Author Topic: O2 eliminators.  (Read 4614 times)

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 05, 2023, 05:54:41 am
Here's a fuel map I have worked on for an engine I have. RPM and throttle plate angle and injector duration in milliseconds for each throttle V rpm load point. The ecu interpolates between the load points. Notice how each load point has a different value based on the engines requirements. What makes people think adding one of these devices no matter how they work off the Lambda or the air temp sensor that adds a fuel percentage globally is what the engine needs? You could just up the fuel pressure reg setting and achieve the same result. Do people think when your engine is dyno tuned to maximise it's performance and fuel economy that the tuner just adds or subtracts a percentage of fuel and ignition from the map globally? Do the believers think that 3 or 6% more fuel or whatever at 4000rpm and 50 degrees throttle angle is going to be the same benefit or non benefit as the same percentage at 2500 rpm and 20% throttle angle?
Thats what these things do, add fuel everywhere whether it's needed or not. Not very smart. On top of that the the Lambda style as pointed out will only have any affect good or bad in closed loop operation. Does the engine need more fuel at idle? does it need more fuel cruising at 80kph at a steady throttle opening? Who knows and they don't care. Just give us some money and you can have extra fuel, everywhere whether it's needed or not. 
If it was a carburetted engine would you just go, I've heard these things run lean, so bugger it I'm buying a kit and fitting bigger, idle, main jets, needle and slide and calling it good? Nobody with half a brain and some idea of tuning would do that, but for EFI, well that's what the you are in effect doing. It's just dumb stuff. However if you "believe" and have spare money to throw around it's yours to waste.

Phil   
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 06:01:47 am by lucky phil »
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #16 on: January 05, 2023, 09:44:42 am
Time warp... I thought this question was settled.

Is there not a dyno proof somewhere? If not, ass-feel and those sugar pills  is all you've got.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #17 on: January 05, 2023, 03:41:56 pm
Here's a fuel map I have worked on for an engine I have. RPM and throttle plate angle and injector duration in milliseconds for each throttle V rpm load point. The ecu interpolates between the load points. Notice how each load point has a different value based on the engines requirements. What makes people think adding one of these devices no matter how they work off the Lambda or the air temp sensor that adds a fuel percentage globally is what the engine needs? You could just up the fuel pressure reg setting and achieve the same result. Do people think when your engine is dyno tuned to maximise it's performance and fuel economy that the tuner just adds or subtracts a percentage of fuel and ignition from the map globally? Do the believers think that 3 or 6% more fuel or whatever at 4000rpm and 50 degrees throttle angle is going to be the same benefit or non benefit as the same percentage at 2500 rpm and 20% throttle angle?
Thats what these things do, add fuel everywhere whether it's needed or not. Not very smart. On top of that the the Lambda style as pointed out will only have any affect good or bad in closed loop operation. Does the engine need more fuel at idle? does it need more fuel cruising at 80kph at a steady throttle opening? Who knows and they don't care. Just give us some money and you can have extra fuel, everywhere whether it's needed or not. 
If it was a carburetted engine would you just go, I've heard these things run lean, so bugger it I'm buying a kit and fitting bigger, idle, main jets, needle and slide and calling it good? Nobody with half a brain and some idea of tuning would do that, but for EFI, well that's what the you are in effect doing. It's just dumb stuff. However if you "believe" and have spare money to throw around it's yours to waste.

