Author Topic: wayward wire connector on 2009 500 Bullet?  (Read 786 times)

wyomingpat

• Neophyte
on: January 30, 2022, 09:19:03 pm
Hi I purchased a 2009 Bullet with 3000 miles on it but it had been unused until I acquired it of a guy who got it in a job lot. It needed stuff doing to it so been working on it all winter. Under the front seat is a 6 space nylon connector with 3 wires going into it. Every thing seems to work on the bike other than the neutral indicator and I have anew one of this to fit. Any idea what this connector is for?

I don't know how with only 3000 miles on it it needed so much fixing but the engine is fine and I just sealed the tank as it was showing rust inside from ethanol fuel.

Freddy1

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 06:40:46 am
K-LINE is indicated in the wiring diagram, it is used to connect the diagnostic tool called DOL TOOL part code CR0060 (but it is not necessary because to do the diagnostics you can use the MIL method which does not require any tool).

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=20229.0

Willie

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 07:22:08 am
I don't know how with only 3000 miles on it it needed so much fixing but the engine is fine and I just sealed the tank as it was showing rust inside from ethanol fuel

Get used to it.  Mine could be the twin of yours, except that it had only about 1700 miles on it when I got it about 18 months ago.  I get about 250 miles to the repair job.  I also got a "great deal" and wondered why the mileage was so low.  I think I knew in the back of my mind, but the bike fascinated me.  Still does (but not nearly as much...)  Right now it has been sitting idle for the last 5 months while I try to replace the wiring harness, which was a total piece of junk.  Apparently, no two wiring harnesses are ever made exactly the same, and the wiring parts all cost "Drug Money" and are the most favored victims of the so-called supply chain problem.  For example, my bike does not have the connector to which you refer.  The harness I am doing battle with now is supposed to be OEM design and manufacture for make, year, and model.  HA!  The wires that all go into the headlamp plug on my original harness are all dangling unattached in the new one, and several of the connectors do not match-up correctly.  I think RE takes Indian schizophrenics and puts them in their electrical departments.
Your fuel tank had rust in it because that is the way it most likely left the factory.  Mine was rusted too.
Up next, or at least soon:
*Brake calipers rebuild
*Sprag clutch replacement
*Multiple, sundry, and never-ending oil leaks
*Multiple, sundry, and never-ending electrical problems.
*Etc., etc., etc.,
The more I write this, the less fascinated I become with my RE.  Thankfully, I have 3 other bikes that require only routine maintenance and can actually be ridden!

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 07:08:26 am
Sounds like you have both had an initiation back in time to the 70s and old brit bikes, ho the fun of owning motorcycles.

Willie

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 12:27:03 pm
Sounds like you have both had an initiation back in time to the 70s and old brit bikes, ho the fun of owning motorcycles.

Yes!  I am going to be a lot more involved with my old Honda and Suzuki this riding season, that's for sure!  The 2012 Triumph Bonneville T100 has so far been very reliable too.  It would be great if RE offered a generous trade-in on their older models just to get them off the road and out of the negative columns of the forums.  I have ridden an Interceptor 650 and would gladly upgrade if an allowance was made for older bikes.  The problem is that the dealerships do NOT want the older bikes anywhere near their showrooms.  It might be worth it to RE to get some of the worst of the old bikes out of the market place and into the crusher.