Author Topic: New member from Germany  (Read 638 times)

Taurim

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: January 09, 2022, 04:50:41 pm
It will be interesting to see what sort of mileage figures 535 owners have been getting, especially for the more highly-developed ones, which are presumably the most enthusiastically ridden.

11 000 Km so far. Bought it at 5500 Km. We'll see  :o

Fingers crossed  ;D

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: January 09, 2022, 04:56:02 pm
Good on you, Adrian. Thanks for that. Personally, I haven't seen many high milage ones around here. I met chap at a bike show a few years ago who'd ridden his AVL bullet around Australia 3 times. He said his crank failed at 17,000km and the replacement one was still going. I don't remember the  milage on his bike but it'd be getting up there after 3 laps.
As I said, mine's 55,000km so far. Runs great, sits on 120 for hours if it needs to and gets ridden "enthusiastically". It's not stock but not a super hotrod like Otto's one. Wish my big end luck!

Thanks.  ;D ...compared to most anything that folks ride around on an open A license it´s still a lame duck though.  ;)
"Proles and Animals are free"
"Ignorance is strength"

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #32 on: January 09, 2022, 05:01:09 pm
@ Gizzo,

the big-end design was simply copied from Japanese practice instead of the old British style which has the hardened steel outer race pressed into the rod. If Nipponese singles get high mileages from this, dear old RE (India) ought to be capable of it. Later Electra-Xs were supposed to be better, but my first one was a fairly early '05, the big-end lasted 17.5k miles/28k kilometres, some were failing a lot sooner. Fast forward a few years and your own CGT would seem to proof that RE did indeed up their game if it' has been happy with serious use. It's more the occasional one failing now rather than whole batches, AFAIK.

If I were looking at a CGT 535 for serious and sustained hooligan use the Alpha Bearings conversion would still be top of the list, along with the other upgrades listed. I shall probably never own one, at least not whole one, there is a sort of weirdo project I have in mind, but I will need to see what the current going rate for used kidneys is.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: January 09, 2022, 05:01:22 pm
11 000 Km so far. Bought it at 5500 Km. We'll see  :o

Fingers crossed  ;D

20.000km for mine.  ::) ...second crank´s got about 3000km. The good news is the engine can be rebuild in a matter of hours provided you have good spare part accessibility.
"Ignorance is strength"

Taurim

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: January 09, 2022, 06:07:57 pm
I don't know if it's a good news. I'm not that impatient  ;D

derottone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: January 09, 2022, 06:24:56 pm
I don't know if it's a good news. I'm not that impatient  ;D

;D...agree there is still the winters and bronterocs aren't running around yet, plenty of time to do that job.
"Ignorance is strength"

Taurim

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: January 09, 2022, 06:54:52 pm
Bronterocs ? Don't look up  ;D