Author Topic: Gun Nut Thread !  (Read 15442 times)

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 02, 2023, 01:25:24 am
For us gun and motorcycle nuts only!

I'll start.

Homemade 1911. Lots of sweat, some blood, and a lot of cussing. No numbers or names anywhere. Completely naked. Shoots like a bad girl's dream. (Smudge under the slide is just oil, not a defect!)

https://i.imgur.com/StAaMtv.jpg[/img]]

https://i.imgur.com/k016lJ0.jpg[/img]]

The road to redemption is paved by dried bodily fluids.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 01:35:12 am
Here's my back-up piece...

@ 00: This may not be the best thing to post about... ::) "No numbers or names anywhere."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 01:38:27 am by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 01:58:00 am
i believe hoplophile is the fancy word we're looking for
mauser c-96 , "prewar commercial", ~1912 .30 mauser. shoots but no rifling, unreliable.
Springfield Armory Inc. 1911a1, .45acp. if i carried, this would be it.
i also have couple of pocket pistols, i'll get to them soon.
i do carry pepper spray on my keyring. a couple of teens got all up in my face once, i'd rather not have to kill them. :(
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 02:14:07 am by him a layin »

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 05:36:33 am
I misread the title and thought it was a nut gun thread. Was going to ask whether anyone's seen an adapter to fit Ryobi batteries to a Milwaukee or Dewalt tool. 'cause ryobi doesn't do a 3/8 nut gun and I have Ryobi batteries. Guess I could shoot the nuts off. Works all the time on the telly.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 10:04:48 am
I misread the title and thought it was a nut gun thread. Was going to ask whether anyone's seen an adapter to fit Ryobi batteries to a Milwaukee or Dewalt tool. 'cause ryobi doesn't do a 3/8 nut gun and I have Ryobi batteries. Guess I could shoot the nuts off. Works all the time on the telly.
i'm having a similar problem with batteries for my chinese harbor freight tools. i've plenty of black and decker batteries but they don't fit the HF tools.
but no, not nut guns. so, south australia. perfect, i wanted to emigrate to austrailia when a teenager, then learned that just about everything is poisonous.
we have guns, you have poison teddy bears. fair enough.

as a late-comer to american gun culture, i'm aware of some of its quirks. but i come at it primarily from an interest in history and technology, and actual utility is another thing altogether. i shoot paper targets routinely, hope never to shoot at a living thing. meanwhile... the 1911 and its offshoots were invented by the fertile mind of John Moses Browning, and accepted into US service in... 1911. it shoots the .45 acp cartridge (another JMB invention) and served worthily through ww1, ww2, korean conflict and vietnam. standard capacity of this single-stack pistol is 7, i mostly use 8-round magazines, made possible by better metallurgy. here's that same 1911a1 as we saw before and a "subcompact" llama 1911 clone from spain. i say "subcompact" because while smaller in length and height, it's wider and carries an extra 2 rounds in its double-stack mag. the llama shares design and operating principles but no major parts with the actual 1911 and so far as i can tell weighs about the same.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 11:27:45 am
i'm having a similar problem with batteries for my chinese harbor freight tools. i've plenty of black and decker batteries but they don't fit the HF tools.
but no, not nut guns. so, south australia. perfect, i wanted to emigrate to austrailia when a teenager, then learned that just about everything is poisonous.
we have guns, you have poison teddy bears. fair enough.

Not everything in Australia is poisonous. A lot of things are venomous. Or have big teeth. You get used to it.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 11:49:04 am
Not everything in Australia is poisonous. A lot of things are venomous. Or have big teeth. You get used to it.

Most of the dangerous stuff is protected by law and you get fined for killing it.

The pigs - not so much they are pretty much open season all year round.

In general Australia is not that dangerous for the locals.   

Tourists who do stupid things like swim in croc country, camp in a tent on the ground in pig country, pick up cute looking shiney sea creatures, swim in shark season, try and cuddle and pat the wildlife, leave their boots out uncovered overnight and not check them for things that may have crawled in or worse wander around picking up random things laying on the ground without judiciously poking them first will often be in for a nasty shock.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 11:52:47 am by GlennF »

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 12:17:27 pm
Here's my back-up piece...

@ 00: This may not be the best thing to post about... ::) "No numbers or names anywhere."

