 5 YEARS AGO !

The missing Big Head mystery is solved, and it will eventually appear on the race tracks of Australia when the bike is complete. I am consulting very closely on the build of this bike, so I am very excited about it!

I tried to post pics, but the server wouldn't accept them. :(
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 03:20:40 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 08:24:48 pm
The MBR forum will accept them!  ;)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Citrus

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 09:12:42 am
Tis I that Tom speaks of !!
Yes - very happy that the Ace Head has surfaced. We all knew Guy had it, but his Partner and I could not find it when I purchased the Guy's race bike and other RE parts (at the same time I purchased all the remains of the Carberry manufactured parts). I have a Carberry also. If anybody wants to build up another Carberry engine - talk to me !

I will correct Tom in that I did not actually know Guy at all - but knew of him and his RE racing.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 07:28:30 pm
Of course a GP Fireball big head would also be a wonderful addition to a road-going Bullet, as I think Da Punds showed.

The 36mm inlet is only 2mm smaller than the original Redditch Fury inlet tract at 38mm/1.5" 

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Citrus

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 09:12:37 pm
The head I have is actually 38mm inlet

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 10:10:20 pm
Yes, the ones intended for racing were 38mm, and the street ones were 36mm. Each one had minor variations based on the owner's applications.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 07:04:50 pm
Exellent
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com