Phil
I knew that I would regret even acknowledging this thread and that it would lead to the same old crap.
_ I am not writing this to educate Phil. And Phil is not alone in his chosen beliefs. I am replying to this post to let other riders know that not all plug and play devises are the same. 
More importantly, people should know that the existing ECU map is not eliminated or disconnected! It is still there chipping away at throttle angles and AFR and RPM. In fact, our RE 650 fueling is really, really good right out of the box. However, like all brands, it is designed to run as lean as possible without killing the engine and without regard to better performance. Our motorcycles run fine without any tweaking.
_ However, over the years I have seen the hardening of the "Dyno Lord" opinion. They dismiss the laboratory work of guys like Jens and Dale Walker because it makes things simple for the real world riders and is more often than not a better solution for a street bike. Don't get me wrong, dynamometers are essential if one is making big-swing engine modifications to get the new engine in the right ballpark. And thereafter if you want the best drag bike performance on a particular day, at a particular elevation, with a particular fuel batch ... they are indispensable.
_ But that is not where most of us live and ride. We are not going into the pits with our laptops at a race track. We are not strutting across a stage at a bike show to dazzle a slack-jawed audience with slide presentations full of colorful spreadsheets. We just want our personal scoots to run a tic better on any road, at any temperature, every time.
_ To be clear, I do not sell BoosterPlugs. I have been out of the motorcycle biz for many years and have finally achieved the status of recreational motorcycle guy. ;) I do still bunch up at the cancel culture of the dyno crowd who lump all tuning devices together with the sugar pills. I still rant about the lies, big lies and dyno lies.
_ And to his credit, Jens, whom I have never met face to face but have worked with regarding Suzukis, has taken the bold step of calling out the sugar pills and published the differences here:https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms-the_alternatives.html 
_I'm writing this at sunrise on a day of Headline News rain storms and localized flooding. So I'm suiting up and going for a ride on a adventure bike.
Peace
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: January 05, 2023, 03:47:20 pm
All that science, but yet it still works. I'm dumbfounded.

Those sugar pills may not be doing anything, but they sure do taste good.

If ignorance is bliss, I must be the happiest guy here. And I am.

Sometimes being mildly retarded has its advantages.
The road to redemption is paved by dried bodily fluids.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #19 on: January 05, 2023, 09:18:26 pm
All that science, but yet it still works. I'm dumbfounded.

Those sugar pills may not be doing anything, but they sure do taste good.

If ignorance is bliss, I must be the happiest guy here. And I am.

Sometimes being mildly retarded has its advantages.
Why do you have an avatar of a man currently on trial for the rape of four women and looking at Court proceedings a guilty verdict
looks inevitable?
Freedom.

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: January 05, 2023, 09:20:20 pm
Because, back in the old days, when I was first starting out in the business, he was my mentor.

Maybe not so much now, but he used to be my coach.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: January 05, 2023, 09:35:36 pm
Why do you have an avatar of a man currently on trial for the rape of four women and looking at Court proceedings a guilty verdict
looks inevitable?
BrianX is famous for distasteful avatars, it’s his thing. I would point you to the ignore list, but it only blocks his text not avatars.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

hammer

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: January 05, 2023, 11:52:12 pm
 I love sugar pills. When installed on my 2011, 1200cc Sportster, the engine ran cooler and vibrated less. It was adjustable for low-mid-high  but I left it as purchased. A nice match for the V+H exhaust. The one I'm using on the Interceptor is also a keeper. Like sex, if it feels good, do it. Like hotdogs.... I don't want to know how they are made.

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: January 06, 2023, 12:57:14 am
Because, back in the old days, when I was first starting out in the business, he was my mentor.

Sounds like it's time to update your Avatar. Oh wait!

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: January 06, 2023, 04:26:32 am
Who is the bloke?

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: January 06, 2023, 10:27:25 am
BrianX is famous for distasteful avatars, it’s his thing. I would point you to the ignore list, but it only blocks his text not avatars.

Its Brian10x, thank you.

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: January 06, 2023, 10:29:16 am
Lets keep it on topic, please. I came here to chew gum and talk about motorcycles, and I'm all out of chewing gum.

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: January 06, 2023, 11:02:41 pm

Tells us more, what we’re his words of advice?

The people who might be offended won’t be able to see what you write anyway. And every conversation here seems to go wildly off topic, so let’s see how far we can push it.
Been riding since 1980. Live in Bloomfield, NJ.

Current Ride: 2019 RE Conti GT 650

Past Rides: 2002 SV 650, 2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport, 1985 BMW K75, 1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha Vision, 1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550, 1978 Honda 750F, 1980 Honda 650

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: January 06, 2023, 11:30:39 pm
I'm doing my best to behave and keep things clean, family friendly, and on topic.

Suffice to say, I've changed my ways and no longer follow the advice of ruffians and abusive vagabonds. I should probably change my avatar to my true mentor and hero.

(After Soichiro Honda)

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: January 07, 2023, 12:21:47 am
Do they go in the fuel or the oil?
They go in the airbox, but they're only 70% effective.