Author Topic: Bigger Injectors?  (Read 779 times)

Neoyeti

• Scooter
on: January 29, 2023, 07:04:44 pm
Hey,

Last year I bought an Int650 (I'm in the US) and love it. I love it so much I pressured my brother to get one. (back story my dad grew up riding English bikes in the '60's so these bikes are right up are alley - my Mom was 7 months pregnant with me when she stopped riding on the back of my dads Triumph!) My brother is a machinist in Montana so he bought the bike and immediately started to modify it (he has raced bikes all his life and has the tools and know how). He put in a big bore kit, pipes, cam, new Ohlins out back, Yss up front, ECU and now is needing some bigger injectors. Has anyone installed bigger injectors in their bikes? If so what did you install and how were the results? He did dyno his bike the other day and while it is for sure more powerful it isn't what he wants. (I apologize that I don't have the numbers but will get them and post them)

Also has anyone found a good stabilizer for the front? When my bro did a shake down run he hit over 100 pretty easy and it was a little twitchy in his words.

Oh and I will be visiting him and getting some juicy mods later this spring when the weather is better -- I'm just letting him beta test everything.  8)
Prev bikes: XL125s, DR650, TDM850, GPz750, CBR600F2, ST1300

Ton1959

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 08:48:23 pm
Hey,

Last year I bought an Int650 (I'm in the US) and love it. I love it so much I pressured my brother to get one. (back story my dad grew up riding English bikes in the '60's so these bikes are right up are alley - my Mom was 7 months pregnant with me when she stopped riding on the back of my dads Triumph!) My brother is a machinist in Montana so he bought the bike and immediately started to modify it (he has raced bikes all his life and has the tools and know how). He put in a big bore kit, pipes, cam, new Ohlins out back, Yss up front, ECU and now is needing some bigger injectors. Has anyone installed bigger injectors in their bikes? If so what did you install and how were the results? He did dyno his bike the other day and while it is for sure more powerful it isn't what he wants. (I apologize that I don't have the numbers but will get them and post them)

Also has anyone found a good stabilizer for the front? When my bro did a shake down run he hit over 100 pretty easy and it was a little twitchy in his words.

Oh and I will be visiting him and getting some juicy mods later this spring when the weather is better -- I'm just letting him beta test everything.  8)

You wont need a stabilizer. Has your bike got the Ceat tyres ?

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 09:09:49 pm
Hey,

How does he know it needs bigger injectors? Whats the flow rate on the std injectors? If the std injectors are indeed going full duty cycle at WOT max rpm by a small margin It may be easier to use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and up the pressure by a small amount. The pump has more capacity than the the rated pressure by around 17% or so. You can get a nice aluminium external fitting for these. If you do use one of these there's even a chance it was assembled and calibrated by me. How could you go wrong:)
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/griffith/motorcycle-scooter-accessories/epicycle-racing-variable-pressure-fuel-regulator-/1051201118

Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 09:53:36 pm
Tell him to look up Revelry in Australia.  They drag race big bore Enfield twins and have developed a larger injector kit.
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 05:25:56 pm

Tell him to torque the steering head bearings to about 16-18 Nm, stock torque is 8 Nm. And if he hasn't already, ditch the stock tires. The front end will be transformed.

When you said ECU, do you mean he got a Power Commander, or something else? With a big bore kit he really needs to have his bike dyno tuned by someone who can crack the stock ECU and write a new map. The advantage of doing it that way is that ignition timing can be optimized and each cylinder can be tuned separately, which mine needed. I have a guy in NY State, but that's a long way from Montana. I have the high compression 650 kit and the Hitchcocks stage II cam and headers, S&S pipes, etc.

A PC cannot adjust timing, or each cylinder, and frankly my tuner found it impossible to make work, as it seemed to have some serious, and probably lawyer induced, limitations on it.

Unless you're drag racing and need WOT performance all the time, you probably don't need bigger injectors. And if you do, then you'll probably want a ported head with bigger valves too. The rabbit hole gets deeper. Revelry Cycles in Australia makes both the head and bigger throttle bodies, and then you get to start from scratch with tuning. And now your rabbit hole looks like a pyre where you get to throw all of your money and watch as it goes up in smoke.
Been riding since 1980. Live in Bloomfield, NJ.

Current Ride: 2019 RE Conti GT 650

Past Rides: 2002 SV 650, 2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport, 1985 BMW K75, 1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha Vision, 1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550, 1978 Honda 750F, 1980 Honda 650