Author Topic: Easy Rider Rights Holders Intent On Reboot For Modern Viewers  (Read 5101 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
https://www.rideapart.com/news/624397/easy-rider-remake-in-works/
Nov 30, 2022 : Dustin Wheelen
According to Variety, the Dennis Hopper-directed cult classic that captured a generation of outcasts, hippies, and renegades is next up on the Hollywood remake assembly line. While Columbia Pictures distributed the original film, the adaptation rights currently belong to Maurice Fadida’s Kodiak Pictures, the Jean Boulle Group, and Eric B. Fleischman of Defiant Studios.
“Our goal is to build upon the counterculture and freedom narrative the original left us with, and give the youth of today a film that pays serious attention to their own countercultures and challenges,” Fadida told Variety. “What the young viewers of today are experiencing in their everyday lives may seem crazy to older generations, but it can very well become the societal norm, as was the case with the cultural shift of the late 1960s. We are hoping to play a part in that shift.”
That approach may seem like a suitable way to transpose modern issues onto Easy Rider’s drug-addled biker Odyssey plot, but Fadida is forgetting one thing: motorcycles don’t represent the same things to Boomers and Gen Zers.
We can’t pretend that illicit biker gang activity doesn’t persist until this day. However, motorcycles aren’t the same cultural phenomena as they were in the ‘60s and ‘70s. Appealing to today’s youth with a biker-based narrative seems like an even harder sell considering that many Millennials and Gen Zers remain reluctant to purchase motorcycles themselves.
As a counterargument, let’s not forget that Sons of Anarchy and Mayans M/C consistently drew audiences to their television sets. On the other hand, those properties don’t carry similar artistic/socio-political ambitions or cater to the same audience as Easy Rider. With my “Hollywood is running out of ideas” rant out of the way, I truly hope that Fadida and crew can do Dustin Hopper’s magnum opus justice. As a Millennial motorcyclist, I’ll be pulling for the underdog.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 07:52:49 am
I hope they can do it it justice, so many movie remakes fall short. Easy Rider was not a biker movie so much as it was a counter culture odyssey or hippie western. So little of the counter culture of that time survives and that makes me wonder how that film would translate today. I have a practically life long connection with the original film starting at age 14 when I first saw it to ending up living in the town where Hopper lived and some of the movie was shot and knowing Hopper himself and visiting his grave once a year.  A few years ago I worked with a film crew on a Hopper documentary ended up in the movie for a few minutes and got mention in the credits at the end, somewhat short of Warhol's 15 minutes of fame. A still from that movie in front of the theater  that Dennis owned in Rancho de Taos back in the late 60's. Karl the movie star. ::)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 07:54:53 am by Karl Childers »

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 10:49:59 am
Actually I thought Easy Rider did the whole Democrat versus Trump thing rather well.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 01:27:14 pm
I truly hope that Fadida and crew can do Dustin Hopper’s magnum opus justice. As a Millennial motorcyclist, I’ll be pulling for the underdog.[/font][/color]

Who's Dustin Hopper ??? ???

There has been SO much water under the bridge since I saw Easy Rider at the Campus Theater (the theater was NOT on a "campus") in 1969 that any simple comments from me are pretty much insignificant in the whole scheme of things. I was 30. I went back twice in the same week trying to get my head around it.

Prior to ER (and after) there had been nothing but really awful (REALLY awful*) "biker" movies from people like Roger Corman (and others even Worse) and one that Sandy Alexander was involved in that was a bit closer to reality. And yes, Hopper & Fonda were in some of these awful "biker" movies. So was Jack Nicholson. And Bruce Dern.

And like Karl said, ER was not really a "biker" movie. It was sort of like Woodstock was to the music business. It was the first small independent movie to make millions worldwide & showed that these small independent movie companies could make a dent in the industry.

"Yes, Virginia, they were using real drugs". And so was I.

Then much later we had to get through the whole Orange Country Choppers Clown Show that fucked up the whole thing even more.

I won't make any predictions, but how the hell can you remake Easy Rider :o :o It makes no sense.

