Author Topic: Tec perfomance cam update  (Read 4539 times)

dlapierre

• Scooter
on: October 27, 2021, 05:19:49 pm
I'm a little disappointed. I've been waiting for the Tec outfit to come out with their notification that the cam was again available. I got the notification and so I ordered the cam. But I still can't get it. They haven't produced enough, yet. It is because I'm in Canada. Lower on the priority list, from the sounds of it. Dang!

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 06:48:43 am
I'm a little disappointed. I've been waiting for the Tec outfit to come out with their notification that the cam was again available. I got the notification and so I ordered the cam. But I still can't get it. They haven't produced enough, yet. It is because I'm in Canada. Lower on the priority list, from the sounds of it. Dang!

I got the notification (I'm in Australia) while I was asleep... and they were sold out by the time I woke up.

And beware of their sales page, the dyno chart shown is for a 477 with the cam, not a 411. They only say so right at the bottom of the page and then only after complaints. This is despite them claiming in the bulk of their text that this a 'stock' engine. There's no way you're going to get 30 hp out of a 411.

Get the Himalayan Tools cam  -not as much top end power but more in the 3,000 - 4,000 rev range. Where do you ride your bike?
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 07:58:46 am
Hi Folks

I had a similar experience, received the email, due to work commitments it was a hour before I could order my cam, which was out of stock.

So, I contacted TEC, they informed me that their stock sold out in 30minutes. There must be a lot of us hanging on for these cams.

TEC advice was to re-fill in the notification part on the order page.

As far as 411~477 Engine on TEC page below is there page.

First announced in June 2020 – We have known for a while how to unleash more power from this 410cc motor.  Due to obvious global circumstances this part saw some delays but has now been fully tested and is ready to go.

Please see the Dyno sheets on our 2019 stock Euro 4 Himalayan with standard ECU, more power can be gained with other simple changes if you wanted to go further.

The 3 Dyno runs are:

1) Bottom line – stock Euro 4 Himalayan
2) Centre line – Same bike with just the new camshaft installed, no other changes
3) Top line – Same bike with camshaft and DNA air filter and free flow silencer installed

410 Euro 4 mentioned
477🤔

As far as I’m aware it’s a first come first served basis.

Contact TEC talk to the guys also I recommend re submitting a notification request

Have fun G😎
15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 08:22:48 am
As far as I’m aware it’s a first come first served basis.

Nope. Now they're having a lottery in a week or so.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

dlapierre

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 04:27:12 pm
I got the notification (I'm in Australia) while I was asleep... and they were sold out by the time I woke up.

And beware of their sales page, the dyno chart shown is for a 477 with the cam, not a 411. They only say so right at the bottom of the page and then only after complaints. This is despite them claiming in the bulk of their text that this a 'stock' engine. There's no way you're going to get 30 hp out of a 411.

Get the Himalayan Tools cam  -not as much top end power but more in the 3,000 - 4,000 rev range. Where do you ride your bike?

I'm mostly riding forest service roads that are normally used by logging outfits, campers going to remote lakes to fish, and cattlemen who graze their cows on British Columbia, Canada Crown land during the summer. Not too much highway riding. Just putt along on the bush roads. The bike is perfect for that.

Guldner

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 10:23:35 pm
Just a bit of information, I contacted TEC re exhaust/Silencer used for their testing.

In your development of the cam & the graph showing test results with standard and “tuned” exhaust.
Did you just change the silencer or did you alter the down pipe as well?
I believe up to Euro 4 there is a catalytic converter built into the down pipe. Hence the “bulge “ in the pipe behind the heat shield.

I ask because I am seriously looking at buying a Delkevic total system, rather than just buying a “Slip-on” end can/Silencer.

And the reply

We only changed the silencer during testing and development, we have not tested it with a full system, the best place to look for experience with that is on the forums, as some have tried it, but yes the cat is still in the down pipe on the Euro 4's then in the Euro 5's they have it welded to the tailpipes.

