Author Topic: Riding New York State's Finger Lakes  (Read 216 times)

SteveJB

• Scooter
on: July 05, 2024, 03:45:27 pm
This is my first year on my J350 Classic, as well as being on this forum. So I thought I'd share some of the rides I like around here. There are 11 Finger Lakes and I'll post pics from each as I make way thru them. So, in no particular order, starting with a ride around Keuka Lake.

I started out by riding to Penn Yan located on the northern tip of the lake.The first shot is from Red Jacket Park in Penn Yan. I took Route 54 South, following the east side of the lake. Just south of the park, I took a left and went up the hillside to get a pic of one of the many vineyards in the region. I also took a pic of the road leading up the hill. This is just to show the type of roads I'm usually riding. Then I headed south to Hammondsport. Unfortunately, I didn’t see any safe places to pull over for pics. The lake is mostly private homes and there’s little to no shoulder on these roads.

When I got to the south end of the lake, I stopped at Champlin Beach for a couple of shots. One of these pics is of a model of Glenn Curtiss’ flying machine. While I was in Hammondsport, I made a brief stop at the Glenn H. Curtiss Museum. Glenn was a local boy who was an early entrepreneur in aviation and motorcycling. I have an historic plaque picture and the sign and aircraft at the entrance.

After that I followed 54A up the west side of the lake and back to Penn Yan. I stopped at a ‘scenic overlook’ to get one last shot of the lake.

I had taken the long way (thru Naples at the south end of Canandaigua Lake) to start the ride so, altogether this was just under 100 miles.  I have to admit, this is the most comfortable bike I've ridden without replacing the stock seat. I've been really impressed.

SteveJB

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2024, 03:47:11 pm
More pics from Keuka.

SteveJB

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2024, 03:47:59 pm
And just one more.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2024, 07:45:03 pm
NICE! Lots of greenery and that air museum looks interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_Model_H

The Curtiss Model H was a family of classes of early long-range flying boats, the first two of which were developed directly on commission in the United States in response to the £10,000 prize challenge issued in 1913 by the London newspaper, the Daily Mail, for the first non-stop aerial crossing of the Atlantic. As the first aircraft having transatlantic range and cargo-carrying capacity, it became the grandfather development leading to early international commercial air travel, and by extension, to the modern world of commercial aviation. The last widely produced class, the Model H-12, was retrospectively designated Model 6 by Curtiss' company in the 1930s, and various classes have variants with suffixed letters indicating differences.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

SteveJB

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2024, 12:53:39 pm
The group I used to ride with all went to the museum a few years ago. Fascinating stuff. Several of his motorcycles are on display, including this 1906 V8 he used to set the land speed record. He was hailed as the Fastest Man Alive at 136 mph (218 kph) in 1907.