Author Topic: Got to ride one today!  (Read 2787 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: June 18, 2014, 06:37:26 am
Wow! Who knew that 35cc or 7% more displacement could make that much difference? It was smoother and more powerful than my C5. Modern suspension and Brembo brakes makes this bike feel generations ahead of those that came before it! That said, I could not take the racer tuck riding position for very long. Also, one of the things I like best about my C5 is its distinctly "vintage" feel. I could have a GT as a second bike but not as my only one. Just my humble opinion.

If you are in SoCal, the dealer in San Bernardino will let you take one for a ride. Great fun!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 10:19:50 pm
I went out to San Berdoo today to try one out, too. I can't say too much for it's power, but I was impressed with the suspension. It rides smoother than my Goose. It handled the crap Interstate stutter bumps and Bott's Dots very well. The handling is lighter and quicker than the Goose or my late G5. The bike felt lighter, too.
The vibration was definitely at an acceptable level for me.
The seat was a bit hard but would probably be OK for a long run. It is a bit taller than the Goose seat.
The brakes were more than adequate.
The tach was a nice addon. Took me a second to get used to the KMH speedo though!
I didn't get to take it up to Wrightwood like I wanted to. The road into Wrightwood, Lone Pine, was always my dyno test spot for the G5. It would maintain 55 going up the hill there until we got into the tight stuff. Alas, Art didn't want me to put that many miles on it, so I didn't get to try that part.
As for the power, this bike will stay up with other Enfields, and a group of old Britbikes, nothing wrong with that, but it would be woefully inadequate to keep up with the guys I've been riding with lately. I have to flog my Goose, and me, to keep with them. I would have to get a head job and some bump sticks from Ace to be fast enough!
Overall, I really liked the bike. I wish it had been here last year.   
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:28:02 pm
Bare, so are you saying that you would have bought the GT instead of your V7 if it had been available?
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

hyperhad

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 03:32:29 am
I was considering the V7 as well as the GT.  The GT won, and was over 3K less to boot.  Love it!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 06:16:29 pm
I was considering the V7 as well as the GT.  The GT won, and was over 3K less to boot.  Love it!

Back when I was waiting for the GT, I didn't even know about the V7. After I got tired of waiting, April/May last year, I starting shopping around. I was seriously looking at the Kawasaki 300, but just didn't want another Oriental bike. I just happened to run across an ad for the Guzzi. It looked pretty good to me so I went down and test rode one and bought it.
Can't say I'm sorry I did, but I do miss the 70 mpg!
The GT is 4K less than the V7Racer! In fact, thinking about it, this is the most expensive bike I've ever owned!
I obviously don't go for the high end stuff.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com