Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2480 times)

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
on: August 06, 2020, 09:10:20 pm
Hi, I'm new here.
I picked up a non-running 2005 Electra X a fortnight ago. New plug, carb stripped and it runs. It won't tick over but it runs. It's got a Hitchcock Stage 1 fitted.
As a new Amal costs the same as an ultrasonic bath, I'm waiting for cleaning fluid to arrive!
I've fitted alloy bars and engine plates (saving over 1kg) and am now looking at what else I can replace.
Alloy rims would be nice but I priced that up at way over £300
A fork brace and fibre front mudguard would be good but I saw one site selling the brace for £250  :o considering Chinese manufacturing sells these at £30, I'll see what's compatible  ;D
No one supplies aluminum silencers?!
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 01:05:01 am
I think SuperTrapp in the USA sell alumin(i)um silencers, er... ah yes. Not cheap, and shipping to sunny Cleethorpes (+ import duty) won't make it any cheaper!

A.

https://supertrapp.com/catalog/product/view/id/11167/s/supertrapp-412-17500-4-inch-universal-aluminum-racing-series-muffler-1-75in-id-1-75in-core-8-disc/category/2/
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 11:42:26 am
Yeah, SuperTrapp make nice things but after tax, shipping (and tax on shipping!) it's never cost effective  :(

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 02:12:41 pm
For those of us in the UK importing from the USA, Australia or India, 20% VAT on item value AND shipping for anything over £39, + 2.5% import duty. Don't know what it will be from the EU from January next year.

These aren't alloy, they're stainless steel, but they're not too heavy. That one is on one of Hitchcocks' 20° pipe bends.

I got mine from Germany via ebay for my Electra-X street tracker,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auspuff-Forge-B-fur-Royal-Enfield-Bullet-Edelstahl-Schalldampfer/401857412250

but if you look you can get what looks like the very same one cheaper from China, free shipping, but then HMRC's little invoice might wipe out any any savings! The listing says chrome, but if you read the description further down it says it IS stainless.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Chrome-Exhaust-Muffler-Silencer-Pipe-Slip-On-37-45mm-For-Harley-Honda/123985432601

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 02:45:59 pm
Stainless has it's applications but steel silencers are just nowhere near as light as carbon fibre, aluminum or titanium.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 07:51:13 pm
True, but this an obsolete old Royal Enfield we're talking about!  ;D The O/D of the exhaust pipe is 44.5mm or 1.75" so scouring the aftermarket should find you something. Try Demon Tweaks in the UK?

If you want to lose a few more pounds off the bike, does it still have the stock lean burn exhaust pipe one it? (Clue: these weigh a ton and might be slightly waisted where they leave the exhaust port on the cylinder head.) Hitchcocks' sell plain chrome exhaust pipes without the double skin or enviro-gubbins clogging things up. 

The electric start, if still fitted, is another chunk of weight you might want to ditch, then you can run with a smaller battery. Older (pre-Electra-X) Bullets can be persuaded to run with out a battery at all, just a small capacitor, but sadly the electrics on the Electra-X won't let you do that.

A.

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 12:31:42 am
I'm much more likely to ditch the kickstarter than the electric!
I'm scouring eBay for 2nd hand silencers (and fork braces... and plastic  chainguards...)
It came with the Hitchcock Stage 1, so the downpipe has already been swapped.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 06:11:27 am
I installed a Lithium battery on my bud's bike, and it works well and saved as much weight
or more than the starter.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 04:55:05 pm
Thanks for that link to the plastic  8)

I have a lithium battery on it, the weight difference is enormous  ;D

MikeBE

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 04:27:58 pm
On my bobber built I saved quite a bit of weight, but that wasn't my main objective.

- omit front fender/brace
- lighter rear fender (thinner/shorter)
- removed airbox, battery box, toolbox and brackets
- single seat
- removed subframe for fender
- smal alloy petrol tank
- lithium battery with custom made bracket, mounted to gearbox
- used some stainless pipes and a db-killer instead of a muffler

But whatever you do, it will remain a heavy bike, especially for its power... For me this is a cruiser bike to enjoy riding. If I want to get somewhere I will take another bike or even a electric bicycle  ;)

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 09:28:49 pm
I read about a trials model only weighing 137kg, which is very impressive!

My Electra is purely for nipping around on. My nitrous 1500 GoldWing is for general riding  ;D

As a town bike, weight is paramount - stop/starts devour fuel.
My airbox has gone along with the toolboxes.
Fiberglass rear guard is going on with a different rear light set up.
Swapping the tank bolts & nuts for aluminum saved over 150g  ;D
I'm getting an aluminum silencer priced up
I'm very tempted to get the Hitchcock aluminum front mudguard and brackets but I'm not happy about the price.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 04:47:32 pm
A paradox here is that the lean-burn exhaust is heavy, but the original lean-burn set up, if your Electra-X still has it, is also very frugal with fuel.

A.

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 02:24:35 pm
A smattering of aluminium, fiberglass, titanium and plastic (I 3D printed the rear indicator mounts) and it's getting better.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 03:10:19 pm
Looking sharp! I've long thought those AVLs might be the prettiest of the Bullet breed and thereby worth the oft-reported added level of difficulty where finding parts is concerned.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.