Author Topic: Avon Roadmaster  (Read 3493 times)

Slippery Jack

• Scooter
on: February 02, 2023, 09:26:44 am
I recently changed the front tyre to an Avon Roadmaster 2 from the stock Pirelli.  Previously, the bike was squirreling all over the place on any uneven road surface - paint, seams, cracks etc, but now it is rock solid and the squirreling has completely disappeared.  And I always thought it was to do with the rear tyre, which is a Battleax.
Stercus non potest poliri.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 10:35:19 am
Got to say the stock Pirellis I have on my bike have been perfectly fine in all weathers and road conditions.Other members have reported the same as you.Makes me think it could be down to specific manufacturing batches.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 10:42:26 am by James. »
Freedom.

zundapp

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 10:47:13 am
Got to say the stock Pirellis I have on my bike have been perfectly fine in all weathers and road conditions.

I found exactly the same.   

Until they were worn out, the original Pirellis performed as well as the Avons that I have on the bike now.
Can he fix it - no, it's fucked!

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 11:36:37 am
I found my original Pirellis downright scary. BT46s, now Avons, because the Bridgestones were unavailable, have been much better.
No more squeaky bum moments!

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 01:02:12 pm
Changing out the stock Ceat tires for BT46s was the best upgrade I’ve ever done.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

Island Rider

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 01:53:53 pm
Changing out the stock Ceat tires for BT46s was the best upgrade I’ve ever done.
I can't wait - the stock tires are horrible at speed.

Gone in 60

• Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor 650 - Vindaloo
Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 02:58:10 pm
Must be a few different factors at work. I ride on different highway  surfaces on my daily commute including asphalt, grooved concrete, parallel and perpendicular expansion joints.

I find the Avon RiadRider Mk2s on my Bonneville terrifying on anything but smooth asphalt, while the Pirellis on my Interceptor are much less squirrelly.

Nothing beats tubeless radials of course.
'21 Interceptor 650
'12 Bonneville T100
'13 CB1100

Island Rider

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 03:20:42 pm
My bike has CEAT tires, not Pirellis. Back in the day when I rode my bike every day in all weather because I did not have a car, Avons were my go-to tires. They did great in rain, which was my number one deciding factor.

Karl Steel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 03:56:21 pm
I din't found any comment here talking about modern radial tires like the Conti Road Attack (which is available for 650 RE). You guys are prefering diagonal tires, which is some kind of outdated technology. Is there any reason for that preference?

Island Rider

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 04:06:15 pm
I din't found any comment here talking about modern radial tires like the Conti Road Attack (which is available for 650 RE). You guys are prefering diagonal tires, which is some kind of outdated technology. Is there any reason for that preference?
Last time I bought tires for a motorcycle was in the late 1980s, so outdated is all I know  ::)

Karl Steel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2023, 04:19:27 pm
I din't found any comment here...
I found something with the search function

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 04:47:52 pm
Search Continental tyres.
I have mentioned them on here, as most on this forum are from the US, I don't think Continental are too much on the radar.
Shame, as the Road Attack3 is probably the best tyres available for our bikes.
On second thoughts don't say anything, we don't want them to be in short supply if they find out how good they are.
Lets keep them for the Europeans.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 04:54:05 pm
I recently changed the front tyre to an Avon Roadmaster 2 from the stock Pirelli.  Previously, the bike was squirreling all over the place on any uneven road surface - paint, seams, cracks etc, but now it is rock solid and the squirreling has completely disappeared.  And I always thought it was to do with the rear tyre, which is a Battleax.
Is "Avon Roadmaster" a simple typo?
I see Avon SpeedMaster and Avon RoadRider MkII ...

That aside, I had the same experience with the OEM Pirelli tires once you used them at a higher pace.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

zundapp

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 05:08:44 pm

Availability maybe....

When I changed my Pirellis, Avons were my only option if I wanted a matching pair.
Can he fix it - no, it's fucked!

StefArmstg

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 06:07:25 pm
My favorite riding is on twisty roads.  Not at high speeds, but fast enough for big lean angles.  And flicking the bike from side to side.  My riding style was to pitch the bike into tight turns.  Doing that on the Interceptor was scary.  Not because the bike didn't want to turn, but because of the stock tires.

I wore out the rear Pirelli before switching.  I wanted to try the Michelin Road Classics, but when the time came, the fronts were out of stock.  I went with the BTs because of the great forum reviews.  They transformed the bike.  Handling is lazer sharp.  Leaning into a turn, or changing lines in a turn is effortless.  Decreasing radius turns are pucker free.  The handling now compliments the motor. 

Because I'm not going that fast, the only suspension mod has been a bit more preload on the fork springs.

In hindsight, I wasted the first season waiting for the rear tire to wear out.  At my age that's a big deal.

The accessory guys at my Enfield dealer both run Conti radials.  One of them has an Interceptor.  (The other has a stable of Laverdas).  That's what they recommended, but they're expensive tires.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 06:13:36 pm by StefArmstg »
650 Interceptor
Past favorites:
HD DuoGlide,  Norton Commando
Yamaha SR500,  Cagiva Elefant
HD Sportster,  RE Bullet