Author Topic: painting engine covers...  (Read 1640 times)

napkinsketcher

• Bulleteer
on: September 27, 2021, 06:30:19 am
If I want to make my GT 650's engine covers matte black, is it safe for me to take them off to paint them? Do I need to replace any parts inside if I do this?

I'm also not sure about the tools that I'll need.

My list so far:
- hex wrench
- buffer tool
- low grit sheet mounts
- primer
- matte black spray paint with grip
- respirator

Should I be using something else like an airbrush or am I overlooking some big obstacles? Please let me know!

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 09:15:08 am
You don't say which covers you're going to befoul, but the clutch and magneto covers have paper gaskets. Rocker cover has a rubber gasket.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 09:24:48 am
You'll need all the same things as you would for a oil change.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

napkinsketcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 09:33:07 am
You don't say which covers you're going to befoul, but the clutch and magneto covers have paper gaskets. Rocker cover has a rubber gasket.

Oh right, I'm referring to the covers that these 3rd party covers would replace:

Thanks for pointing out the gaskets I'd need...

Would I be insane to consider just sanding them down without removing them? What if I mask off the cables and the other parts and use VHT prime/coat/clear?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 09:57:32 am by napkinsketcher »

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 10:59:21 am
Oh right, I'm referring to the covers that these 3rd party covers would replace:

Would I be insane to consider just sanding them down without removing them? What if I mask off the cables and the other parts and use VHT prime/coat/clear?

I'd order the two paper gaskets (smaller sprocket cover doesn't have a gasket). Take them off at oil change time as it's a wet clutch. Powder coat would probably be the longest lived coating, but a good paint might last a wee while.
Take a look at Gremlinsteve's GT, I think he powder coated his covers...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 11:12:04 am

If you're careful (& lucky) you can reuse the gaskets at least once.

And no. Masking things like engines generally doesn't work out well. Much better to have the piece in your hands by itself. You can do it on the bike, but it's very fiddley to mask something like an engine.

And don't use "sandpaper". ScotchBrite pads are enough. Get good name-brand rattle cans for both primer & finish coat.

You don't need to buy a respirator for rattle cans. Do it outside when there's no breeze. And hang the parts so you can turn them easily to catch light. Multiple thin coats. If you don't Make runs, you don't have to fix them  :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 11:03:54 am
The best paint for these would be 2k very tough and durable but you certainly need mask.

grahamb1

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 08:25:38 pm
I am also planning to powder coat the engine covers. I wanted to get new gaskets before I take the covers off, but I can't find them listed anywhere. Even Hitchcocks don't seem to stock them.  Am I going to have to resort to making my own?

Marcsen

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 08:58:42 pm
Take them of and give them to a powder coater.  Of you spray it matte Black yourself you will need to be very carefull with your shoes.  Just a slight Touch and the matte finish is ruined.
Isle of rĂ¼gen, germany .
Wachau austria

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 01:44:34 am
I am also planning to powder coat the engine covers. I wanted to get new gaskets before I take the covers off, but I can't find them listed anywhere. Even Hitchcocks don't seem to stock them.  Am I going to have to resort to making my own?

Try Wemoto - I got my clutch-cover and valve cover gaskets from them

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 02:42:57 am

You could just buy gasket material and make your own gasket of course.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

grahamb1

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 02:25:09 pm

Thanks very much Hoiho. I've just placed an order.  As an aside, what is the general concensus on fitting new gaskets?  Dry, a smear of grease or gasket goo (hylomar etc.)?

I favour a smear of grease as it makes disassembly easier and you don't have to scrape the gasket goo off the mating surfaces before you fit a new gasket.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 09:15:39 pm
I favour a smear of grease as it makes disassembly easier and you don't have to scrape the gasket goo off the mating surfaces before you fit a new gasket.

That's what I do. I hate scraping gasket paper off...