Author Topic: Piston Ring Placement  (Read 7261 times)

NJ Riff Raff

• Scooter
on: September 04, 2013, 08:11:39 am
I've just taken my piston rings off and want to make sure they were on the right way. The ring with the slightly tapered off (sloping down) outer edge was in the middle position with the taper on the top side. I've come across a couple of videos that I think are saying the ring with the tapered off outer edge should be the top ring. If so does the other ring have a top and bottom side? There are no markings or they have worn away. I want to make sure I put them back on correctly. The bottom oil control ring has a worn away marking that says GOE so I assume that is the top of that ring. If the other two rings were on incorrectly could that contribute to excessive carbon build up in a relatively short amount of time?
2008 Royal Enfield Military Iron Barrel

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:00:22 pm
http://www.totalseal.com/TechPage.aspx

see if that helps, its has diagrams so should be easier than trying to figure out it out by explaining it

NJ Riff Raff

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 01:50:15 pm
Thanks for that. I will read through it. Perhaps this photo will clear things up. This is how they were installed.

Now this video seems to contradict that installation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt0U7IgXxGo

I would assume a 350 would be the same as a 500 in terms of the rings but I guess wrong to assume

same guy then contradicts himself at 2:00 min in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gbiVlgmXVM&list=PLoJWYG0njom9yogiNINhjtKzJlO0mkuF5

I think that "GOE" is just a manufacture stamp? Not an indication of which way up the ring should be?

I honestly can't tell any difference from the bottom oil control ring in terms of which way should be facing up.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:28:04 pm by NJ Riff Raff »

NJ Riff Raff

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 02:40:05 pm
To confuse things even more let's go to the shop manual.

64. Piston ring (scraper) - exploded view bottom ring - not indicating an up or down side
65. Piston ring (compression) lower taper - exploded view middle ring - indicating that on the bottom side there is a taper. On what was installed as my top ring I do feel a slight lip on the outer underside assuming that the small worn circle is the top mark. Could this be the manual's definition of taper?
66. Piston ring (compression) top, chrome - exploded view top ring- indicating there is a chrome top side. Could the manual mean that the actual taper (my installed middle ring) shows up as a chrome ring?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 03:57:01 am
The top compression ring will either have a silver top side, or it will have a small chamfer or shoulder on the inside circumference which will go on the top side. If there is no chamfer or shoulder, and the edge is barrel-faced or flat, then it can go either side up.
The second compression ring with the tapered edge will go with the wider part of the tapered edge on the bottom side. So that it "scrapes" the oil down the bore, because half of the job of the second ring is oil control.
The oil control ring can go either side up. They are not directional.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

NJ Riff Raff

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 03:44:16 pm
Thank you ACE. Based on your description I think they were installed correctly. I just want to rule out anything as I put things back together. I had a lot of wet gristly carbon build up after very low miles. Roughly 1500. It must just be an overly rich mixture.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 04:47:40 pm by NJ Riff Raff »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 02:00:17 am
Yes, it looks too rich, but I have seen much worse than that before.
Not sure where the oily residue is coming from, but it does look a bit oily to me too. Could be coming down the valve guides, maybe.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

dbmgassociates@gmail.com

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 02:57:41 pm
hi NJ Riff  - your image showing the piston rings top and middle is wrong. check Ace note, the top will have crome plate on the side and some time it may have a small dot and camper on top of the inside edge but need not to be there.

the second ring will be black and may have the GOE marking which is the brand marking and TOP marking. this go to send ring.

the image shown is not correct one. if you press the both rings the top rings will have more tension (brittle) than 2nd one.

hope this help

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 07:09:00 pm
The original poster might have lost interest after eight years!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

allanfox

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 10:55:08 am
The original poster might have lost interest after eight years!

A.

Thanks' Adrian I was just about to comment about checking ring gaps, but guess he may have put it back together by now!!!  ;D