Author Topic: Hagon 2810 shocks?  (Read 9195 times)

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 01:42:38 am
OK...I get it...Hagons..the best shock ever made!  Go get 'em!

Cookie

They didn't have other versions, besides spring choices. Girlings were Girlings.

And if you inquire, you can select the springs for your application with the order.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 01:54:07 am
Dude, you are a very abrasive personality. I have watched you shit all over several threads. Get control of yourself. People are just posting information.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 03:07:36 am
Stuart Fillingham put YSS on his Interceptor, and loves them. But even he admits the price is out of line for many people. $720 plus shipping to the US is too rich for my blood for suspension upgrades. But he notes the YSS are far better than even the Ohlins (for the RE, anyway) as the Ohlins use downgraded parts for their setup. In any event, if you're interested, Fillingham's video is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8VLql66Y3Y and the link to the shocks is at https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/royal_enfield/interceptor_650/19/picture/rear_yss_g-series_twin_shocks_black_edition

I think I'll just ride and forget about changing things just for change sake.

PS I am going to change the headlamp tho.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 05:12:37 am
Ok.....are the $100 shocks good or not good?

Either way...it's OK....I've said both!

You don't have to read my posts...do whatever you want!  Be happy!

Cookie

Dude, you are a very abrasive personality. I have watched you shit all over several threads. Get control of yourself. People are just posting information.

08crd

• Bulleteer
  • Western Australia
Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 07:16:18 am
I'm with gizzo and twocoolgliders, replacement shocks are for two people, competition racers and people with too much money and want to waste it.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 08:20:33 am
No I haven't tried these.  Yes, you asked for an opinion so you're gonna get it!

First a couple questions for you.....

1) What deficiencies are you concerned about with the OEM shocks?
2) If you are concerned about deficiencies,  how do you expect those Hagon shocks to solve the issue?

Now, keep in mind I have only read the MFGR blurb on these Hagon shocks....

First concern...

they are CHEAP....as in low cost!  I would be concerned as to the quality of a shock which is offered at such a budget price.  Typical aftermarket shocks from a "name" brand and of good reputation will cost  almost an order of magnitude more $$$  ($600 to $1200 +)

Next concern...

They only have 3 pre-load positions....usually for aftermarket shocks, we look for infinite pre-load adjustment in order to get the sag numbers correct and precise..

Next concern...

They come with a "standard" spring rate  (I think...may be wrong)....usually aftermarket shocks offer a range of spring rates so you can choose the best, based on bike weight, riding style, rider weight etc.

Next concern...

the Hagon shocks are not length adjustable.....you will find that the RE is not symmetrical, and one shock needs to be slight longer than the other....or else you will have to compress one shock slightly in order to install the second shock....not a big issue

Next concern...

While they do say these shocks are "adjustable" damping.....they are really weird in that there is only one adjustment which changes both compression damping as well as rebound damping, at the same time!!.....this makes no sense to me.  Rebound damping is pretty much determined "in the shop" and it "is what it is" and there is really no further adjustment after that.   Compression damping is determined while riding "on the road" and can be adjusted for ride quality, and riding style and road conditions....

It is common to have the rebound set one way, and the compression set a different way.....combining them seems not-too-good an idea......You can get the rebound where you want it...but then the compression is what it is...no further compression setting possible...

Really the stock shocks are very, very good (IMHO)  I would not change them without a very good reason to do so.

(yes, I changed mine.....my own reason is very questionable, and the fancy shocks I installed, feel remarkably just the same as the OEM shocks)  I had issues with the front end....If you go messing with the front end, you do need adjustability in the rear to get things "matched" properly.  If I hadn't change the forks, I would certainly not changed the rear shocks!

Do what you want...be happy!!

Cookie
Jeez, Cookie! From someone who’s had such suspension issues, I’d take your comments on the OEM shocks as glowing praise! I’m being serious, not smart arsed here. And as far as them not being symmetrical, that’s something I was unaware of. Handy to know.
Cheers, Steve
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 09:29:09 am
I'm with gizzo and twocoolgliders, replacement shocks are for two people, competition racers and people with too much money and want to waste it.

