Author Topic: Oxygen Sensor Bung eliminator plug......  (Read 3458 times)

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: December 07, 2022, 11:56:02 pm
Don’t quote me but if I remember right, when I installed the Hitchcocks stainless steel pipe and muffler, I believe the Hitchcocks set up shaved off 12 lbs compared to the goofy stock pipe and muffler. 

Who wants to ride around on a single with a goofy as all get out ugly muffler with a crapy chrome job, when you can install a slim and trim stainless steel job that looks beautiful and turns that “puff puff puff” into a “bang! bang! bang!”?

Exactly!  Well stated.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #16 on: December 08, 2022, 12:20:40 am
Who wants to ride around on a single with a goofy as all get out ugly muffler with a crapy chrome job, when you can install a slim and trim stainless steel job that looks beautiful and turns that “puff puff puff” into a “bang! bang! bang!”?
I suspect the guys in this video who are NOT wearing the uniforms, (the fellows with the ruefull expressions) regret making choices along the lines you describe:
https://youtu.be/HGBG_6q44cs

Personally, I like a quiet machine, with parts paid for on day one and no unpleasant surprises.

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: December 08, 2022, 12:42:16 am
I suspect the guys in this video who are NOT wearing the uniforms, (the fellows with the ruefull expressions) regret making choices along the lines you describe:
https://youtu.be/HGBG_6q44cs

Personally, I like a quiet machine, with parts paid for on day one and no unpleasant surprises.

Apparently, those guys (with the uniforms) don't have a sense of humor!   ;D

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: December 09, 2022, 06:17:35 am
No it does not with a Euro 4 bike which absolutely needs it when in closed loop (everything up to 60% column in the PC5 map).
PC5 only have effect on 80% and 100% throttle columns.

Sure you can remove the O2 sensor but you will never be able to have a good result in the closed loop zone.
I spent quite some time trying to make it work to no avail then I exchanged some mails with Hitchcocks.

Quote :

Q : This means I should re-install the stock O2 sensor ? The O2 optimiser is of course installed on my Euro 4 535 but I replaced the O2 sensor with the usual plug with a resistor on the input of the optimiser box.
I also have the Dynojet Autotune installed with a Wideband O2 sensor. Should I disable it for anything except 80 and 100% throttle opening ?
I can see my current setup does not work with low to mid throttle openings. The autotune want to go too lean and the bike does not work correctly.
Should I keep the same values from your map from 0 to 60% throttle ?  (closed loop region ?)

A : With the Euro 4 bike, the Autotune unit will only be able to control the 80% column, 100% column and high rpm range (it's much more limited in its effective range compared to other bikes). Below these throttle openings and rpm, the fuelling will be controlled by the 02 optimiser. You should tailor the map to suit this if you are using the Autotune unit so that it does not try and control this area.

Q : should I reinstall the stock O2 sensor connected to the O2 Optimiser ? The sensor is currently removed and replaced by a resistor plug connected to the O2 Optimiser.

A : Yes, you must have the bikes stock 02 sensor connected, with the 02 optimiser running in line of this sensor and the bikes wiring loom.

A useful post from Dan concerning this subject is lost somewhere in the 33 following pages : https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=29864.0  ;D

I forgot to mention. My GT being a EURO 3, I have not come across any issues and the cut out after rolling off then back on again that you've described.
It's been pretty easy and straight forward to tune with good results with no hiccups at all.

It's top speed is 102mph/164kmh with 17/36 gearing touching the stock rev limiter.
59 Club UK/Australia
Instagram : @modern_day_rocker

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 09, 2022, 08:56:16 am
Buying a Euro 4 535 was a mistake as it makes injection tuning a lot more complex and less effective :'(

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 09, 2022, 10:08:19 pm
If you install a Power Commander 5, It does away with the O2 censor.  Regardless what year of 535 you have.

KD5ITM - Dynojet support won't help customers who remove the O2 sensor. There were way too many HD bagger riders who had to explain why their baggers were only going to be ridden on the race track. Not a loss really. My B5 set up just fine with O2 in place using the AutoTune sensor.

Here's my Carpy header from my CGT 535 header with the O2 plugged and the larger AutoTune plugged.... for now anyway!
ACE Motors - sales & administration

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: December 09, 2022, 11:34:44 pm
Buying a Euro 4 535 was a mistake as it makes injection tuning a lot more complex and less effective :'(

Possible a Mikuni TM36 or a TM40 Pumper? Least you'll still have the PCV to tweak Ignition timing. They are fantastic high performance Carburettors.

The Euro 4 system to tune just sounds like a pain and compromise.

Unless you can get a complete Euro 3 harness and ECU?

Mine had been so easy to tune it feels like I'm cheating!
59 Club UK/Australia

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #23 on: December 09, 2022, 11:45:26 pm

Don't worry about it, buying the GT 535 is a mistake in itself.  ;)

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: December 10, 2022, 12:12:22 am

And this is our emotional support group. Full of fellow mistake makers. Haha
59 Club UK/Australia

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #25 on: December 10, 2022, 12:27:11 am
And this is our emotional support group. Full of fellow mistake makers. Haha

Darwin Award applicants, to be more accurate.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #26 on: December 10, 2022, 01:48:45 am
That's what people keep telling me. I can't convince them that it's the perfect motorbike with the correct number of cylinders.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: December 10, 2022, 02:55:30 pm
No carburettor as we will soon get a mandatory "Contrôle Technique" for the motorcycles here with pollution and sound measurements. It will be easy to reinstall stock catted exhaust with an appropriate map every time a check is required. Having to remove the carburettor and reinstall the injection + the exhaust would be too boring  ::)

;D

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 10, 2022, 03:00:32 pm
Here's my Carpy header from my CGT 535 header with the O2 plugged and the larger AutoTune plugged.... for now anyway!

Your wideband sensor won't last long here. It needs to be installed at least 50cm away from exhaust port. It's a lot more fragile than a narrow band O2 sensor.
That's the reason why I installed it behind the brake pedal :

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 10, 2022, 07:33:54 pm
"Your wideband sensor won't last long here. It needs to be installed at least 50cm away from exhaust port. It's a lot more fragile than a narrow band O2 sensor.
That's the reason why I installed it behind the Brake."

You might have a different product from the US version. Here's from the manual:
 "...it’s recommended to position the weld bung/sensor approximately 6-inches from the exhaust port on the respective cylinder you wish to tune."

Dynojet support was very supportive! I asked about the placement on my header. For HD big twins, they recommend 1/2" from the head. So the answer was mine would be alright.
Yes, it's surprising but it worked just fine.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 07:37:21 pm by Guaire »
ACE Motors - sales & administration