Author Topic: I’m impulsive so I bought an RE  (Read 10200 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #60 on: February 05, 2021, 08:30:04 pm
This is exactly why I raise my eyebrows when I sentences along the line of "it's good enough for 10's of thousands of RE owners"
Just because thousands of owners have fettled the appalling engineering on these machines doesn't mean they're good bikes  ::) ???
Not good bikes at all. I agree. But the only bikes, if your looking for a bit of British history with a fairly reliable parts network.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #61 on: February 05, 2021, 08:54:03 pm
Not good bikes at all. I agree. But the only bikes, if your looking for a bit of British history with a fairly reliable parts network.
I saw a pretty little bike to run around town on. If I'd done any research I'd have kept looking  ;D
I love how it looks and sounds. I don't love the maintenance schedule or random exploding internals  :-\
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

Mid Mod

• Bulleteer
Reply #62 on: February 05, 2021, 10:25:39 pm
You guys.......

I guess I better sell it :-[

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #63 on: February 06, 2021, 01:31:40 am
I saw a pretty little bike to run around town on. If I'd done any research I'd have kept looking  ;D
I love how it looks and sounds. I don't love the maintenance schedule or random exploding internals  :-\
Then its not for you.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: February 06, 2021, 03:34:23 am
Could be worse. Could be a Ural.  :D
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #65 on: February 06, 2021, 11:16:53 am
You guys.......

I guess I better sell it :-[

Well, that's disappointing. I'd have advised pressing on and just getting her sorted out. There's hardly any expense involved if you just fix the issues at hand--merely a couple of afternoons wrenching. But Bullets and wrenching aren't for everyone. So what would you be asking for it? If the price is right I'm sure someone up there by you would take on a fine looking light fixer-upper like that dripping with blingy aftermarket snoodlets.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #66 on: February 06, 2021, 12:48:22 pm
Owning an older Royal Enfield is a bit like buying a bag of Pistachios and expecting them to provide a big lunch..they’re a pastime rather than a meal.  ;D
Paul W.

Mid Mod

• Bulleteer
Reply #67 on: February 06, 2021, 06:40:06 pm
Don’t worry, I’m not deterred. I just don’t know why these guys are pooping at my party.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #68 on: February 06, 2021, 07:01:50 pm
I don't think there's any real party-pooping intended, but there can be a bit more work involved in getting the bike to the state where it's a reliable ride, depending on the individual build quality, or even what a previous owner might have done to it. There are some absolute peaches out there which just ran great out of the crate with proper breaking-in, most were OK, but a few lemons slipped through as well.

Hopefully yours will be fine, anything which does crop up can usually be fixed.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Mid Mod

• Bulleteer
Reply #69 on: February 06, 2021, 07:27:03 pm
This bike has 22,000 miles on it and has been dealer serviced since new. I talked to the owner of the shop before buying it. He said it was a good one. He also said I was paying top dollar but it’s still considerably less than a comparable BSA or Ariel etc... and the spares supply is fantastic. But the point is that it’s ran well for a good while and now has a new 535 piston. It didn’t get this far being a lemon.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #70 on: February 06, 2021, 08:04:09 pm
I have done a helluva lot of Bullet modding over the years, and IMO it is all very much worth it when you get it all done.

I will admit that they need more improvements than a factory bike should, but I consider it to be a "kit" that just needs finishing to be made right.

When a Bullet is optimized, it is one of the most enjoyable and unique riding experiences available.

I will never forget what it feels like to ride a Bullet.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Black fingernail

• Bulleteer
Reply #71 on: February 06, 2021, 08:28:55 pm
Ok, these bikes are a bit quirky and archaic, that is precisely why we love 'em!
It looks and sounds like you have the makings of a good 'un. Just ride it for a bit before drilling holes, or changing things too much.
I'm heading for two years ownership of mine, after a few teething troubles, she ran very reliably, unfortunately the p.o. was not much good at maintenance and repair, so a few bodges needed to be put right. I have altered many things, mostly cosmetic, but, the main thing was the seat, I could not live with the sprung saddle, so I have fitted a custom dual seat. The bits that don't seem to age well, are anything made of rubber, (don't replace them with Indian made), and the wiring, it seems to get brittle, and the fittings are a bit nasty.
I love commuting, and generally playing around the bay on mine in nice weather.
This is an old pic, she has altered a bit since, due to lockdown and artistic licence.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:32:13 pm by Black fingernail »
It's metal, it doesn't understand!

Enfield 500 Deluxe 1998
Benelli 500 LS 1979
Velosolex 3500S 1968
Saab 9-3 Convertible, 2008
not forgetting SWMBO's Z3 2002

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: February 06, 2021, 08:58:55 pm
I was brought up on BSAs. Unfortunately they have been out if production so long that it’s very difficult to find a reasonably priced one that hasn’t been butchered. I’d say most are over priced. The good thing about Royal Enfields is that they remained in production for much longer, the prices are lower and spares prices are very readily available.

But you do have to “sort them out”. Which for me is part of the satisfaction of owning one, as per my reference to Pistachio nuts.
Paul W.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #73 on: February 06, 2021, 09:12:00 pm
Unless, of course, the sorting out has already been done for you. Sounds like Mid Mod has got(ten) himself one of the better ones, in which case, enjoy!  ;)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: February 06, 2021, 10:14:51 pm
I hope he has got a good one. As you will have read here and elsewhere, my 350 had two fairly major problems and was likely to have been the reason I became the fifth owner when it had only done a total of 3,000 miles.
Paul W.