Author Topic: Very strange starting problem  (Read 722 times)

Cafecat27

• Scooter
on: August 15, 2021, 11:57:45 pm
My new continental gt 650 (1200 miles) just wouldn't start 2 days ago.full fuel, battery, all systems seemed fine. Turned bike over with lapses in between start attempts of 30-45 seconds, did not even try to fire. Went old school to check spark and pulled left cylinder plug wire inserted skinny screwdriver,held close to cylinder head and as I hit start button, nice spark and motor tried to fire. Replaced plug wire and bike started right up. Ran for 15 min. and tried restarting and it fired right up. Today tried cold start and same symptoms, only tried twice and went to screwdriver method again. Didn't try to start but replaced plug wire and it fired right up! 60 years old here and have not incountered this stange problem before. Hoping for some insight as this is my daily driver. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 04:07:27 am
This is the forum for the 535 single CGT. You might have better luck on the 650 page. But sounds like the famous enfield quality plug cap. It's not a bad idea to change them for a NGK one.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E