I find it quite interesting that the original down pipe was retained, knowing that it wasn’t quite “free flowing”  I was wondering how many horses would be unleashed 😁🤔

Have fun

G😎

zefnerd

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 08:38:24 pm
 I thought they were smart keeping everything close to stock and then opening up the exhaust in a way that was easily repeatable by owners if they wanted to verify the results. In a dyno run on YouTube I found before cams were available, putting on a free flowing exhaust or air filter with the stock camshaft actually produced less HP, Red Rooster being the particular brand of that exhaust in the run. Tec mentions that as well in their video, it's the camshaft lift and its timing which undo's the real bottleneck, the intake and exhaust ports and valves. Removing the baffle and actually getting a bit more performance instead of losing or making no difference as before does shows they have left some headroom as well.

Guldner

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 01:15:22 pm
WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP….

The cams are in

dlapierre

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 03:16:16 pm
In for those winning the lottery, that is.

Guldner

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 09:08:23 pm
 😁😎😉

According to the email mine will be delivered on Friday 12th….to work…..I’m away on Holiday 😆…watch this space for an update 👍😎

G

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2021, 12:03:35 am
Received the email, clicked the link - Out of stock.

Bloody hell, are they making them by hand or something. I see a little old Indian sitting on his back porch with a lump of steel and a hand file  ;D

If you ever manage to get on of these things, buy a lottery ticket.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Guldner

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 08:58:36 pm
Well Peeps,

Once again I received the “In stock” email…

I hope that you managed to acquire yours.

Having been there I can appreciate just how frustrating it can be.

G😎

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 12:45:06 am
Vaporware is gone again! Aren’t these supposed to be manufactured in the UK?

Received the email, clicked the link - Out of stock.

Bloody hell, are they making them by hand or something. I see a little old Indian sitting on his back porch with a lump of steel and a hand file  ;D

« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 12:47:36 am by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2021, 10:32:38 pm
I just think on this subject the bike is what it is, if you want a more powerful model buy a more powerful bike.

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #14 on: December 26, 2021, 02:11:41 pm
You've tried it then?

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 26, 2021, 07:14:11 pm
No l have not tried it but l doubt the expense will be worth it, you have to be realistic the bike is what it is, before l did that l would buy a more powerful bike.

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #16 on: December 27, 2021, 11:03:38 am
No l have not tried it but l doubt the expense will be worth it, you have to be realistic the bike is what it is, before l did that l would buy a more powerful bike.

Speaking as someone who has tried it, I would say the TEC cam is worth every penny.

A more powerful bike isn't really the aim, rather one that doesn't feel artificially restricted and can achieve its potential. If you think of it as derestricting rather than tuning, you're on the right track.

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: December 29, 2021, 01:01:01 am
Speaking as someone who has tried it, I would say the TEC cam is worth every penny.

A more powerful bike isn't really the aim, rather one that doesn't feel artificially restricted and can achieve its potential. If you think of it as derestricting rather than tuning, you're on the right track.

Hi Martin,

Could you give a brief appraisal of where the improvements are most noticeable for you?
A little more “roll on” acceleration from around the 50/60 mph would be nice for those steeper undulations.
I know there are comments on YouTube but it would be nice to here comments from this forum’s membership.
Also, how many miles had your Himmy done when you fitted the cam?

Mine has only 4000 odd kilometres and feels like it is still freeing up, so if I went for the cam it would possibly be later rather than sooner. Perhaps when warranty runs out would be best for me.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #18 on: December 29, 2021, 11:02:37 am
My Himmy had about 4000 miles on it when I fitted it. The bike had certainly loosened up, but that only took 1500 miles or so.
As the dyno chart TEC use shows, there's more power everywhere, but it feels especially lively in the 4-6000 rpm area. Pulls much more strongly at 50+mph in top gear.
Feels more spritely at lower speeds, while feeling less asthmatic at higher rpm.
It's not a huge increase, but noticeable, so much so that fitted a bigger gearbox sprocket, which it pulls comfortably.
The net result is I have a bike which holds cruising speeds at lower rpm, with more power in reserve for overtaking. I can cruise at 70mph, while still being outside the nasty buzzy range of the engine. 60 mph cruising is much more relaxed.

