Author Topic: Cataract blues  (Read 1051 times)

StefArmstg

• Bulleteer
on: August 11, 2022, 11:58:36 pm
Just had double cataract surgery.  My vision had been deteriorating for months. A pair of 15 year old glasses improved my vision enough to keep riding while I waited for my surgery date.

The surgeon told me my vision would probably improve enough to drive without glasses. Yay!  I could wear Stadium goggles again.

But no.  It did improve from my previous coke bottle prescription, but just enough for cautious trips to the grocery store.  New glasses are at least 6 weeks away.

It's August, blue skies, 90s (F) east of the foothills, 70s in the mountains.  Summer in Colorado is motorcycle heaven.  Fall can turn into winter within a month.

I'm already re-reading Peter Egan through crappy drug store reading glasses.  It's going to be a long 6 weeks.
650 Interceptor
Past favorites:
HD DuoGlide,  Norton Commando
Yamaha SR500,  Cagiva Elefant
HD Sportster,  RE Bullet

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 01:58:39 am
Things will improve. My brother had cataract surgery on his worst eye, then was in a panic because he couldn't see crystal clear after a couple days and assumed he'd been blinded. About 2 weeks out the swelling receded a bit, he began to see better than he had in years, he scheduled the second eye.  :o 8)

"Time, distance & shielding solve a multitude of ills..." Nuclear plant worker aphorism... ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 02:35:39 am
Part of getting older I suppose.   

I currently have very limited vision in my right eye due to hemorrhaging which I am told was most likely set off by the severe coughing attacks I had with Covid 19 (not a direct result of the Covid, a result of the coughing but whatever) so my peripheral vision to the right is very poor, I have to ride with extreme care.  Apparently it will clear eventually.

StefArmstg

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 06:38:58 am
I didn't think I'd get old.   I figured I'd be dead by fifty the way I rode motorcycles.  I blame club racing for reaching old age.   It slowed me down on the street. 

I came very close to killing myself on the Commando.  Pulled out to pass 6 cars on a two lane road.  The second car in line pulled out to past the first car just before I passed him.  Forced me off the road at 80mph, telephone poles on one side, and a barbed wire fence on the other.  Pulled back on to the road about 100 yards later still going 55.  (There's no other place on that stretch of road that I could have done that.)

Shortly after that, I bought an RD400 and went racing.  Much safer.
650 Interceptor
Past favorites:
HD Sportster,  RE Bullet

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 12:50:24 pm
May your eyes continue to heal and get you back on your bike soon! Practically My whole life has been about riding motorcycles and any down time or winter layover is hard on me, workshop time is what gets me through that, or watching videos or reading books about them, I'm big fan of Peter Egan by the way and have his books too! I used to look so forward to his column every month in the magazines. The old saying was "don't ride faster than your angels can fly" I must have had some fast angels because somehow I made it past age 50 too! Anyway hang in there, stay positive and roll with the punches. Indian Summer in the Rockies can be some of the the best riding of the year!

StefArmstg

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 03:35:43 pm
Thanks for the encouraging words.  I can't think of too many things worse than losing your sight.

The little devil on my shoulder isn't very loud with a stock Interceptor.  I think it may have gone into a coma while I had the Bullet.

The little angel does occasionally fall off in the twisties, though.
650 Interceptor
Past favorites:
HD Sportster,  RE Bullet

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 04:28:25 am
Stef,
 Has the surgery changed color perception? I have minor cataracts and may go for the surgery next year.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

StefArmstg

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 06:44:50 pm
It did.  The flame on my gas stove is now purple rather than blue.  I threw away the first eggs I cracked because whites were also yellow.  Indoors, colors look washed out.  That may change.  Things are already improving. 

What I never thought of, and don't recall anyone ever mentioning, was the artificial lens don't have the ability to change focus.  Even if I won't need glasses to drive, I'll need glasses with progressive lens for anything close.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 07:28:04 pm by StefArmstg »
650 Interceptor
Past favorites:
HD Sportster,  RE Bullet

StefArmstg

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 07:12:45 pm
I was told I'd still need glasses for reading.  But I needed progressives for reading before, so didn't consider what that actually meant.
650 Interceptor
Past favorites:
HD Sportster,  RE Bullet

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 12:22:03 am
They are generally set up "farsighted" for driving & general looking about, maybe 20-30 feet to infinity. Glasses below that. What did you end up with? Is distance clear yet?
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

StefArmstg

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 07:23:58 am
I was down to 20/40 in February with my one year old prescription.  I think it's better than that now.  Long distance is still a little blurry, but I can read the larger road signs.  Driving to the store is no problem.  I just need to take my reading glasses with me.

I'm already happy with the result.  If your brother's experience was typical, and it continues to improve over the next week, I'll be very happy.
650 Interceptor
Past favorites:
HD Sportster,  RE Bullet

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2022, 03:23:38 pm
Thanks for the info.
 My doctor has left most of that data out.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2022, 03:48:42 pm
Be sure you read and understand EVERYthing you sign before cararact surgery. If your eye sight is worse or you have continuous problems AFTER the surgery that you didn't have before, everything you sign protects the doctor & the corporation he works for. Not you.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 09:54:04 am
Be sure you read and understand EVERYthing you sign before cararact surgery. If your eye sight is worse or you have continuous problems AFTER the surgery that you didn't have before, everything you sign protects the doctor & the corporation he works for. Not you.

This is what passes for medical care in America today, pharmaceuticals too. When I was a builder my contracts should have read: If your new house falls down don't come crying to me, it's not my fault. And possibly: Your results may vary. I recently had a root canal and crown done, my little local dental empire had every disclaimer in the book for the work done! ::)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 16, 2022, 10:12:35 am
Their Professional Indemnity insurance company would make them do that.

Of course their insurance company is not worried about customers suing they can out spend most people in court.

What those clauses are for is if the customer has insurance and their insurance company sues.