Author Topic: Super Meteor rocker feed  (Read 2268 times)

Mike Mason

• Scooter
on: June 19, 2020, 05:52:31 pm
I have a rebuilt engine that I have just started for the first time. I let it run for probably 2 minutes and I still have no oil coming from the banjo`s on the head. Oil is coming from the quill bolt so it`s going through the crank. I know the rocker oil feed comes from the scavenge pump but how long should I let it run for oil to circulate to the rockers?
Mike Mason

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 07:57:11 am
The twins' lubrication of crank and rockers share the feed pump, scavange is just to pump it back to the tank. There's a bypass valve in the timing chest reducing the pressure to the rocker feed. Maybe this is the cause. Otherwise an oil passage could be blocked. The lines are pretty much straight, so they're easy to trace. It's going from the back of the timing chest diagonally to the rear edge of the right cylinder. In this line the bypass is in between. Theres another bore to the other side of the crank case and of course the wto to the rocker lines' banjos.
best wishes,
Andreas

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 11:58:43 am
Yes, see if you can clean out the banjos and oil pipes and passages. I have seen banjos filled with sludge which caused blockage.

While testing for flow with the engine running, just pour a little oil on the valve springs and rockers, and that should keep everything safe while you watch for oil flow to begin. Be aware that oil flow is not much up there.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 02:52:39 pm
You can also remove the timing cover, locate the oil passage bore in the housing and then blow compressed air trough it. With the banjos removed, of course.
Andreas

Mike Mason

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 05:58:54 pm
Thanks for the helpful reply's. I`ve had a 500 Classic Bullet for years but this is my first twin. I didn`t build it either so it`s a bit of an unknown.

I will remove the feed pipes and blow them through. If I need to remove the timing cover can it be done without draining the oil? I know the oil level sits quite high in the Bullet engine and I suspect the same is true with the twin`s.
Mike Mason

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 09:31:40 pm
If you plug the oil passage from the tank to the cover/pump it is possible, without a big mess. Keep a suiting piece of rolled cardboard, or tipped wood to block it once the cover is off. The basic design there is pretty much similar to the Bullet.
Andreas

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 03:27:24 pm
Here's a picture of the oil flow on that motor.
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Mike Mason

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 06:38:09 pm
Update on the oil feed problem. I`ve had the feed pipes off and they are brand new but I blew them through anyway. Took the pressure relief valve out and blew that through with the banjos at the back of the barrels removed and there is definitely air coming through. The ball bearing was stuck half way up the spring and I`m not sure that`s right. For what it costs I will get a new one and replace it. My plan is then to ride it about 5 miles then check the oil feed at the rockers. I hope I don`t do any damage but I can`t think what else to do.
Mike Mason

Mike Mason

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 07:08:07 pm
Success! Whoever built the engine put the relief valve spring in the wrong way round. It`s supposed to be the small end in first to hold the ball bearing.I now have oil to the rockers which means I can take it out for a ride. :)
Mike Mason

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 06:57:29 pm
Be sure to let us know how it goes!  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Mike Mason

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 07:28:19 pm
Took it out for a couple of miles to check things out before taking it for an MOT and it`s smoking really badly. Thick white smoke from the exhaust so I think it is wet sumping where it`s been stood for a long time. Should I just ride it and hope it clears or take the front drain plug out to drain the sump.
Mike Mason

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 01:44:17 pm
It will generally clear itself out after a few minutes, but it doesn't hurt to drain the sump and top off the oil tank with the same amount of oil if you are concerned that it has a very large amount in the sump.

Park the bike with the crank at TDC to reduce wet sumping.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Mike Mason

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 07:43:13 pm
OK. Update time. I finally managed to get an MOT on the Super Meteor. I`ve done probably 30 odd miles on it now and the smoking is not getting any better. It`s also leaking oil from numerous places, even coming out of the exhausts! So, while I wait for my documents to come back I have stripped the heads and barrels off to have a look.

The good news is it has new +20 pistons so must have had a re-bore too. The oil ring and middle ring had the gaps aligned on both pistons so were probably letting some oil through. The head gaskets were blowing so they will be replaced. I`ve read that these engines suffered from breather problems and there are mods that you can do to solve the issue. Can anyone point me towards the relevant info. Also, how do I drain the sump? There is no plug just 2 screws underneath the front of the engine.
Mike Mason

classicrider

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 11:34:03 pm
Mine has the sump drain screw below the Oil tank Hex drain plug.