Oh, I didn't say that... I said the oem shocks on this bike are good enough for me. Some bikes, the oem gear is rubbish and needs replacing, even from new. Yamaha MT07, anyone?

And shocks don't last forever. Sometimes replacement is better than rebuilding.
But I get your drift.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 06, 2020, 11:06:51 am
Yes...the OEM rear shocks are very nice!  (IMHO) I never had an issue with the rears.

by not symmetrical...I mean the frame and the swing arm...not the shocks themselves....at least on my bike.

the distance between the shock mount centers is slightly "off"....once side compared to the other...

This is not an issue IMHO....it just is.  I adjusted the overall length of my shocks to accommodate this.

With non-length-adjustable shocks....you will have to install the "long" side first, then apply a slight compression in order to get the second shock to line up.....no biggie..

Cookie

Jeez, Cookie! From someone who’s had such suspension issues, I’d take your comments on the OEM shocks as glowing praise! I’m being serious, not smart arsed here. And as far as them not being symmetrical, that’s something I was unaware of. Handy to know.
Cheers, Steve

Marcsen

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: August 06, 2020, 10:10:08 pm
iam happy with the OEM shocks . the only reason i would change them is when i want to lower the rear for a more " slammed" look .
Isle of rügen, germany .
Wachau austria

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 07, 2020, 02:04:17 am
Was just looking at the TEC front spring kit and TEC rear shocks.  They have more adjustability and seem like a good option. 

greentrumpet

• Bulleteer
  • UK, 2019 Interceptor
Reply #25 on: August 07, 2020, 02:00:22 pm
Have seen a few negative reports on tec shocks. Fillingham put YSS on his 650 and rates them highly, he put Hagons on his T120 a while back and rated them highly also. For such a new bike we have quite a choice, if you go to Hagon's website (not the clearest perhaps) there is a phone number and they will make shocks for your weight. OK they may not have a great range of adjustment.
I bought some of their all stainless shrouded shocks for my chrome Interceptor ( I like the 1970 Series 2 look), they made them 20mm shorter (29" inside leg). I wanted them for the looks, I'm in my 60s and pleasantly surprised that a m/c with less power than any I've had in 30 years is so enjoyable. The damping is noticeably better so I have a YSS kit for the front as this is shown up by the Hagons.
I'm sure there are better still but I don't need them, they look great, work well and are inexpensive.

t552

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: August 07, 2020, 09:18:48 pm
Buying parts. Whatever bike has 2 criteria.
1. Do I want it?
2. Can I afford it?
Need does not come into it!

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: August 07, 2020, 10:39:59 pm
[
Bagonne
https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/tec-shocks-experience.745994/

quote author=Bagonne link=topic=28962.msg333536#msg333536 date=1596762257]
Was just looking at the TEC front spring kit and TEC rear shocks.  They have more adjustability and seem like a good option.
[/quote]
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #28 on: August 08, 2020, 12:58:39 am
Have seen a few negative reports on tec shocks. Fillingham put YSS on his 650 and rates them highly, he put Hagons on his T120 a while back and rated them highly also. For such a new bike we have quite a choice, if you go to Hagon's website (not the clearest perhaps) there is a phone number and they will make shocks for your weight. OK they may not have a great range of adjustment.
I bought some of their all stainless shrouded shocks for my chrome Interceptor ( I like the 1970 Series 2 look), they made them 20mm shorter (29" inside leg). I wanted them for the looks, I'm in my 60s and pleasantly surprised that a m/c with less power than any I've had in 30 years is so enjoyable. The damping is noticeably better so I have a YSS kit for the front as this is shown up by the Hagons.
I'm sure there are better still but I don't need them, they look great, work well and are inexpensive.

Right there with you! In my 60s with 29" inseam. I also think reservoirs don't belong on these bikes. I waded through the Hagon website until I got lost and fed up. Can you tell the exact shock/shroud combo you bought? Thanks!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #29 on: August 08, 2020, 01:12:23 am
Right there with you! In my 60s with 29" inseam. I also think reservoirs don't belong on these bikes. I waded through the Hagon website until I got lost and fed up. Can you tell the exact shock/shroud combo you bought? Thanks!
If you call them, they will ask you all the key questions and configure up what you need.
Home of the Fireball 535 !