Author Topic: DNA vs K&N  (Read 6387 times)

beavis69

• Scooter
on: January 10, 2022, 08:09:22 pm
I've used K&N air filters for many years in various cars and motorcycles.  Never heard of DNA until now.  The K&N appears to be cheaper.  Any thoughts on which is better (or cause less problems) or if they're comparable?

Adam
everybody wang chung tonight

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 11:38:53 pm
Don't waste your money on either, the stock filter is just fine.

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 12:14:29 am
If you remove the stock cover, put it in the oven at 200 for five minutes the baffle will pull off as its glued on. This will offer the same intake performance on a stock bike as any of the filter kits. You have to replace the stock filter eventually, the others not.  If you trick the motor with a bigger bore etc, the intake kits may be of some use.
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 01:08:35 am
Gotta admit, the guys are right.  i fitted a DNA without the plastic cover and noticed nothing. 

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 02:59:29 am
Don't waste your money on either, the stock filter is just fine.
+1
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

wfdTamar

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 04:14:02 am
I reckon any of the re-oilable filters are much the same.
865, S&S cam, clutch, Revelry heads & 40mm throttle bodies, Powertronic with crank sensor, Verex 1.75” ceramic exhaust, Hitchcocks air delete. YSS.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 05:29:02 am
I reckon any of the re-oilable filters are much the same.
Me too, rubbish.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Haggisman2

• Grease Monkey
  • 2018 Interceptor
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 06:01:29 am
Just don't let the oil dry out
Previously "Haggisman"

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 02:18:15 pm
I've got the K&N and I'm gonna disagree with others in saying that it did make a difference, but I had a specific problem. After I installed the TEC 2-1 pipes the throttle started lagging in the midrange, but sticking in the K&N fixed that issue. If your pipes are stock then the filter isn't going to do anything by itself.

An engine is basically an air pump and if you increase the flow on one side (intake) then you need to increase it on the other (exhaust) for there to be any difference. Even then you're not going to EVER see noticeable performance increases from these mods. As I said, I just fixed a problem I created with my K&N filter. I don't think I gave it more oomph or anything.

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 03:03:21 pm
I've got the K&N. I can't really feel a big difference with that alone, but I feel like it's done at least a tiny something. Aside from just installing a DNA or K&N, if you remove the cover and replace the stock exhaust tips, you definitely feel a difference, however minor it may be. People here will tell me it's psychosomatic, but whatever.

If anything, I just kind of like having the K&N instead of the throwaways. It'll pay for itself eventually. And, if it doesn't, who cares? Besides, you get a cool sticker with it that you can do with as you see fit; no one can tell you where to stick your sticker!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 03:05:27 pm by SandSquid »
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

beavis69

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 06:02:01 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies.  It sounds like there's not much benefit.  I may replace the exhaust slip ons some day, not for sound or significant performance, but rather for the large bulk/size of the stock cans.  If that becomes the case, it sounds like there may be a small benefit or at least tuning improvement.  I'll weigh the filter cost at the first filter change, as I have K&N soap and oil already wasting space on a shelf without a filter currently.  I decided not to get a high flow filter for my Volvo 240.  That's a joke.

That being said, a little more exhaust sound would be nice, but not a ton.  I had Yoshimura slip-ons on my Suzuki SV1000S and they were just too damned loud.  Plus there's Harley riders everywhere here.  "Loud pipes save lives" goes the motto here.  Yeah not so much.  More like "Loud pipes may people hate motorcyclists".  I've never seen that sticker though.  Ok, off soap box. 
everybody wang chung tonight

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 06:29:40 pm
Also if you remove the airbox snorkel and put in an aftermarket filter (probably it is just the snorkel causing this) you end up with what I found a very unattractive intake honk. I would have gone back to stock if I didn’t then change the exhaust.
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

Noelvh

• My Bikes
  • Scooter
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 10:52:28 pm
I use the paper I just fitted a home made retainer ring that is like the DNA ring. Sounds much better and the paper are cheap.
From Roxbury NJ USA
2019 RE INT650
2013 Honda CBR250r (for my son)
2010 Suzuki RMZ250 (for my son)
1990 Honda shadow 600
1987 Yamaha XT550
1981 Suzuki PE400
1972 Suzuki TM72

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 12, 2022, 12:32:05 am
You guys ever wonder why the factory engineers decided not to use same type design as DNA? I guarantee you they could manufacture it at the sane or lower cost as the one they used.
 I mean, why would they leave free power on the table?
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 12, 2022, 12:33:46 am
You guys ever wonder why the factory engineers decided not to use same type design as DNA? I guarantee you they could manufacture it at the sane or lower cost as the one they used.
 I mean, why would they leave free power on the table?

There is no more power it is just cheaper to use their solution plus they get to sell you replacement filters.
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was