* The word awful is insufficient.
      Disclaimer: I was riding on the back of harleys from the age of 11 in 1949. I was indelibly imprinted for life as strongly as Konrad Lorenz' geese. Not so much with the Motor Company itself which I had no more use for from around the late '70s on. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 02:23:41 pm
Will the remake of Easy Rider have the guys riding electric motorcycles and stopping every 100 miles for four hours while their bikes recharge and they sell drugs to the locals while waiting for enough battery power to travel another 100 miles?   ;)  Gotta bring the plot and motorcycles up to date.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 02:38:40 pm
Will the remake of Easy Rider have the guys riding electric motorcycles and stopping every 100 miles for four hours while their bikes recharge and they sell drugs to the locals while waiting for enough battery power to travel another 100 miles?   ;)  Gotta bring the plot and motorcycles up to date.  ::)

...and don't forget using everybody's correct pronouns and trigger warnings so no one is offended or feels unsafe & has to run from the theater holding their hands over their ears. And godforbid there should be any of those awful harleys in it.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 02:39:02 pm

Instead of tripping in a New Orleans cemetery with hookers they'll be drinking lattes at Starbucks and posting on twitter. ;D

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 04:38:10 pm
I assume this remake will be a mini series on Disney Plus ?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 06:04:27 pm
"Then Came Bronson" combined with "The Wild Ones"?   ::)

I have Easy Rider and Little Fauss & Big Halsey on DVD. I drag them both out once a year & reminisce.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 06:46:27 pm

I have Easy Rider and Little Fauss & Big Halsey on DVD. I drag them both out once a year & reminisce.

Me too and I also had On Any Sunday but that was on video tape which is gone now, I keep meaning to pick up a DVD copy of the film.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 10:22:52 pm
I have both of those movies, too. Plus, some more old ones. All on VCR tapes.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 11:44:49 pm
@ #10: VCR?!? ... someone needs his grandkids to make some DVD's or video files... ;D

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 11:58:36 am
I was surprised to learn from an interesting article at https://filmschoolrejects.com/easy-rider/ that there actually was  an "official" direct-to-DVD sequel or prequel of sorts made to Easy Rider  in 2012 titled, Easy Rider: The Ride Back (aka Easy Rider 2: The Ride Home). For what it's worth, you can currently catch a free bootleg of it on YouTube right here: https://youtu.be/caVX9yffK_I. And yes, it IS awful.

So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 02:16:35 pm
Bilgey, thanks for that! Very good article if I disagree with one small thing it was the section on cocaine use. In the extras section of my DVD of ER Fonda was quoted as saying they purposely did not identify the white powder they scored in Mexico on dirt bikes to later sell to Phil Specter's character, (could have been heroin too) they just wanted it to represent the worst drug a person could use. My own recollection of hippy culture at the time was the phrase "Stay away from needle drugs, the only dope worth shooting is Nixon." Back to the symbolic evil drug it is what sealed the pair's fate and doomed their journey.  The picture of the Mexican Cantina where the drugs were scored has been a furniture store on and off for years now amongst other things. Local Taoseno's played the other parts. It is in El Prado NM and I drive by it and a number of film locations frequently, a lot was shot in my area besides the road footage as Hopper lived here at the time. At this point I could probably do my own movie location tour.

I didn't know of the sequel, no matter how bad it is I will have to watch it!  ;D

This is the store front in El Prado  I used to purchase floor tile there not hard narcotics :
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 02:22:50 pm by Karl Childers »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 06, 2022, 03:20:18 pm
Bilgey, thanks for that! Very good article if I disagree with one small thing it was the section on cocaine use. In the extras section of my DVD of ER Fonda was quoted as saying they purposely did not identify the white powder they scored in Mexico on dirt bikes to later sell to Phil Specter's character, (could have been heroin too) they just wanted it to represent the worst drug a person could use. My own recollection of hippy culture at the time was the phrase "Stay away from needle drugs, the only dope worth shooting is Nixon." Back to the symbolic evil drug it is what sealed the pair's fate and doomed their journey.  The picture of the Mexican Cantina where the drugs were scored has been a furniture store on and off for years now amongst other things. Local Taoseno's played the other parts. It is in El Prado NM and I drive by it and a number of film locations frequently, a lot was shot in my area besides the road footage as Hopper lived here at the time. At this point I could probably do my own movie location tour.

I didn't know of the sequel, no matter how bad it is I will have to watch it!  ;D

This is the store front in El Prado  I used to purchase floor tile there not hard narcotics :

"Por La Vida, mano. Por La Vida"  :) :) ;) ;) 

I'm pretty sure it's cocaine. No, I'm totally sure.

The character Spector plays would not be a heroin addict & unless he was a heroin addict, he would NOT have snorted it if it was heroin.

Cocaine? Yes. Absolutely. He would not have closed the deal without tasting it.

(Yes. There's a "taste" )