Author Topic: Bullet for a Himalayan  (Read 1183 times)

Riffhead

• I'm only happy when I'm riding.
  • Scooter
  • It doesn't matter, we're all going to die anyway.
on: August 24, 2021, 08:10:42 am
Hi guys and girls, I'm seriously considering trading in my bullet standard 2019 for a Himalayan. I was just checking the servicing because I do about 20000kms a year. Can anyone confirm oil and filter change is every 10000 kms once run in? And before anyone suggests I keep both, alas I can't afford it. Any other comments or opinions would be welcome. I ride 64 kms a day all year to get to work and back, the rest is small off-road stuff and up and down mountain roads ( bitume) with my wife on the back. I don't care about top speed and acceleration as you can imagine being a Bullet owner. I never use the motorway.

Cheers all.

cupoftee

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 09:25:02 am
I have both, I don't think the mileage for oil changes is what you state.
It only hold 1.6 ltrs.
So with a gearbox chewing up the oil, it will go off quick.
It's simple to change, no different to the bullet. I will change mine every 2000 miles. Nice bike, not the torque of the bullet but with a cam conversion, who knows? Might be better than the bullet.

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 08:08:08 pm
Well, before I bought my Himalayan I had a 2020 Bullet for a couple of month.
I loved the engine and its power delivery.
The Himalayan is noticeably milder, has less punch but a much more comfortable seating position for me.

It is also better equipped for the ever worsening roads in Germany.  ;D

For me the Himalayan is the better all-round bike.

Differences in the oil change intervals would not be a decision criterion for me….

Regards
Toni

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 07:56:26 am
It is also better equipped for the ever worsening roads in Germany.  ;D

For me the Himalayan is the better all-round bike.

In one of my videos, I leave the dirt road and comment as I get onto the bitumen, "be prepared for the road to get worse"... which it did. Many of our bitumen roads are shameful.

And you're right, the Himalayan is a brilliant all-rounder.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 12:52:09 pm
Observe as a Himalayan encounters a herd of Bullets here: https://imgur.com/gallery/tXmhDk2

Actually, I could well see how a Himi might be a great choice where mixed-surface or no-surface riding is called for. I don't do much if any off-road or trail riding nowadays. But when I had to I'd much rather have wrestled a Himalayan through the muck than some Beemer Behemoth "adventure bike" á la Charlie & Ewan, a lumbering Africa Twin, or the like. But then, the original Bullets really made their bones back in the day excelling as trials machines in those International Six Day Trials Enduro torture tests, so even 60+ years on I expect my old "Iron Belly" could still ford a smallish stream or clamber up an occasional foot path if need be. After all, their successes back in the day in the rough is likely the reason the newly-independent Indians ordered so many of the wee beasts for their troops: https://speedtracktales.com/2013/12/20/internationally-famous-royal-enfield-at-the-isdt-1948-1953/
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 02:06:38 pm
@Oldpharth:

"be prepared for the road to get worse"... which it did. Many of our bitumen roads are shameful.“

:D :D :D

This is unfortunately exactly what is happening in Germany  :(

@Bilgemaster:

Yeah, when you see where and for what the Bullets are used in India, there is no doubt that they are capable. But all is easier with a Himalayan nowadays  ;D

Toni

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 02:45:09 pm
Observe as a Himalayan encounters a herd of Bullets here: https://imgur.com/gallery/tXmhDk2

Actually, I could well see how a Himi might be a great choice where mixed-surface or no-surface riding is called for. I don't do much if any off-road or trail riding nowadays. But when I had to I'd much rather have wrestled a Himalayan through the muck than some Beemer Behemoth "adventure bike" á la Charlie & Ewan, a lumbering Africa Twin, or the like. But then, the original Bullets really made their bones back in the day excelling as trials machines in those International Six Day Trials Enduro torture tests, so even 60+ years on I expect my old "Iron Belly" could still ford a smallish stream or clamber up an occasional foot path if need be. After all, their successes back in the day in the rough is likely the reason the newly-independent Indians ordered so many of the wee beasts for their troops: https://speedtracktales.com/2013/12/20/internationally-famous-royal-enfield-at-the-isdt-1948-1953/

FWIW I've seen a few modern Bullets, or I should clarify and say relatively modern, modified for Trials use under AHRMA's like design rule. They gave a good account of themselves and looked like a lot of fun to ride.