Author Topic: Hagon 2810 shocks?  (Read 9029 times)

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
on: August 04, 2020, 08:56:00 pm
Thinking of replacing stock rear suspension with the Hagon 2810 shocks from our forum sponsor (https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/40090?ref_page=Interceptor%20650).

Anyone tried these? Opinions welcomed.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 01:21:53 am
No I haven't tried these.  Yes, you asked for an opinion so you're gonna get it!

First a couple questions for you.....

1) What deficiencies are you concerned about with the OEM shocks?
2) If you are concerned about deficiencies,  how do you expect those Hagon shocks to solve the issue?

Now, keep in mind I have only read the MFGR blurb on these Hagon shocks....

First concern...

they are CHEAP....as in low cost!  I would be concerned as to the quality of a shock which is offered at such a budget price.  Typical aftermarket shocks from a "name" brand and of good reputation will cost  almost an order of magnitude more $$$  ($600 to $1200 +)

Next concern...

They only have 3 pre-load positions....usually for aftermarket shocks, we look for infinite pre-load adjustment in order to get the sag numbers correct and precise..

Next concern...

They come with a "standard" spring rate  (I think...may be wrong)....usually aftermarket shocks offer a range of spring rates so you can choose the best, based on bike weight, riding style, rider weight etc.

Next concern...

the Hagon shocks are not length adjustable.....you will find that the RE is not symmetrical, and one shock needs to be slight longer than the other....or else you will have to compress one shock slightly in order to install the second shock....not a big issue

Next concern...

While they do say these shocks are "adjustable" damping.....they are really weird in that there is only one adjustment which changes both compression damping as well as rebound damping, at the same time!!.....this makes no sense to me.  Rebound damping is pretty much determined "in the shop" and it "is what it is" and there is really no further adjustment after that.   Compression damping is determined while riding "on the road" and can be adjusted for ride quality, and riding style and road conditions....

It is common to have the rebound set one way, and the compression set a different way.....combining them seems not-too-good an idea......You can get the rebound where you want it...but then the compression is what it is...no further compression setting possible...

Really the stock shocks are very, very good (IMHO)  I would not change them without a very good reason to do so.

(yes, I changed mine.....my own reason is very questionable, and the fancy shocks I installed, feel remarkably just the same as the OEM shocks)  I had issues with the front end....If you go messing with the front end, you do need adjustability in the rear to get things "matched" properly.  If I hadn't change the forks, I would certainly not changed the rear shocks!

Do what you want...be happy!!

Cookie

Thinking of replacing stock rear suspension with the Hagon 2810 shocks from our forum sponsor (https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/40090?ref_page=Interceptor%20650).

Anyone tried these? Opinions welcomed.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 03:25:35 am

they are CHEAP....as in low cost!  I would be concerned as to the quality of a shock which is offered at such a budget price.  Typical aftermarket shocks from a "name" brand and of good reputation will cost  almost an order of magnitude more $$$  ($600 to $1200 +)

Outside of the USA, Hagon is a "Name Brand" and well regarded manufacturer of suspension for classic bikes. I think (correct me if I'm wrong), Hagon took over making the Girling product line, same as Ikon did for Koni bike suspension products here in Australia. Probably another "Brand Name" that goes unnoticed in the US. Swap "Cheap" with "Inexpensive" and you're closer to the mark. Good simple easy to adjust shocks for the average street rider.

But like Cookie said, the stock shocks are pretty good and the Hagons might not be an improvement over what you already have.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 03:27:51 am by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 04:08:33 am
OK   then buy 'em!

Cookie

Outside of the USA, Hagon is a "Name Brand" and well regarded manufacturer of suspension for classic bikes. I think (correct me if I'm wrong), Hagon took over making the Girling product line, same as Ikon did for Koni bike suspension products here in Australia. Probably another "Brand Name" that goes unnoticed in the US. Swap "Cheap" with "Inexpensive" and you're closer to the mark. Good simple easy to adjust shocks for the average street rider.

But like Cookie said, the stock shocks are pretty good and the Hagons might not be an improvement over what you already have.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 04:11:24 am
OK   then buy 'em!

Cookie

Don't need 'em. The stock ones get the job done for me. My old Ducati has Konis. Bought 'em.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 09:53:15 am
My point exactly!

Cookie

Don't need 'em. The stock ones get the job done for me..

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 02:10:34 pm
Thanks for the unvarnished opinions - exactly why I asked! Glad to hear you're both in agreement that the gains from changing out shocks are marginal at best. To answer Cookie's question of "why change at all?" I was thinking aftermarket might give me some more adjustments when I take a passenger and/or fit the RE with racks for the Givi panniers I also might get. But right now I have neither a passenger nor the panniers, so in the spirit of "leave well enough alone" I'll do just that. I have my stock shocks set at +2 from the bottom, and that setting seems to work OK for me.

Good. You all saved me some cash, at least for a while  :P
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

t552

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 11:33:20 pm
Check out YSSl
Plus I  can supply at a discount.
3 levels. Eco. Z Series and G Top. depending on level of adjustment you need.
PM me if I can help.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:35:37 pm by t552 »

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 12:19:32 am
YSS makes a nice looking fully adjustable shock for the RE.... INT....reasonably priced.

This would have been my first choice, but my suspension guy works with K Tech so I got K Tech (considerably more costly!)

My thought is that if you are going aftermarket shocks for an "upgrade" why not go fully adjustable...?

Cookie

Check out YSSl
Plus I  can supply at a discount.
3 levels. Eco. Z Series and G Top. depending on level of adjustment you need.
PM me if I can help.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 01:04:56 am
Yes, they are basically the old Girling shocks. Alf Hagon bought Girling a long time ago.
They are essentially the "period correct" sporting shocks for any 1960s/70s vintage Brit bikes.

As for performance, they were good enough for Surtees and  Hailwood.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 01:17:20 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 01:27:07 am
My point exactly!

Cookie

I don't think that was your point. The way I read your post, the point you made was that as you had never heard of Hagon (no surprise) and they were inexpensive, you seemed to doubt their quality or functionality. That seems a bit assumptious but OK.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 01:27:53 am
And I am sure they used the $100 version !!??

Cookie

As for performance, they were good enough for Surtees and  Hailwood.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 01:30:12 am

Cookie

Haha! That's the booster plug version.!

I'll show myself out.....
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 01:36:53 am

Cookie
They didn't have other versions, besides spring choices. Girlings were Girlings.

And if you inquire, you can select the springs for your application with the order. They are available from the US importer, but I don't know the importer's name.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 01:42:14 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 01:40:38 am
My point was; to quote you..."Don't need 'em. The stock ones get the job done for me."

I've heard of Hagon....but so what?

Yes at $100  I doubt their quality...maybe the bargain of the century...who knows?

As for functionality.....they don't have it compared to YSS or K TECH.   Combining compression damping with rebound damping, with a single control to set both at the same time is a stupid idea!  I outlined my concerns with Hagon shocks (the model in question).....If you disagree with those concerns explain why...

So I will ask again.....what is the deficiency of the stock shocks? And if so , how will the Hagon solve that?

If a guy said, I can't get the sag correct on the OEM shocks....or if a guys said they bottom out all the time, or a guy said the rebound is too soft and bouncy...then I would see the need for a solution.....another type of shock.

But nobody said any of that yet...

Hey if you like Hagon shocks...go get 'em......be happy!

Cookie

I don't think that was your point. The way I read your post, the point you made was that as you had never heard of Hagon (no surprise) and they were inexpensive, you seemed to doubt their quality or functionality. That seems a bit assumptious but OK.