Author Topic: Multi Curve TCI  (Read 1128 times)

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
on: August 16, 2023, 12:21:42 pm
On the bikes with the multi curve TCI, with a third input from the carb throttle position sensor, does anyone know what effect the TPS has on ignition timing?

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2023, 12:33:51 pm
The Electra-X and other AVL Bullets never had carbs with TPS unless you have retro-fitted a later carburettor.

Did you mean to post this in the UCE section?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2023, 01:41:50 pm
Well, wasn't sure where to post, as my bike us a UCE with a carb conversion.
I though there might be more knowledge about TCIs here, given the EFI bikes don't use them.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 02:06:36 pm
I believe Richard211 has experience with these, maybe a DM?
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023, 04:07:37 pm
 The multicurve TCI unit varies the ignition timing based on engine rpm and throttle position. It also retards the ignition timing when cranking / kicking the engine over to prevent kickbacks, which can damage the sprag clutch. If you wanted to use a different carburetor without the TPS, an option is to maybe try out the green TCI unit from the Electra X. Another aftermarket option for the TCI unit used on the Electra X was the GS125 Suzuki TCI, I have not personally used the GS125 Suzuki TCI, but maybe Adrian might be able to provide some insight.

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2023, 10:33:09 pm
Thanks Richard.
So with the TPS disconnected, can we assume the ignition curve would default to something like the green TCI?
Whilst using the UCAL carb I've experimented with leaving the TPS disconnected and  in all honesty I can't tell the difference.

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 12:24:30 am
With the TPS disconnected, the TCI defaults to the base map with the retarded ignition timing. When the engine is under load is where the difference is noticable, since the engine starts knocking, especially on steep inclines.