Author Topic: to use a higher wattage Headlamp Bulb on Machismo 500  (Read 748 times)

machismo_bull07

• Scooter
on: September 19, 2021, 07:52:22 am
Hello Everyone,

I am currently using a 60/55 watt H4 Halogen bulb on my Bullet Machismo 500. The light is pretty decent for city roads where there are other sources of light is available. The real issue rises when I am driving either on highways or in areas where there is no light at all.
I was wondering if there is any way to use a 100/90w Halogen bulb.
Can I use it directly or do I need to use a relay, if so then which one? Wiring diagram?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 07:41:52 pm
The R.E. wiring tends to be on the skimpy side. 100W on a resistive load is 100/12=8.3 amps. 60/12=5 amps. That's nearly a 70% increase in current. All that is going thru those bargain basement handlebar switches. The RE alternators are generally on the order of 60W - 100W output.

The smart money here is to use less power and get more light by going to an LED "bulb". A 100W equivalent LED would draw under 2 amps. LEDs are usually 5:1 lower power draw than resistive lamps, with way less collateral heat. If you have the AC lighting, get a small bridge rectifier good for say 5 amps and 20 volts, you should be good. A "smoothing cap" on the DC side can't hurt either. All of this can be located near the AC lighting regulator, just "downstream" of it.

Hitchcock's has online manuals with wiring diagrams, or just find the right one for the Machismo on line. Post it if you need further help.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 09:03:36 pm
Hitchcocks' won't have the 500 Machismo diagram as it's not a UK model. If you download their manuals, the Electra-X (note the X) is the one to use. The tinware is different but the electrics should be the same.

+1 to the LED H4 replacement, BUT make sure you get a good one with the correct dip beam pattern for your roads, otherwise you risk blinding on-coming drivers. Also make sure any LED isn't too bulky at the back of the unit, otherwise there won't be enough room between it and the front of the speedometer. One of the wider headlamp inner rims for the later EFI/UCE Bullets might help here.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...