Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 10730 times)

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #105 on: January 25, 2023, 05:01:01 am
In the US, there is two ratings. DOT and Snell. For a DOT rating, the manufacturer submits a helmet they select for testing. Once the one helmet has passed then the entire line is qualified for a DOT sticker. Full coverage DOT rated helmets can be purchased for less than $100 and up. Imho, they are perfect for keeping rain and bugs out of your eyes. For a Snell rating, Snell goes to a retailer and takes one off the shelf for extensive testing. All major US racing originations require a Snell rating or the European FIA rating.

Btw, I raced Sprint cars and Midgets for over 20 years.

No real need for a helmet then.

Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #106 on: January 25, 2023, 05:58:56 am
No real need for a helmet then.

Phil

Oh ouch  ;D ;D ;D

How about when it tips over and the car's riding along on your head?

simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #107 on: January 25, 2023, 06:01:31 am
In the US, there is two ratings. DOT and Snell. For a DOT rating, the manufacturer submits a helmet they select for testing. Once the one helmet has passed then the entire line is qualified for a DOT sticker. Full coverage DOT rated helmets can be purchased for less than $100 and up. Imho, they are perfect for keeping rain and bugs out of your eyes. For a Snell rating, Snell goes to a retailer and takes one off the shelf for extensive testing. All major US racing originations require a Snell rating or the European FIA rating.

Btw, I raced Sprint cars and Midgets for over 20 years.

snell rating is meaningless

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #108 on: January 25, 2023, 07:32:18 am
snell rating is meaningless

ECE/FIM kicks it's arse... you actually want to avoid a Snell rating, since the two are incompatible.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #109 on: January 25, 2023, 07:50:21 am
Oh ouch  ;D ;D ;D

How about when it tips over and the car's riding along on your head?

As I said, no need for a helmet. Nothing of value to protect in a speedway car driver. Maybe track protection for the next meeting when the riders go around I guess.

Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #110 on: January 25, 2023, 09:37:05 am
Pretty cool looking. Can’t really do all black helmets in Texas….

Why not?

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #111 on: January 25, 2023, 12:30:37 pm
Why not?
Lots of sun and 100°+ temperatures
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #112 on: January 25, 2023, 01:13:02 pm
First let me say that I am a big fan of both Hoiho and FortNine. ;)
Below is a link to an article that I think is pretty fair handed and comprehensive about the standards and testing.

Helmet standards will become more meaningful when we standardize motorcycle crashes.
_ Race track crashes are barely comparable to what we experience on the street. Race tracks make huge efforts to provide padding around the whole environment, escape routes and enforce one-way traffic. Obviously, that is very different from where we ride. Our path is surrounded by steel guard rails, buildings and power poles. Then add in the cage'r army who seem keen to seek and destroy us.
_ Helmets are essentially a second skull. Like our skulls helmets need to defend against crushing, penetration and the brain smashing against the head bone during impact. Priorities pretty much follow that order.
_ I notice that there is a major influx of research in the area of American football helmets as regards brain injury.
https://agvsport.com/blog/which-helmet-standard-is-the-best-snell-dot-ece-sharp-or-fim.html
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: January 25, 2023, 02:07:35 pm

My helmet is black. I live in Tucson, where the summers get hot enough to cook bacon. I tell people its a minor inconvenience.

"I'd rather sweat a little than bleed a lot."
The road to redemption is paved by dried bodily fluids.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #114 on: January 25, 2023, 02:42:01 pm
Oh, right!
 But isn't there some distance between shell and one's bonce? Would colour actually make a difference?

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #115 on: January 25, 2023, 02:46:32 pm
I sport a bushy blonde afro, which helps insulate my head from the heat.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #116 on: January 25, 2023, 04:00:28 pm
Oh, right!
 But isn't there some distance between shell and one's bonce? Would colour actually make a difference?
Yep
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #117 on: January 25, 2023, 04:05:00 pm
Oh, right!
White reflects light/heat, black soaks it up. It must have some effect.
I had a black hire car in Italy  some years back, we, out of interest turned of the aircon to see how long we could last.
Not long at all.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #118 on: January 25, 2023, 04:23:13 pm
As a light-skinned black man, I can relate. I was darker when I was a boy, and I used to get quite a bit hotter than my playmates. Now that my skin tone has lightened, Summers are much more pleasant. Although, there is a small, dark spot on the base of my skull that gets really hot, for some weird reason, at night while I'm sleeping. I've tried probing it with a small, wooden-handled buck knife after cleaning thoroughly with 97% alcohol. My man-servant (actually a young boy) observed a small spark from the tip of the knife during the probe and ran from the room screaming in an weird Tagalog dialect. The heat was enough to force a gigantic booger to shoot from my left nostril at near supersonic velocity and impact the wall of marital aids on the wall with sufficient impact to dislodge a bust of Napoleon that had been nailed to the credenza.

But I digress...

Racer57

• Grease Monkey