The BATF has ruled that making a firearm for personal use is completely legal. No numbers or markings required. As long as you don't build a restricted or unlawful firearm as in full auto, etc.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 03:18:53 pm
Doesn't sound like it here. There's not a lot of valid reasons to build an untraceable firearm.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/frame-and-receiver-rule-goes-effect
Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Today, the Department of Justice Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) “Frame or Receiver” Final Rule goes into effect. The new rule modernizes the definition of a firearm and makes clear that parts kits that are readily convertible to functional weapons, or functional “frames” or “receivers” of weapons, are subject to the same regulations as traditional firearms. This rule will help curb the proliferation of “ghost guns,” which are often assembled from kits, do not contain serial numbers, and are sold without background checks, making them difficult to trace and easy to acquire by criminals.

“Last year, the Justice Department committed to modernizing our regulations to address the proliferation of ‘ghost guns’ that law enforcement officers across the country have increasingly recovered from crime scenes,” said Attorney General Merrick B. Garland. “These guns have often been sold as build-your-own kits that contain all or almost all of the parts needed to quickly build an unmarked gun. And anyone could sell or buy these guns without a background check.

“That changes today. This rule will make it harder for criminals and other prohibited persons to obtain untraceable guns. It will help to ensure that law enforcement officers can retrieve the information they need to solve crimes. And it will help reduce the number of untraceable firearms flooding our communities. I am grateful to the professionals across the Department who worked tirelessly to get this important rule finalized and implemented, and who did so in a way that respects the rights of law-abiding Americans.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

https://everytownresearch.org/report/atf-final-rule-ghost-guns/
4.12.2022 (04 Dec 2022 )
Ghost guns are the fastest-growing gun safety problem facing our country and have emerged as a weapon of choice for violent criminals, gun traffickers, dangerous extremists, and other people legally prohibited from buying firearms. Ghost guns are also the thread connecting a recent increase in gunfire on school grounds. Schools in Arizona, New Mexico, Maryland, and Kansas have been devastated by school shootings involving ghost guns – highlighting a scary trend and another important reason to regulate these dangerous weapons.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 03:27:22 pm
I've done extensive research on this, including a conversation with the ATF.

There are many good reasons for building your own firearm. For me, I like making something with hard labor to call my own.

It is 100% legal, unless I build it with the intent to sell it. That is illegal.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2023, 03:31:28 pm
Any actual references? Hearsay is cold comfort.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 03:39:51 pm

When the CCCP went belly up half of its arsenal was untraceable, you could buy an AK for 20$. When Selenaki finally defeats Russia you might be able to afford a tank.

...you should worry more about the folks who are in it for the nukes, that would be you.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 03:51:45 pm
my understanding is that brian is correct, all perfectly legal to construct and possess firearms as long as you are not a "prohibited person" and they don't fall into some regulated category like full auto "machine gun" or SBR. for those, you essentially pay a tax and get a background check. selling them would be a very different matter. there's some legalistic "80% complete" breakpoint that distinguishes "parts" from "firearms". practically speaking, the ATF would be the people to ask.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 04:07:22 pm
parts kits that are readily convertible to functional weapons, or functional “frames” or “receivers” of weapons, are subject to the same regulations as traditional firearms.
good thing i bought my 80% lower (for precisely this contingency) before this went into effect. wonder if i saved the receipt?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 05:00:02 pm by him a layin »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 04:45:18 pm
It's obvious that it's not a smart thing to advertise your ghost gun building on a public forum. With pictures no less.The real question is why you thought it was necessary to do so. Starting to look like the 06 January 2021 "selfie" phenomenon. With no numbers to track, no paper trail, proving date of construction might be tricky. What you do covertly inside your own home is your own issue. Advertising it on a public forum much less so. The working assumption must be that there is there is zero risk of blow-back to yourself. How that actually works out in 2023 is yet to be determined.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/24/federal-ghost-gun-regulations-go-into-effect-after-judges-reject-challenges.html#:~:text=pause%20the%20change.-,The%20regulations%20require%20that%20the%20main%20components%20used%20to%20manufacture,and%20keep%20records%20of%20sales.

The regulations require that the main components used to manufacture ghost guns — the frames and receivers — be assigned serial numbers. They also require that buyers undergo background checks before purchasing the components and that dealers be federally licensed to sell the kits and keep records of sales.