Author Topic: Himalayan/Scram Upgrade Guidance  (Read 1063 times)

adsy1944

• Scooter
on: December 12, 2022, 02:24:41 pm
Hi guys,

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the forum already.

I'm looking to get my licence sorted in the new year and my mind is set on getting the RE Himalayan in Glacier Blue (if it's available by then). I'll be using it for commuting mostly, for which I can choose between lanes, A roads and Motorway. Most of the time I'll be avoiding the motorway, but I'd like to have it as an option (only about 20 minutes ride on the motorway) if needed.

I'm no speed demon, I just want to be able to keep up, so In order to make it a little easier on the bike to manage 70mph I want to do some upgrades that I've learned about one at a time. My question to you guys, is which order should I do these upgrades, and what are the real world benefits you've found with yours.

I'm considering:
  • 16T Front Sprocket
  • DNA Air filter with high flow inlet
  • Lextek exhaust silencer (or other brand of better and similarly priced)
  • Tec/Hitchcocks Cam upgrade
  • Powertronics(probably base model)

I'd (and I'm sure other newbies) would be grateful for your insight on the order these (or alternative upgrades) should be done, and what the real world benefits are for each. I can probably manage the air filter and exhaust upgrades myself, but would be paying a mechanic to do the rest.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Andy C

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 08:28:32 pm
Hi there.

I would recommend just trying the 16t front sprocket mod, along with the Lextec pipe.

I say this because these are the only "performance" mods I have made to my 2019 Himalayan and it made a noticeable difference - it easily pulls the 16t sprocket.

It may not suit you but it does me, and you might find that you dont need any other mods, and it will save you a lot of cash.

The only other mod I have made is to fit a "Booster Plug" to stop the random cutting out which it was prone to doing.

Just my personal opinion, others may have differing points of view.

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 11:43:53 pm
I've had my Himalayan 2½ years and done 11000 miles.
I've got the TEC cam, Powerage silencer, Delkevic downpipe, FuelX Lite, DIY booster plug.

I tried a 16T sprocket and DNA air filter and cover, but have gone back to standard. I didn't like the effect of raising the gearing, despite the extra grunt, and IMO the air filter doesn't do anything. YMMV.

This set up works for me. I recently did a 1000 mile round trip to a bike show, mostly on fast roads and cruised at 70mph all the way with no issues.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 11:46:12 pm by martinw650 »

adsy1944

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 01:02:04 pm
Hi there.

I would recommend just trying the 16t front sprocket mod, along with the Lextec pipe.

I say this because these are the only "performance" mods I have made to my 2019 Himalayan and it made a noticeable difference - it easily pulls the 16t sprocket.

It may not suit you but it does me, and you might find that you dont need any other mods, and it will save you a lot of cash.

The only other mod I have made is to fit a "Booster Plug" to stop the random cutting out which it was prone to doing.

Just my personal opinion, others may have differing points of view.

Thanks Andy, this sounds like an affordable and sensible approach, even if just at first. I'm hoping that the cutting out issue would have been ironed out by the time I buy one, but I was considering something to help the ECU cope with airflow changes from other upgrades.

I've had my Himalayan 2½ years and done 11000 miles.
I've got the TEC cam, Powerage silencer, Delkevic downpipe, FuelX Lite, DIY booster plug.

I tried a 16T sprocket and DNA air filter and cover, but have gone back to standard. I didn't like the effect of raising the gearing, despite the extra grunt, and IMO the air filter doesn't do anything. YMMV.

This set up works for me. I recently did a 1000 mile round trip to a bike show, mostly on fast roads and cruised at 70mph all the way with no issues.

Thanks Martin, do you find that the TEC cam reduces revs as well as provides more power? Obviously I don't know without having ridden one, but I don't think I'll mind the higher gearing as I don't plan on going fully off road, I just like exploring lanes (and the roads around here are terrible!) Do you know if the cam upgrade voids warranty?

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 02:19:50 pm
Thanks Martin, do you find that the TEC cam reduces revs as well as provides more power? Obviously I don't know without having ridden one, but I don't think I'll mind the higher gearing as I don't plan on going fully off road, I just like exploring lanes (and the roads around here are terrible!) Do you know if the cam upgrade voids warranty?

For me, no. It depends how you ride of course, but I've come to the conclusion that the rpm I ride at, i.e. change gear at etc., is dictated by how the bike feels, not how much power it makes.
When I first put the cam in, I shortly after fitted the 16T sprocket and would have said that it allows you to ride at lower rpm, but after 6000 miles with the cam, I have found I prefer to keep the revs as before, but maybe use smaller throttle openings.
That's personal .....others may prefer something else.
I prefer having more power on hand for hills  headwinds, two-up riding etc.
I think the only way you'll know what's right for you is to try things, you're bound to get conflicting opinions. There is no one right path, and remember, the stock bike is fine, so it's all gravy.

As regards warranty, it's definitely going to void it, but they'd have to spot it and unless they strip the top end, how will they know?
So for claims other than engine related, you'll be fine.
Personally I've given up expecting warranty support from MotoGB and their dealers anyway, after some terrible experiences. >:(

Andy C

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 02:34:47 pm
I think the only way you'll know what's right for you is to try things, you're bound to get conflicting opinions

Could not agree more with Martin.

I was thinking about the TEC cam upgrade, but there seems to be varying reports about it, and just about every time I take my Him out and about I ask myself do I really need any more power and always conclude I am fairly happy with the bike and cannot justify the time and expense to upgrade.

That might change in the future but for now the 16t sprocket, Lextec pipe and booster plug keeps me happy.

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 10:22:58 pm

So for claims other than engine related, you'll be fine.
Personally I've given up expecting warranty support from MotoGB and their dealers anyway, after some terrible experiences. >:(

Nice shot Martin. They look good dirty.

On of the YouTube channels said RE is taking back the franchise from MotoGB so hopefully less angst for your claims over there.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650