Author Topic: Adding a meter  (Read 1983 times)

rlacsamana3118

• Neophyte
on: December 04, 2020, 03:29:22 am
My wife hates that it doesn't have a clock.

I found a bolt on meter that has a clock on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NY72ZR3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_dRAYFbQA9TYJ2

I want it to turn on when the bike is on, what is the best way to do this? I will also be adding heated grips.

I was thinking the headlight wires? How difficult is it to get to those?

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 03:39:03 am
If you just need the time get one of those  stem-nut mounted clocks from EBay or Hitchocks.  Easy as pie and they look fine.  Yep, I got one.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 08:46:26 am
Welcome aboard! I'm with Jack Straw in thinking a tidy stem-mounted analog clock might be a lot nicer looking, more in keeping with the bike's "retro" vibe, and less trouble to mount besides. You can see our Forum host Hitchcocks' British made offerings for the Interceptor or GT here: https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/s.nl?ext=F&sc=1&category=&search=Stem%20nut%20clock%20interceptor, and their prices are pretty much in line with eBay's.

That Amazon doodad is just way too "digital" for me...OK, it's ÜGLY with an umlaut. There. I said it. I think it looks like a medical monitor for dialysis or something. It's also kinda pricey. My hunch is you'd find the same or better on eBay direct from the Far East for maybe half what Jeff Bezos is asking.

Although I do rather like the look of those stem-mounted clocks, I have rather purposefully never got one for my Bullet. I simply don't want  the time ALL the time in the saddle. Instead, I've got a sort of semi-goofy baroque "steampunk" sort of wind-up pocket watch in my Belstaff riding jacket's breast pocket attached to a longish chain fob secured to the pocket, so I can easily and securely whip it out when needed. It's been sturdy, keeps remarkably good time and cost me something ridiculous like $4 delivered off eBay a few years back.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 01:15:01 pm
Mounted with velcro. The passenger can see it, too.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 02:43:52 pm
"OK, it's ÜGLY with an umlaut"........now that's funny Bilgemaster.  I'm gonna steal that one. 8)

Toontje

• Grand Gearhead
  • Barcelona, Spain
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 03:01:09 pm
I want it to turn on when the bike is on, what is the best way to do this? I will also be adding heated grips.
You can use the accessory connector inside the headlight, but..... If you switch it off when the bike is off, are you going to set the clock every time you switch your contact switch on?
Ice Queen for sale in Spain (Was: Riding my Ice Queen through Spain).