Author Topic: Craig's List Idiots  (Read 5453 times)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
on: October 04, 2019, 02:00:47 am
Ok, so the missus lost interest in accompanying me in the sidecar. Since I seriously need the room in my garage/shop I posted the following on Craig's List:
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/d/albuquerque-2018-bonnie-t100-sidecar/6964669037.html

Without exception, even though I'm gonna take a big loss with the bike or combination for WELL under what they're worth, I'm getting just what I expected. F*cking idiots who cannot or will not READ AND UNDERSTAND that this a fantastic deal. People just don't do their homework anymore.  >:( I even thoughtfully provided NADA and Kelly Blue Book average prices for the area.
So now I'm trying to post in Cycle Trader hoping to get some intelligent responses, but even though I have a good draft, I'll be damned if I can find the correct link to submit the ad.
I'm also going to recommend to our hosts to modify the Forum "Wanted" to "Wanted/For Sale" so those of us in the Colonies can further benefit from their beautiful move taking over the Forums. Even if they don't, HAT'S OFF to Hitchcocks for all they've done, and will continue to do!  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 02:56:41 pm
If you want to advertise a complete motorcycle or outfit for sale on Hitchcocks' forum, they're already happy for you to do so, it's just the attempted selling of parts they don't like.

Should you post a bike for sale on H's main forum, it would obviously help if you could let the bulk of their readership know on which side of the Atlantic Ocean the bike is!  ;)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 08:51:56 pm
Seems like a seller is lucky to get any worthwhile responses on CL these days.  It's mainly scams and bots.  Bottom feeding, low-ballers are the norm on CL, gotta expect it.

Friends tell me that folks are going over to other online sales sites, like Facebook marketplace, OfferUp, LetGo, especially now that CL has started charging for certain ads.

For a valuable, late model rig like you are selling, I personally would would want to be on Ebay and Cycle Trader and if I placed a CL ad at all, It would only be to point people to my Ebay or Cycle Trader ad, and I wouldn't give my phone number in the CL ad. 

If it was me, I'd also avoid including any and all language rationalizing and defending my price, on the premise that if I acknowledge ANY argument about the pricing, it just opens the floor for discussion.  If folks are in the market, they already know what your rig is worth.  If they aren't knowledgable, ... you've already done the research and there's the price.  In my opinion, being argumentative, (Like, for example, the title you used on this post) just invites negative attention.

When I'm selling, I don't argue and I don't explain, I apologize, and say "If it was up to ME, I would definitely take your offer, but my wife won't let me take less".  ( and I'm single)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 09:17:42 pm
The voices in my closet told me to contact you. Will you take about 950 bucks in Canadian nickels? They're not rolled or anything. I keep them in the trunk of my Subaru for better traction in winter, but I need the room now for my collection of 'Catcher in the Rye' paperbacks and used chewing gum. My landlady won't let me stack it in the hallway under the stairs no more. Says it attracts bugs and the other tenants are complaining. I'm pretty sure it's that guy in 5C, who's been sent by the CIA to monitor my flouride intake. Nobody eats THAT much microwave popcorn. Also, could you deliver the bike to East Bumfiddle, North Dakota and teach me to ride it? Does it get good gas mileage? Have you tried mixing the gas with boiled urine?

Please reply with the subject line "Zardoz" so I know it's really you.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:03:35 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 10:15:44 pm
Subject Line: Zardoz
I'll take your Canadian Nickels and raise you 50 Pesetas. Already have a "Catcher in the Rye" t-shirt so the books are out.
I've been to Bumfiddle. The Titty Bars suck. The dancers do not.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:19:14 pm by heloego »
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 01:36:50 am
FWIW, I paid $12,000.00 for my rig; 2012 Triumph Scrambler / DMC sidecar in 2016.

I consider myself lucky to have found a quality rig right here in my own city. What are the odds of that? As it turned out, It needed a lower control arm bushing, new shock, and tire for the sidecar itself. I am still so thrilled with the deal that I actually believe it was divinely ordained! 8)

For the right person, it is a steal. And as you know, it is even a good price for just the bike.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 03:44:53 pm

Without exception, even though I'm gonna take a big loss with the bike or combination for WELL under what they're worth, I'm getting just what I expected. F*cking idiots who cannot or will not READ AND UNDERSTAND that this a fantastic deal. People just don't do their homework anymore.  >:( I even thoughtfully provided NADA and Kelly Blue Book average prices for the area.

This is exACTly why I will not come anywhere NEAR Craigslist (or Facebook, for that matter) for ANY reason. I don't want ANYbody who is on Craigslist to even know I exist! Idiots is not the word for the populace today. The word is nowhere near sufficient. What I learned about Craigslist since it really got wound up in the late '90s should scare ANYbody.

I learned my lesson in 1998 (with Cycle Trader) when I made the ridiculous decision to sell my totally unique, totally created by me and every single piece kissed and hugged to death by me, over a period of two years that I spent EVERY spare time moment & dollar on, 1980 80 inch FXS (bought stock in 1985). I spent more money on just the engine and transmission alone in '89 and '90 than I have spent on the Enfield in 10 years inCLUDing the purchase price. I put right in the ad: "This is NOT your First Bike. Do Not Even Call Me".

Yes, I stupidly put my phone number in the ad. I only got email at home in '97 and wasn't sure of myself with it yet. I had had it at work for a long time, but wasn't really "wired in" yet.

Nobody would even believe! some of the calls I got and I just shut down the ad after two or three days and would not even answer the calls (I monitor ALL phone calls beFORE I pick up the phone).
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 04:00:30 pm
The voices in my closet told me to contact you. Will you take about 950 bucks in Canadian nickels? They're not rolled or anything. I keep them in the trunk of my Subaru for better traction in winter, but I need the room now for my collection of 'Catcher in the Rye' paperbacks and used chewing gum. My landlady won't let me stack it in the hallway under the stairs no more. Says it attracts bugs and the other tenants are complaining. I'm pretty sure it's that guy in 5C, who's been sent by the CIA to monitor my flouride intake. Nobody eats THAT much microwave popcorn. Also, could you deliver the bike to East Bumfiddle, North Dakota and teach me to ride it? Does it get good gas mileage? Have you tried mixing the gas with boiled urine?

Please reply with the subject line "Zardoz" so I know it's really you.

This is why we keep you here :) :) :) :) :)  ;D ;D ;D

.....and nobody now gets the Zardoz reference (unless they dive for "The Google Machine") except us dinosaurs who know a thesaurus is Not one  ;) ;)

Is Bumfiddle near Bumf*ck? ??? ???
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 04:24:13 pm
Subject Line: Zardoz

Already have a "Catcher in the Rye" t-shirt so the books are out.
I've been to Bumfiddle. The Titty Bars suck. The dancers do not.

I didn't get to the concert ;), but a friend got me the T-Shirt so I can lie about it now  :) (like the millions who were at Woodstock :o :o ).

Anybody in the market for a pink on black Titties and Beer concert T-Shirt?