Author Topic: Simply...tell me why I should purchase a Himalayan (or Interceptor)  (Read 5107 times)

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
I am partial to the forrest green 500 bullet.  :)
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
I concur with Classic 500 choice if staying on paved roads (it doesn't have problems with gravel, etc but just not fun).  Your biggest problem will be people stopping and telling you how they always wanted one from their teenage days.  And your jaw will hurt from grinning.  Get the Classic not Bullet.

I'm kinda facing the Himalayan choice myself.  I'm clearing the lot. Just gave the track Mustang to a niece and will be giving the track Integra to the nephew in a week.  Since overnight trips are no longer a life choice, I don't need a 600lb Norge so it's going too (cheap).  There's an old guy in the neighborhood that wants my Classic 500 with SB/GG  hotrod engine.  However, it's not road-ready (needs assembly) so if he really wants to pay my high price it's going.  The BMW will probably be parted out unless I have another relative that wants it (needs a clutch). So I'm looking at day riders.  I considered the Suzuki 650 Burgman (gag) but it's almost as heavy as the Norge.  MG has a V9 which is cheap ($5,500) and light (439lbs).  And RE has the Himalayan, also cheap and light (if I was going to get a Classic I'd keep the one I have).  I'm leaning V9 but reading about Himalayan at CMW is tempting me.

Why not the RE 650s?  The engine proportions don't work for me.  I like seeing more cylinder and less crankcase.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

jhonric

• Neophyte
Interceptor is a well built, fun, comfortable bike..

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 05:31:06 am by jhonric »

Meloman

• Scooter
I like them both. I’m 73 and have owned 58 bikes. I went to the dealer with plans to buy the Himalayan but came home with the Interceptor 650.
I love it. Classic style, plenty of power, great handling, easy to service, 60+ mpg, low cost, what’s not to love ?
I’ll still get a Himalayan next year to keep it company.😀

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
I like both, but actually own two "Iron Barrel" Bullets. Both the Himalayan & Interceptor come with center stands, a rarity nowadays. An engineered-in center stand says to me that on-the-road or routine maintenance is expected to be done by the owner, a mindset I appreciate. I'm not a fan of relying upon any mechanical mishaps to occur within pushing distance of the dealership within normal working hours. The Interceptor's 40+ HP, 6 speed motor seems a compelling feature unless you're looking for a trail bike, in which case I'd get one of the many very nice, LIGHT, 230cc electric start HonYamKawSuki's out there. The interceptor seems the best choice to me; there's a skid plate and wonderful dual-sport tires available if you feel compelled to spend much time on dirt back roads. Put on a low 2-into-one exhaust, some nice bags & liberate your inner Steve McQueen!
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

redliontwo

• Neophyte
If you want a best comfort in a bike and not looking for more speed greater than 90 Kmph smoothly, then Himalayan is great. Interceptor is a blend of power & performance and a heavy weight sports champion.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Would you rather have a Jeep or a Mustang? Both good at different things.

Mjollnir

• Scooter
  • Ex Ducati, now 2018 Himalayan and 2019 Interceptor
I am 75, and have both:the Himalayan is ridden on single track (back) tarmac roads and green lanes which are not too muddy, until I fit enduro tyres when the Pirellis wear out. The Interceptor is for taking out my wife on the pillion, on A and B class roads ( no motorways!) so you really need both if have an understanding wife who also likes riding.