If you wanted to maximise the pull of the new cam, you would keep the original gearing of course.

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: December 29, 2021, 11:01:33 pm
My Himmy had about 4000 miles on it when I fitted it. The bike had certainly loosened up, but that only took 1500 miles or so.
As the dyno chart TEC use shows, there's more power everywhere, but it feels especially lively in the 4-6000 rpm area. Pulls much more strongly at 50+mph in top gear.
Feels more spritely at lower speeds, while feeling less asthmatic at higher rpm.
It's not a huge increase, but noticeable, so much so that fitted a bigger gearbox sprocket, which it pulls comfortably.
The net result is I have a bike which holds cruising speeds at lower rpm, with more power in reserve for overtaking. I can cruise at 70mph, while still being outside the nasty buzzy range of the engine. 60 mph cruising is much more relaxed.

If you wanted to maximise the pull of the new cam, you would keep the original gearing of course.

Thanks for that Martin. ‘Appreciate it .
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: January 14, 2022, 05:23:29 am
HCM cam is back in stock…..ordered one today. Will see how it plays with the powertronic unit in my bike when tundraland thaws in May!
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: January 14, 2022, 05:53:43 am
HCM cam is back in stock…..ordered one today. Will see how it plays with the powertronic unit in my bike when tundraland thaws in May!
Nope, out of stock again, you must've fluked the magic half hour.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: January 15, 2022, 12:27:45 am
HCM and DHL are incredible!  Ordered yesterday morning and the package was delivered today.

Less than 36 hours from UK to Minnesota….truly impressive.
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: January 16, 2022, 10:28:11 pm
I think l keep to my GS 650 for those kind of days myself.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: January 17, 2022, 05:39:53 am
Nope, out of stock again, you must've fluked the magic half hour.

Still available - https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/44747?ref_page=Himalayan
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

zefnerd

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: January 18, 2022, 02:05:38 am
HCM and DHL are incredible!  Ordered yesterday morning and the package was delivered today.

Less than 36 hours from UK to Minnesota….truly impressive.
  They are a class act, I don't mind spending a little extra knowing that they source quality products and just basically know what they are doing as a business.
  Camshaft at Hitchcock's shows as in stock currently here.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: January 18, 2022, 02:06:22 pm
  They are a class act, I don't mind spending a little extra knowing that they source quality products and just basically know what they are doing as a business.
  Camshaft at Hitchcock's shows as in stock currently here.

I agree. I have bought a few things from Hitchcocks for my 2011 Bullet and have been very satisfied with their great customer service, the quality of the parts, their prices and how quickly the parts arrived tens of thousands of miles away.  :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: January 19, 2022, 02:48:32 am
I agree. I have bought a few things from Hitchcocks for my 2011 Bullet and have been very satisfied with their great customer service, the quality of the parts, their prices and how quickly the parts arrived tens of thousands of miles away.  :)

I'd agree with all of this, apart from their prices. They are expensive. They're probably fair for the quality of their parts, but you can't call them cheap. Depending on what it is, I'll generally look elsewhere as well, but yes, I have bought from them and been happy with the experience.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: January 19, 2022, 02:05:03 pm
I'd agree with all of this, apart from their prices. They are expensive. They're probably fair for the quality of their parts, but you can't call them cheap. Depending on what it is, I'll generally look elsewhere as well, but yes, I have bought from them and been happy with the experience.

Hitchcocks RE parts are about 1/3 the cost of similar BMW, KTM and Yamaha parts. So from my perspective, they are very cheap for new stock parts. Plus, my local dealerships rarely carry anything but normal servicing items in stock and most repair parts must be special ordered. And then they tell you that it will take a month to arrive before they can be picked up at the local dealership because of supply, Covid-19 and transportation problems   ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1