Author Topic: C5 Classic...Normal Engine Noise?  (Read 11753 times)

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
on: March 29, 2021, 10:29:04 am
As per the title, do you think this tappet noise is normal?

https://youtu.be/zeBzQWCCZF8

grey pegasus

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 11:34:41 am
You can not say „yes“ or „no“ as every C5 engine sounds different.  I had a lot of trouble with mine as it also made some noise from the cylinder head and I investigated what was wrong. Finally, I was  able to fix it.

Did your sound appear suddenly, slowly or was it already there when the engine was new?

My first impression was that the hydraulic lifters may have a problem, but such problems do not appear frequently. It is more common that your engine has an oil-related problem or the decrompression automatic is blocked.  There are several reasons why such a sound can be created in an UCE and you should perform the big exorcism. If you need more information, do not hesitate to ask.
Sometimes it is better to give the impression of incompetence by remaining silent than to finally dispel any doubts about it by talking
(Abraham Lincoln)

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 11:55:12 am
Does sound a bit tappety.
Have you ever had the cam backlash checked or adjusted?
Off route, recalculate?

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 12:05:31 pm
Does sound a bit tappety.
Have you ever had the cam backlash checked or adjusted?

No.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 01:14:28 pm
My first thought is that it is the compression release causing that........I had mine removed. But normally that sound disappears as revs rise, so not sure. Does seem a bit noisier than mine. Beautiful bike BTW.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 09:31:28 am
could it be a failed hydraulic lifter, ie not charged with oil due to failure or a blocked fill hole?
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

MannP

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 09:46:43 am
Sounds very similar to my 2018 C5 with 4800 miles on it. I have done regular oil changes etc and haven't worried about the noise. I haven't checked or adjusted the cam backlash either.

I have never owned a bike which hasn't sounded tappety, as least the tappets aren't closed!

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 03:59:35 am
Louder than my 2012 C5, which has more "Tic Tic" than I'd prefer, but not as loud as my C5 when the auto-decomp cam failed.  That was an UNRELENTING, Loud, metallic TANK TANK TANK sound like gremlins banging away on the innards with a small ball peen hammer.

Seems like the noise let up briefly in the video, which makes me think it might be lifter related.   I'd be concerned that a particle from break-in has gotten into one of my hydraulic lifters.  I would try a solvent flush and oil change.

If that didn't remediate the issue, I'd be tempted to pull the tank and pull off the rocker covers to make sure the rocker bearing blocks were fastened down tight.  While I had the covers off, I might run the engine briefly to see if I could hear or feel something that let me diagnose the issue better.  I'd be ready to mop up oil that spilled or got thrown around.

fressko

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 08:58:51 am
Kind of sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUrOIk7Fkq0

but I think it needs expert ear to catch what it really is. Yours has warranty though...when it is fixed please share here with us what it was, thanks.

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 09:45:00 am
My fairly new (890kms) C5 makes a cacophony of sounds from the head region, but there is no distinct tappety noise. More a farting mechanical noise with no engine load, graduating into an exhaust noise under load.

I'm away from home at the moment, but when I get back I will have a go at making an audio recording of my engine for comparison.

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 09:56:10 am
Thanks for the pointers and feedback.
The bike is being picked up shortly and taken back to the dealer's for investigation. They're also putting in a warranty claim for corrosion on the exhaust at the same time.

That's on top of the new tank I got, plus a handful of other issues, most of which I've fixed myself.  :(

TrianglePete

• Bulleteer
  • U.S. Spec RE parts & THE FIN intake.
Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 05:10:02 pm
Louder than my 2012 C5, which has more "Tic Tic" than I'd prefer, but not as loud as my C5 when the auto-decomp cam failed.  That was an UNRELENTING, Loud, metallic TANK TANK TANK sound like gremlins banging away on the innards with a small ball peen hammer.

Seems like the noise let up briefly in the video, which makes me think it might be lifter related.   I'd be concerned that a particle from break-in has gotten into one of my hydraulic lifters.  I would try a solvent flush and oil change.

If that didn't remediate the issue, I'd be tempted to pull the tank and pull off the rocker covers to make sure the rocker bearing blocks were fastened down tight.  While I had the covers off, I might run the engine briefly to see if I could hear or feel something that let me diagnose the issue better.  I'd be ready to mop up oil that spilled or got thrown around.

fressko

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 09:03:27 pm
dayum Martin, you really got the monday build lol.
Mine is on the way from dealer, I hope is a wednesday model, but im s***ting bricks tbh.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 10:27:07 pm
As per the title, do you think this tappet noise is normal?

https://youtu.be/zeBzQWCCZF8

Sometimes the oil has to get around to the tap-py part of the motor.
  As Haggis suggested, you might want to check if there is extra slop in the cam eccentric setting.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 11:13:28 pm
They all make some noise to a degree but yours sounds more pronounced than I would consider normal. Here's a video link from India resolving a very similar sound. The video is in Hindi, but anyone can easily follow along regardless of any language barrier. The solution was installing new hydraulic valve lifters. It's not a difficult job, but it's somewhat involved and time consuming. I can't imagine a dealer would look forward to such a job, even under warrantee. An unscrupulous dealer would likely just replace half your oil with STP.

Of course bad lifters are just one possible cause for such noises, a marginal oil pump can cause similar symptoms.  A mechanics stethoscope would be very handy in pinpointing the source. I hope you get it resolved soon so you can enjoy the riding season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9d8hgqqlEY