Author Topic: Probably a long shot but.... has anyone ever  (Read 2309 times)

Camreno

• Scooter
on: December 24, 2021, 12:30:27 am
Had a problem where the fuel level indicator just flashes, turn signal indicator stuck on, neutral light doesn't work, and the tail light doesn't stay on, only when applying brakes they do. I assume its something electrical =P

All fuses and relays fine.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 01:08:14 am
The fuel level just flashing usually means the fuel level sender wire isn't plugged in under the tank.

Turn signal stuck on sounds like a switch fault. Give it a squirt of contact cleaner and a few jabs of the button. Maybe unplug the switch loom to make sure it's the switch and not downstream of that. Then replace the switch. they're cheap as shit on ebay.

Neutral light, try it in the dark. It's really dim and nearly impossible to see in the daylight. Othewise unplug it from the switch, earth the wire and see if it lights up. if it does, replace the switch. If not, wiring fault or dead LED in dash. An instrument guy can fix that.

Tail light, probably hopefully just a broken filament in the dual filament bulb. The brake light filament lasts for ever but the tail light one dies every few 1000 miles from the vibration and being constantly lit.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 01:10:27 am by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 01:10:32 am
Before or after you pulled the fuel tank to change the pump?

Check Gizzos suggested areas. If the connectors are good then it sounds like some wire is pinched or short circuited. Behind the headlight bucket where the harnesses tuck between the frame and the fuel tank might be a good place to check, and under the tank as well.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Camreno

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 01:36:51 am
The fuel level just flashing usually means the fuel level sender wire isn't plugged in under the tank.

Turn signal stuck on sounds like a switch fault. Give it a squirt of contact cleaner and a few jabs of the button. Maybe unplug the switch loom to make sure it's the switch and not downstream of that. Then replace the switch. they're cheap as shit on ebay.

Neutral light, try it in the dark. It's really dim and nearly impossible to see in the daylight. Othewise unplug it from the switch, earth the wire and see if it lights up. if it does, replace the switch. If not, wiring fault or dead LED in dash. An instrument guy can fix that.

Tail light, probably hopefully just a broken filament in the dual filament bulb. The brake light filament lasts for ever but the tail light one dies every few 1000 miles from the vibration and being constantly lit.

The fuel level float is plugged in, brand new tank. I just got the bike running. The turn signals work, just not the indicators on the tach.

Camreno

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 01:37:40 am
Before or after you pulled the fuel tank to change the pump?

Check Gizzos suggested areas. If the connectors are good then it sounds like some wire is pinched or short circuited. Behind the headlight bucket where the harnesses tuck between the frame and the fuel tank might be a good place to check, and under the tank as well.

With only 1200 miles on the bike I have a hard time believing that's the issue. It's def electrical of some sorts just don't know what

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 01:41:44 am
Ah well. Do what you gotta do.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Camreno

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 04:02:31 pm
Tail light bulb ended up just being burnt out. All the other problems seem to be located in the tach, weird how some work but some wont.

Z0MBIEZILLA

• Neophyte
Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 12:59:19 pm
I recently had this problem with the fuel guage blinking and also left signal light always on and no N light.  Found out in the headlight wiring there was a factory plug (add on lead) and it was messing everything up. I took it out plugged the guage cluster back in and it fixed everything.

Camreno

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 02:18:42 pm
I recently had this problem with the fuel guage blinking and also left signal light always on and no N light.  Found out in the headlight wiring there was a factory plug (add on lead) and it was messing everything up. I took it out plugged the guage cluster back in and it fixed everything.

1st post? Did you get on just to help me out? If so that's incredible! Would you mind explaining more? I don't know what a factory plug is :p

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 28, 2021, 11:39:05 pm
This is probably the 3-4” long cable that inactivates the headlight on-off switch in the US models so that the headlight remains permanently on. It is inside the headlight bucket with either red or orange connectors at both ends. Unplugging and discarding the cable and reconnecting the remaining two ends will activate the headlight switch….this obviously is a DRL safety requirement so make your own judgment.

Let us know if this fixes anything. Thanks.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Camreno

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 11:58:50 pm
Yep that was it! Man you guys are genius's haha. The neutral light still doesn't work though. It fixed the gas level and turn signal stuck on, just one more problem!!

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 29, 2021, 06:15:03 pm
Yep that was it! Man you guys are genius's haha. The neutral light still doesn't work though. It fixed the gas level and turn signal stuck on, just one more problem!!
Is the neutral light bulb dead?
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Camreno

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: December 29, 2021, 06:17:02 pm
Is the neutral light bulb dead?

Inside the tach? I have no clue, would have to take it apart. I would like to say I doubt it but you never know :p

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 02:48:09 pm
Inside the tach? I have no clue, would have to take it apart. I would like to say I doubt it but you never know :p
The neutral light is not in the tachometer. It's in the speedometer.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Camreno

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 03:20:49 pm
The neutral light is not in the tachometer. It's in the speedometer.

Thats what I mean, I call the whole cluster the tach :p