Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 10727 times)

Racer57

• Grease Monkey
Reply #135 on: January 29, 2023, 03:19:06 pm
So this brings up a question about ratings.
 I wear a Schuberth C5 helmet which carries an ECE 22.06 rating in the European market but a DOT rating in the US.
 Are they the same helmet? Surely they make one helmet for both markets and just submit to different testing organizations, right!?
Here an example of a helmet with a DOT helmet to give you an idea of the quality of that rating.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #136 on: January 29, 2023, 05:50:49 pm
So this brings up a question about ratings.
 I wear a Schuberth C5 helmet which carries an ECE 22.06 rating in the European market but a DOT rating in the US.
 Are they the same helmet? Surely they make one helmet for both markets and just submit to different testing organizations, right!?

Yes same helmet.
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #137 on: January 29, 2023, 05:55:03 pm
Here an example of a helmet with a DOT helmet to give you an idea of the quality of that rating.
That does not address my question in the slightest.

My Question is this, since it seems be be hard to understand:
 If a helmet is designed & manufactured to meet ECE 22.06, and can not be sold in the USA without a DOT rating, would the company start from scratch to make the same model to pass DOT? Or would them just test the already superior ECE helmet against DOT standards?

2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #138 on: January 29, 2023, 06:32:28 pm

If a helmet is designed & manufactured to meet ECE 22.06, and can not be sold in the USA without a DOT rating, would the company start from scratch to make the same model to pass DOT? Or would them just test the already superior ECE helmet against DOT standards?

i cant see why an ECE rated helmet couldn't pass DOT. i feel like anything you stick on your head with a strap could probably pass DOT lol. it seems its up to the company to see whether its worth paying to get DOT certification.

shoei has ECE-only models which im sure some retro helmet lovers would love over here (like the badly named shoei glamster). i guess its not worth it to them to get DOT certification done, seeing as the biggest market in the US are harley riders and they certainly will never wear full face helmets lol.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 06:49:29 pm by iblastoff »

Racer57

• Grease Monkey
Reply #139 on: January 29, 2023, 07:37:32 pm

My point was to show that if a helmet isn't able to pass DOT, Id be afraid to drop it on a bed. Sorry I didn't explain it better.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #140 on: January 29, 2023, 10:17:09 pm

No the DOT standard isn't that hard to pass so the same helmet would be used.  My Arai has DOT and Snell stickers on the back.

from AGV's website:

"Despite the weakness of the laws, the DOT standard is the most important standard for helmets to meet in the United States as it is a mandatory requirement. Most real motorcycle helmets used in the USA meet DOT standards. The Department of Transportation tests are less strict than some other tests but still weed out inferior helmets.

There are four separate tests that a helmet must pass to qualify for DOT certification. A helmet must pass an impact test, a penetration test, a retention strap test, and a peripheral vision test. While these tests are not easy to pass, the standards are more lenient than for some other motorcycle helmet certificates."

https://agvsport.com/blog/which-helmet-standard-is-the-best-snell-dot-ece-sharp-or-fim.html

2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

PrinceValiant

• Scooter
Reply #141 on: January 29, 2023, 11:02:10 pm
Not a bad overview

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/helmets/how-to-choose-the-best-motorcycle-helmet

Arai and Shoei manufacture using the 'egg theory ' that the shape will dictate your head rolling or deflecting over road hazards /kerbs etc .

The US market is very different to the rest of the world in relation to ' personal freedoms '

An observation , nothing more .